Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My cholesterol

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited October 2005 in General Banter
I found out last week that I have high cholesterol. It's the kind that is high because of genetics. My doctor says that my diet will bring it down halfway but the other half has to be controlled by medication. Being that I can't eat fruits or vegetables or fish I need some ideas for low cholesterol meals. Thanks.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    I'm sorry to hear that Jason. If I knew of anything I would certainly tell you, but I know very little about good dieting. All I know for sure is to lay off the eggs. They have a lot of cholesterol. Perhaps lean cuts of chicken would help to lower it as well. Beef and pork tend to be fattier and therefore higher in cholesterol. How about tofu? Are you allergic to that? I know it's not the tastiest, but it's certainly healthy and free of cholesterol.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Changing your diet and lifestyle will make some difference and will be hard work. I speak from experience.

There are some things that you can do immediately: processed foods contain more fat than unprocessed; skimmed milk may taste like water but we get used to it; change to olive oil wherever possible; cut down on cheese until you can cut it out (except for special occasions); eat turkey rather than chicken; eat more oily fish such as salmon (not tinned tuna) There is a lot of information on cholesterol-lowering diets on the Net, I imagine.

I hope your doctor has started you on statins. It is now up to you to become an expert on cholesterol: know the difference between the different types, understand the results of your blood tests so that you become able sensibly to monitor and understand your progress.

Good luck, my friend!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Yea, I meant turkey... really... ok I didn't, but you know... they're both birds and um... they don't fly much... nevermind. I don't know much about food if you couldn't already tell. I still can't cook a damn thing besides scrambled eggs and grilled cheese.

:lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Thought this might provide some interesting reading. I was sent this by a friend who is a research Chemist. He's also extremely bolshy and anti-establishment, so he's not one to believe something just because he reads it somewhere.... he's actually a bodybuilder too, and you have no idea the care he takes of himself... his body is his temple.... no artificial additives, preservatives or colourings...!!

take a look.....it's very interesting.... :wow:

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Thanks everyone. My doctor gave me Crestor and he prescribed Lipitor but that is expensive so I have to rely on his free samples of Crestor until my insurance kicks in. Only a few more weeks until I get it activated. I have been eating wheat bread, oatmeal, and turkey breast. I spent a few bucks more and got the better mustard I like. Might as well get the kind I like. I was wondering how many Mg of cholesterol I should have each day. Anyone know?
    edited October 2005
    Thanks everyone. My doctor gave me Crestor and he prescribed Lipitor but that is expensive so I have to rely on his free samples of Crestor until my insurance kicks in. Only a few more weeks until I get it activated. I have been eating wheat bread, oatmeal, and turkey breast. I spent a few bucks more and got the better mustard I like. Might as well get the kind I like. I was wondering how many Mg of cholesterol I should have each day. Anyone know?

Crestor (rosuvastatin) has had a dramatic effect on my cholesterol levels. I no longer take Lipitor, although I have loads of other stuff I have to take - including bloody beta blockers!!!

As for how many mg of fat to eat: you will soon find that the 'experts' disagree on this, just as the disagree on how much difference diet can actually make to levels!
  • edited October 2005
    Sorry to hear that, Comic! I have to watch mine as well because of the history of high cholesterol in my family. I just had mine checked and it was fine, but my doctor was surprised at the number because of how I eat. So, here are some ideas for you:

Replace harmful fats with healthier fats, such as monounsaturated fat. Foods high in monounsaturated fat include olive and canola oil, avocados, almonds, and peanuts.
    Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids including flaxseed oil (you can buy flaxseed oil at a health food store and add it to things, but do not cook with it). Foods rich in lycopenes (tomatoes and watermelon) also help to lower cholesterol. Can you eat either of those? Since you are a man, those two items are also great for preventing prostrate cancer.

I know you can't eat vegetables, but if you can stomach any of these things, they are helpful in lower cholesterol:

garlic
    onions
    shiitake mushrooms
    artichokes
    carrots
    soy products
    red chili peppers
    grapes (because they are high in flavonoids)
    Orange juice (also high in flavonoids)

Foods high in soluble fiber are very helpful in lowering cholesterol levels, especially LDL. Brown rice bran and oat bran are particularly useful. A lot of breakfast cereals that contain soluble fiber from psyllium seeds are also a very effective way to control cholesterol levels. Combining a psyllium-enriched cereal with a whole-oat cereal may be an even more effective cholesterol-lowering strategy.

I hope that helps you out a bit! Keep us posted!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    And don't eat at work!

-bf
    edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    And don't eat at work!

-bf

Especially not pizza!!!
    edited October 2005
    Riiiiiiiight... that's what I'm thinkin'

Step away from the Pizza, Comic. Do not heed the tempting words of Mara the Pizza and his Three Daughters of Toppings.

-bf
  • edited October 2005
    Unless, of course, the pizza is topped with artichokes, garlic, onions, red chillis, grapes and oranges. Oh, and made with soy cheese! DELICIOUS!
  • edited October 2005
    Comic,

Here is a good site for understanding Cholesterol. It has a lot of information and diet info.
    http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1516

Hope this helps.
    edited October 2005
    Yeah... but think about what that crust is made out of and what it's cooked in.

Almost as bad as my lovely Ding Dong Woman.

-bf
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2005
    if you want to have beef, try replacing it with buffalo meat instead. Buffalo actually tastes better than beef, and is low fat and healthier than beef.
  • edited October 2005
    I found out last week that I have high cholesterol. It's the kind that is high because of genetics. My doctor says that my diet will bring it down halfway but the other half has to be controlled by medication. Being that I can't eat fruits or vegetables or fish I need some ideas for low cholesterol meals. Thanks.

Can you take Omega-3 Fatty Acid pills? My doc recommended that I take them because I have high cholesterol.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Probably. No fruits or veggies is the main thing. I like soy milk but it tears up my throat.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Just out of curiosity - has anyone checked out the link I posted earlier? (post#5) What do you guys think of the info contained, if you have? It's pretty punchy, and blows a lot of holes in the high-cholesterol myth.....
  • edited October 2005
    I forgot one big thing to help you out. Find a good multivitamin with Niacin in it. It has to be TRUE Niacin...not niacinamide. There is a huge difference in the two. Niacin really helps to lower cholesterol.

Federica...I have not checked out the link you posted yet, but I will!
  • edited October 2005
    Fed, I read your link. Makes you really wonder who is right and who is ... As for me, I just take thing with a grain of salt and do the best I can.

Brain, Buffalo is much better tasting than Beef. If you can find it.
    edited October 2005
    federica wrote:
    Just out of curiosity - has anyone checked out the link I posted earlier? (post#5) What do you guys think of the info contained, if you have? It's pretty punchy, and blows a lot of holes in the high-cholesterol myth.....

I read it and I have a question: if it ain't cholesterol, what is it that had blocked 4 out of 5 of my cardiac grafts?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2005
    MoonLgt, for some reason here in michigan, it's not hard to find buffalo meat. Well, you can't get it at a supermarket, but you can get it at a decent meat shop or at many restaurants.