Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All of you.

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited October 2005 in Sanghas
This is a very interesting site.

There are many interesting people involved with this site.

I'm typically not inclined to place much thought or validity on something born of the internet because it seems so fickle and fleeting at times.

Seldom do things escalate to the point where it is reduced to a forum of shouting - like in many other forums.

For some, that do not live around a temple, this is the only place they can come to for guidance or knowledge or the experience of others.

Everyone that participates is taking part in helping further each others education.

For as temporary as "this" might be - I'm glad to have "met" the people involved in this forum.

-bf

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I second that emotion.
  • edited October 2005
    I third that emotion!
  • edited October 2005
    _/!\_
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Likewise.

I feel that not only is this an excellent medium for sharing Dhamma, but it is also an excellent medium for sharing ourselves. Here you are free to speak as openly as you wish, and as little as you wish. It's personal enough to get support and encouragement, but impersonal enough to be yourself without the fear of overbearing scrutiny. How many things have I shared on this forum that were difficult and personal... a few at least.

I have found that this is a good training ground as well. When I practice Right Speech here, I am perfecting it so that I can use it just as effectively in my everyday affairs. When I read posts as objectively as I can, I am perfecting that skill for when I am listening to someone that I may not "like". That way I can cultivate more compassion and patience which benefits both me and the person I feel some form of "aversion" for. Even if I do not "like" said person I can still attempt to listen and be fair.

Even if I have never physically met 99% of the people here, I still feel a close bond with you all. That includes the people I don't "like" as well. Sometimes you all piss me off, but I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

Helping you has helped me to learn more, while you helping me has helped me to learn more. No matter which way I look at it, I am benefiting. I have an enormous amount of gratitude for that.

The biggest lesson I think I have learned from this site is that Buddhism isn't about being "perfect". It's about making mistakes skillfully. If you do well, good. If you don't do well, good. You learn either way, and you just do the best you can.

Just because something is impermanent doesn't mean it has no value.

_/|\_

Jason

Three cheers for Brian for making this community possible!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    ... Sometimes you all piss me off, but I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

I love it.

Leave it to you to provide us with even more "truth".

-bf
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Just because something is impermanent doesn't mean it has no value.

That is a beautiful and very wise thing to say.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Well, I only saw this after my last post on the Vegan and vegetarian thread running in 'Buddhism 101' so I have to agree with BF.... Long may this Sangha continue, develop, change, evolve and grow..... ;) Hya Brian!

Thank you all.... :)

Sometimes you all piss me off, but I wouldn't have it any other way. ;) Nice to know we're consistent!! *LOL!!*
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I pity the fool who don't like this site.
  • edited October 2005
    Ahhhh...there's the Mr. T humor! I am glad you are back!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Well if I start to slip you all have to keep onto me.:bowdown:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Ooooooooh, you can count on it....!! ;)
  • edited October 2005
    Me, too! I like all the diversity here. I am learning new things everytime I visit this site. I am finding out about other belief systems that I knew nothing about and I find it fascinating.

Adiana:mullet: :rockon: :bowdown: