Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Toothache..

edited October 2010 in Meditation
I have a severe toothache tonight.

My meditation time has gone on for nearly 3 hours or so, a bit more than normal, after a few failed attempts at sleep. :)

Heh, i keep thinking "I'm calling the dentist first thing in the morning." I keep thinking "This has been going on for sooo long now." Then when I focus only on the moment I realize, only for that moment, that I only have pain this moment... A moment of pain is an easy thing to bear.. What an enlightening thing, this damn toothache!

Anybody have any similar experiences?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Yes - and I made an emergency appointment with the dentist ! :)

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I once had such a bad tooth ache that I resorted to trying to pull the tooth myself with some pliers. It didn't come out, I was literally screaming with the pain and went to the dentist first thing the next day. I can say that has been the worse pain of my life
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Agree toothache is up there with the most intense and difficult physical pain I have experienced also, ... now have regular check -ups . Still haven't got around to getting my eyes checked yet though. The birth of my first child I managed in a similar way to how you describe - having run half marathons and cycled long distances it was as physically demanding with the added dimension of pain with the contractions.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Either chew or rub some garlic on the area. That has made every toothache I have ever had go away within about 10 minutes. Not too good for the breath though =)
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Dentist, of course.

But when you can not get to one right away, you'd
    be amazed at the pain relief you will get from oil of cloves.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had the tooth pulled today.

Having it pulled was not as enlightening as the late night meditation session. I was definitely present during each moment of the extraction, but not so mindful, and anything BUT accepting.

Now, after a week, I'm finally headed back to pain-free sitting, for the time being.
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had the tooth pulled today.

Having it pulled was not as enlightening as the late night meditation session. I was definitely present during each moment of the extraction, but not so mindful, and anything BUT accepting.

Now, after a week, I'm finally headed back to pain-free sitting, for the time being.

Glad to hear that you're free from tooth pain now, drussell.

Lots of good wishes for the meditation practice. :)