Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Profound Inner Peace and Laziness

edited October 2010 in Meditation
IanAnd wrote: »
The absorption state, when cultivated over time, assists the mind in being able to retain its sense of quietude and stillness, even beyond its practice in meditative states. Such a state of peacefulness outside of meditation is known as passaddhi, which just means "calm" or "a profound inner peace." This translates into an increase in the practitioner's ability to remain in a "mindful" state of mind for increasingly longer and longer periods of time away from meditative states.
From http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127995&postcount=18

I seem to be able to get passaddhi, the peaceful state right after having gone through jhana. Been able to do that at will since young, able to "slow down and observe just about anything". I learned languages, music, and any form of mimicry that way. But I'm lazy.

You see, this passaddhi that I experience makes me so "at ease" that I can just die, and be nonchalant about it. Makes me passive and detached.

The moment I start working hard for something, I snap out of this passaddhi. I become intense, even corrupted. People around me will say things like "oh you should keep at that, you do it so well". I then start having goals (piano, music, languages, sports, anything), hobbies. I then start to lose my passaddhi, as I start craving for excellence, to toy with my potentials. Comes to a point where I actually think "I wish you can have my skills and potential, so I don't have to bother with them!"

I seem to latch on to other people's cravings, completely empathizing with them, and 100% making their cravings my own.

Is it wrong to want nothing from life, and just pass away as a matter of course? Am passive and observant, even to the point of observing my own ailments and pains. How do I renounce samsara (and the household life, and other "normal" worldly possessions)? I have family to feed, and I don't have a palace of wealth to feed them (unlike Buddha). Perhaps I put on hold my "renunciation tendencies", and live out my current karma in feeding my family? Perhaps next life, I will have a more conducive setting?

How do I enter jhana? I do feel a lack (or diminish) of "physical sensation". But I have to constantly maintain posture, and maintain mindfulness. I don't think that means I am totally detached from "physical sensation" (a symptom of jhana?).

I have so many illusions, I wish a teacher can dig into my mind and help me identify the "fakes". The passaddhi suppresses my 5 hindrances for days on end, and I mistakenly think I "directly experienced detachment". The hindrances can come back anytime, even with the slightest aromas and imageries.

I don't even think I truly have passaddhi. Maybe I really am just a "very observant and lazy person".

Doubt. A terrible hindrance.

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I don't think I have ever entered Jhana in this lifetime, how do you know that what you are experiencing is a Jhana?
  • edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever entered Jhana in this lifetime, how do you know that what you are experiencing is a Jhana?
    Exactly! I don't know. For the longest time, I've been meditating on my breathing, and such. I felt like I haven't made any progress.

But I do like to experiment and study. I take a new hobby, a mad interest in something, and I let it go at its peak. I go into meditation and "let go". I feel a detachment from the hobby, from the person selling the hobby, from my peers into the hobby (I give up competing and having fun with them). I let my peers surpass me, and I wished them well. (Mind you, I'm mad about this hobby).

In that way, I've cut off many addictions in my life.

So, I think I had attained passaddhi (really?). But give it a few days, without meditation, I see a new band playing a new song, and I'm all intense again. Jhana is not enlightenment. :(

The most i can say is that I "comprehend" all that is taught by the Buddha. But mere comprehension does nothing for me. It's like watching a musician on TV, and going "oh i know how he does that", but me personally not training to do that. At least with music, my ears can tell me whether "I'm there yet" or not. With meditation, I get no peer reviews!
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Let me re-phrase that: What are the defining characteristics of your experience of Jhana?
  • edited October 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Let me re-phrase that: What are the defining characteristics of your experience of Jhana?
    Detachment, like "nothing matters at all". Impermanence, like "go with the flow, let the scenery pass".

A "I can stay like this" feeling. Calm-abiding?

A "There is nothing to do" feeling.

A "Just Be" feeling.

A feeling of detachment also because I realize that no one in this world is truly in danger, only in suffering. Ya, a big stress to me is seeing others suffer vicious cycles.

A "I'm free from having to maintain a body" feeling. (I eat a lot). Free from foul and decaying attachments.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I've been meditating on my breathing, and such. I felt like I haven't made any progress.

Ditto lol, it has been 18 months of non progress on and off for me... I also can relate to what you said about being peaceful during meditation but as soon as you attempt to do something as in a hobby or anything of this nature, you quickly resort back to the striving and monkey mind.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Hi viewport and ThailandTom it looks to me like you guys are experience temporary cessation of delusions due to tranquility meditation. But without insight meditation the karmic traces and dispositions will just spring back in to force. Do you have a coherent view? Right View can easily be dismissed, after all its only the first of the 8 noble path. A lack of a firm view would leave the meditation subject to transience with no conceptual framework. By Right View I mean a world view that incorporates your Buddhist meditation, you can't just have meditation as just some sort of hobby and still expect results. The other potential problem is that you could be sucked into a form of subtle dullness. You may need to refresh you meditation if dullness maybe sneaking in by stealth. Look at http://http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/sutra/level2_lamrim/advanced_scope/concentration/achieving_shamatha.html and check out some of the factors that effect meditation.

Try reading Mind at Ease by Traleg Kyabgon, it is great book on insight meditation that focuses directly on mind. I think both of you may benefit from this book.

Lastly, or rather firstly, see your teacher.

Cheers, WK
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Basically, I do not meditate anymore... I see it as a chore and never get around to it. However, in my every day life I see most situations from a buddhist point of view. I see an attachment, or a way to be compassionate, or I see other people displaying negative traits and feel sorry for them, the list goes on. I would however like to be able to see the world with a firm understanding of non self/dependent origination, something which has evaded me.

I have tried insightful meditation, something I have tried after some focusing on the act of breathing. I found that my mind was so still and so relaxed I could not think a single thought... Therefor could not gain much insight what so ever.

But yea, I feel the same now as I did one time at school in a math lesson. I was okay at math, I was lumped in the top group but I was the lower part of the top group. There was one lesson I distinctly remember where there was a process being explained and we all had to go through it as a class. I fell behind and did not understand properly and became very frustrated and emotional. It is similar to how I feel about meditation right now, I feel I have failed at it and seem to make no progress at it what so ever
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Basically, I do not meditate anymore...
    I would however like to be able to see the world with a firm understanding of non self/dependent origination, something which has evaded me.

Coincidence?
  • edited October 2010
    Basically, I do not meditate anymore... I see it as a chore and never get around to it. ... I feel I have failed at it and seem to make no progress at it what so ever
    Yes, it is a chore. The 5 hindrances are not severed, so we need to do regular housekeeping. Progress can be simple: just successfully diminish your cravings and aversions. Simple as that. There are many "tricks/techniques" to reducing craving, including the odd meditation on "revulsion" (though this increases aversions). Think of the object as it really is, decaying and impermanent. The first step is in realizing the unsatisfactoriness of everything in samsara. (But I must warn you, after realizing that, you better have a good place in Buddhism to go to, or you'll be left stranded in a desolate place without nothing to do)

Now, my question is this. How do I know if I've successfully gone into jhana? I'm a pretty observant person, can slow down and precisely experiment with different techniques. If someone can just bring me to jhana, and show me "now that's jhana", I'll know the "end-goal" (so to speak). As I try different aspects of approach, I'll know "this works, that doesn't".

I now have a new question, related. How do I know when I have severed the 5 hindrances? Enlightenment? Is it even possible, given that the sense-bases (eye, ear, etc) are still there?

Is there a jhana master I can seek help from?

(My only attachments are to responsibilities. If I'm all alone, I'll be able to let go. I'm rather industrious, so I'm not stranded in a desolate world after realizing everything is unsatisfactory, impermanent. "Nihilism" isn't even a problem for me, since I'll just be converting my "energy (matter)" to fertilizers at least. Rebirth and teething pains is more worrying than nihilism.)

EDIT:
    Shamatha (zhi-gnas, calm abiding) is a stilled and settled state of mind that has the accompanying mental factor (sems-byung, subsidiary awareness) of a sense of physical and mental fitness (shin-sbyangs, flexibility). This is an exhilarating feeling of fitness to be able to concentrate on anything for as long as we wish.
    From
    http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/sutra/level2_lamrim/advanced_scope/concentration/achieving_shamatha.html

Now, that definition is useful. That's the end-goal I seek, to know "I've been there, or not". I can concentrate on anything for as long a I wish, which is how I can analyze and learn just about anything I put my mind to (complex little skills, not voluminous medical studies). So, I now know I have Shamatha, at will. What about jhana? I need to know I'm "there on 1st base", then I can confidently reach for 2nd jhana and beyond.
    edited October 2010
    Hi Viewport,

You need wisdom to move on, for that you need insight. What methods are you using to achive insight. You can watch your breath or body for ever and go nowhere. There are stories that I've read from Tibetan teachers who talk about a cave in the mountains where Chinese found a group of meditators who had been there so long there bodies were essentially mummified. The teachers were saying that these meditators had found a false state where all they could do was stagnate. They probably thought they were really good meditators :) Apparently, according to the story I'd read (or heard can't remember), the Chinese cut open their organs and drained out the fluid for medicine! I've probably got the story all wrong but that's what I remember from it.

You need to take the next step, that doesn't involve more shamata meditation. Also fixation on results will lead you absolutely nowhere, it won't work.

Viewport what's your motivation? You shouldn't really answer that here but you should seriously consider it within.

Good luck
  • edited October 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »
    You need to take the next step, that doesn't involve more shamata meditation. Also fixation on results will lead you absolutely nowhere, it won't work.

Viewport what's your motivation? You shouldn't really answer that here but you should seriously consider it within.
    Good luck
    Hi! That story about stagnation is exactly what I'm going through. Either I'm living life normally (craving and all), or I'm all mummified when I go into jhana.

My motivation. Hmm. Ever since i was born, I've had this longing for a place. Like a forest, but, pristine, gentle. No violence. I was among monks. This world is so peaceful. No one had violent thoughts or bad thoughts.

We were kids. Even the old teachers (monks too) behaved like kids. We had fun. All kinds of games, unwavering good sportsmanship. We were all... gymnasts, it seems. I brought the natural agility and flexibility (I stretch easy) to this life, it appears. Born with it now. We were having so much fun doing cartwheels, flips, flying around. And then, I had to leave. I forgot why.

This life, I was born with dexterity (i use both hands), speed, fun-loving nature. I always open and close doors and cabinets "3 at a time" (2 hands, 1 leg). I find that fun. I haven't met anyone to play with on that "level".

My motivation? I think, maybe I miss home. Or... I don't really like it here in this current world. It all seems so different, the people, the thoughts and inclinations. But I'm here now, for better or worse.

You probably notice, I never go for noir fiction/movies. I'm a happy person, and mean people make me sad. Just hearing a friend say "I'm so happy to see him suffer, hah! that'll show him". That made me feel so bad.

Gotta go. Talk later.

EDIT: Oh, 1 more thing. In that world, there were no females. No families. No boy-girl relationships. Unheard of there. I have no idea how we all came into being.
    edited October 2010
    "... Idleness overpowers one strong in concentration and weak in energy, since concentration favours idleness. Agitation overpowers one strong in energy and weak in concentration, since energy favours agitation. But concentration coupled with energy cannot lapse into idleness, and energy coupled with concentration cannot lapse into agitation. So these two should be balanced ; for absorption (Jhāna) comes with the balancing of the two." (Vism. Ch. IV, §47, ¶2)

I would start reading some about how the Buddha recommended one to cultivate Energy (viriya) because a lack of that seems to be your problem yes?
  • edited October 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    "... Idleness overpowers one strong in concentration and weak in energy, since concentration favours idleness. Agitation overpowers one strong in energy and weak in concentration, since energy favours agitation. But concentration coupled with energy cannot lapse into idleness, and energy coupled with concentration cannot lapse into agitation. So these two should be balanced ; for absorption (Jhāna) comes with the balancing of the two." (Vism. Ch. IV, §47, ¶2)

I would start reading some about how the Buddha recommended one to cultivate Energy (viriya) because a lack of that seems to be your problem yes?
    Wow, this balance between concentration and energy is really interesting. Energy as in "food"?

Yes, you're right about me encountering idleness sometimes during meditation. That means, I need to go about my day normally (food and exercise, cleaning, housekeeping, etc), in order to get the requisite energy and conducive setting for jhana. I understand that this "jhana" can feel "sparse in awareness/attention" when I'm weak in energy; I drift in and out of consciousess, that is. I've tried fasting and meditating, and that gave me a "high" feeling which I thought was jhana. But that feeling was useless, I was merely resting and doing nothing.

Which comes back to my original question. During proper jhana, I'm able to apply my mind (think of anything I want), and able to sustain my attention (even to rotate and solve a rubic cube in my mind). Problem is... that jhana feeling seems perfectly... normal to me. Nothing special.

Point is... I don't know what true jhana feels like. I'm sure there's a spot-on description of it somewhere. I need to know what jhana feels like, so I'll know when I'm there. Otherwise, I might tread away from jhana itself, not knowing I'm already there.

EDIT:
    I'm not feeling idle in meditation; I can create solutions and analyze problems in there. I'm feeling detached and disinterested in this world, that's what I meant by "mummified during jhana". Call me weird, but I have this feeling that it's not quite normal to be around people with ill will. I was born into a normal family with normal squabbles, so I really don't know where this "weird perspective" comes from. I deal with angry people normally (appease, assist). See my previous post on some weird world.
    edited October 2010
    Point is... I don't know what true jhana feels like. I'm sure there's a spot-on description of it somewhere. I need to know what jhana feels like, so I'll know when I'm there. Otherwise, I might tread away from jhana itself, not knowing I'm already there.
    Or, you might mistake the feelings you have, for it, when those feelings are not it. I'm sure there are many lengthy descriptions of it around somewhere. However, it seems to me that your practice is centered around "getting proper jhana" yes? As I understand practice, the purpose is to let go of all these things, including letting go of "getting jhana". The craving to enter proper jhana could easily prevent it from ever happening. As I understand it, the "end goal" is simply to let go, let go, let go, not to get anything in particular. As the heart sutra says "No attainment with nothing to attain".

Also ,as I understand it, if one can truly "let go", then being around people with ill-will is no problem. Not making progress in meditation is no problem. What progress is there to be made? Being around people who are craving is no problem. Living in an empty world is no problem. Having worldy goals is no problem. Perusing hobbies is no problem. As I understand it, all these problems, if fact ALL problems, come from a craving for something. When there is no craving, there are no problems, regardless of anything. What is it that you are craving for? Find that and let go of it and then I think your problems will disappear. Easier said than done! :)

Also, what I posted above I think equally applies to daily life as well as meditation practice.
  • edited October 2010
    However, it seems to me that your practice is centered around "getting proper jhana" yes?
    Not really. Thing is, I feel calm-abiding already. As I mentioned (here?), I can solve rubic cubes in my mind in meditation (that's applied and sustained thought). Not too tough for memory, really, just 9 squares per side. I believe humans have a thing for visualization and memory (easier to remember visuals, just as how you remember a phone number on a keypad).
    As I understand practice, the purpose is to let go of all these things, including letting go of "getting jhana".
    Yes, I would wanna let go of it if it's an impediment. Currently, it calms me to the point where I can even avoid flinching from any pain. (It's weird, kinda like shutting down the nervous system, dangerous, because we're supposed to flinch away from pain). I almost feel like I'm a robot, with artificial memories and thoughts.

Is jhana so dangerous that I must let it go? Despite the incisive tools i get with it? I need to know if I'm actually having jhana in the first place. I wish someone can just dig into my mind and tell me.
    The craving to enter proper jhana could easily prevent it from ever happening.
    Actually, I find it hard to get out of jhana. As I mentioned, I kinda become "mummified in jhana". The mind is separate from body, and there isn't even a need to seek physical refreshments. Now this happens only if I'm lyind down. If I'm meditating sitting up, I'm still attached to the body via "maintenance of muscle tone" (so the body doesn't collapse into an unconscious heap).
    As the heart sutra says "No attainment with nothing to attain".
    The heart sutra? Isn't that in Mahayana? I don't know, but I'm not too inclined to believe in a wide myriad of mystical bodhisattvas. In my meditations, there are no sense feelings, no music, no zen-like setting. Just pure thought, no imageries.
    Also ,as I understand it, if one can truly "let go", then being around people with ill-will is no problem.
    Not that it's a problem for me. Hmm, maybe I wrote too much. Gist is... I miss a place where there was no ill will. How about this... if you lived among gentle spirits, would you miss that if you were suddenly thrust into a prison with crude people having shallow or bad thoughts?

I understand your "letting go" advice. However, I'm nowhere near that ideal state of nirvana. I can barely identify my own jhanas! The only thing I have could be passadhi (inner peace?). Mastery over the mind, cravings and aversions... that doesn't mean I have insight enough for nirvana.
    Not making progress in meditation is no problem. What progress is there to be made?
    My concern isn't about making progress in meditation. It's about laziness! (The title of the thread?).

Long story short. I have extreme agility, fast, quick. Dunno how to explain that, but I suspect it comes from calm-abiding (verify?? not sure). Yet, whenever I get into jhana, I get a passadhi that makes me "lazy to live in this world". My problem is in "letting go"! Ironically.

You know what. Maybe this will cut through all my messy words. I wake up every day expecting to see a decrepit old face in the mirror. To me, my body is already broken. A foregone conclusion? I enjoy it, yes, the vitality and dexterities. But I see it as "already gone".

I'm being told by normal folks in life "you, son, are wasting your talents, go do something big!". But I wanna leave everything behind (everything that I know will fade off). It's so.. hard... to explain!

Maybe if you'll see me play the piano for you, sing, play a sport, flip and fly around. And then, after I catch my breath, I face you squarely, and say "I wish you can have all of that, because people always slap me for not appreciating any of that".

I know this isn't a shrink's couch. I just thought I might give some background, because somebody mentioned "know thy motivations".

Look, my question is simple. I think I enter jhana at will easily (2 seconds or 2 minutes, depending on what my previous activity was). I need a teacher to tell me if I'm doing it right, and whether I'm in any danger. Yes, I enjoy the jhana. Problem is I'm getting lazy (as in "I don't feel like I want anything in this life").
    Also, what I posted above I think equally applies to daily life as well as meditation practice.
    Ah, that's it, I think. After having jhana, I don't think I can apply myself "normally" to normal daily life.

2 questions:
    1. Am I having jhana, or am I in danger?
    2. Is it normal to feel lazy once I have jhana?
    edited October 2010
    viewport wrote: »
    Not really. Thing is, I feel calm-abiding already. As I mentioned (here?), I can solve rubic cubes in my mind in meditation (that's applied and sustained thought). Not too tough for memory, really, just 9 squares per side. I believe humans have a thing for visualization and memory (easier to remember visuals, just as how you remember a phone number on a keypad).

Have you tried using applied and sustained thought to something that is applicable to the path, instead of rubic cubes? ;)
    Is jhana so dangerous that I must let it go? Despite the incisive tools i get with it? I need to know if I'm actually having jhana in the first place. I wish someone can just dig into my mind and tell me.
    A wise master teacher can do that.
    The heart sutra? Isn't that in Mahayana? I don't know, but I'm not too inclined to believe in a wide myriad of mystical bodhisattvas. In my meditations, there are no sense feelings, no music, no zen-like setting. Just pure thought, no imageries.
    Yes it is Mahayana. It is hard to tell who is what tradition on these forums. :) However, I don't see it as coming from a mystical bodhisattva. It was written by a wise master that was an actual human being.
    Not that it's a problem for me. Hmm, maybe I wrote too much. Gist is... I miss a place where there was no ill will. How about this... if you lived among gentle spirits, would you miss that if you were suddenly thrust into a prison with crude people having shallow or bad thoughts?
    If one could truly let go, then I would think the answer would be no, it would make no difference whatsoever.
    My concern isn't about making progress in meditation. It's about laziness! (The title of the thread?).

Long story short. I have extreme agility, fast, quick. Dunno how to explain that, but I suspect it comes from calm-abiding (verify?? not sure). Yet, whenever I get into jhana, I get a passadhi that makes me "lazy to live in this world". My problem is in "letting go"! Ironically.
    "Now what do you think, Sona. Before, when you were a house-dweller, were you skilled at playing the vina?"
    "Yes, lord."
    "And what do you think: when the strings of your vina were too taut, was your vina in tune & playable?"
    "No, lord."
    "And what do you think: when the strings of your vina were too loose, was your vina in tune & playable?"
    "No, lord."
    "And what do you think: when the strings of your vina were neither too taut nor too loose, but tuned[1] to be right on pitch, was your vina in tune & playable?"
    "Yes, lord."
    "In the same way, Sona, over-aroused persistence leads to restlessness, overly slack persistence leads to laziness. Thus you should determine the right pitch for your persistence, attune[2]the pitch of the [five] faculties[to that], and there pick up your theme."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.055.than.html

Your strings are too loose? Perhaps tighten them up with more emphasis on development of right effort (Vīrya) and less on concentration?
    Look, my question is simple. I think I enter jhana at will easily (2 seconds or 2 minutes, depending on what my previous activity was). I need a teacher to tell me if I'm doing it right, and whether I'm in any danger. Yes, I enjoy the jhana. Problem is I'm getting lazy (as in "I don't feel like I want anything in this life").
    So go get a teacher.
    2 questions:
    1. Am I having jhana, or am I in danger?
    If you become too lazy to eat or take care of your body, then yes I would say you are in danger. :lol:
    2. Is it normal to feel lazy once I have jhana?
    According to the above sutta, laziness does not occur when the 5 faculties are balanced.
  • edited October 2010
    Have you tried using applied and sustained thought to something that is applicable to the path, instead of rubic cubes?
    Ya. Have "realized" (direct experienced) many things that way. Eg, see that a person with momentum takes some time to stop, don't snap anything in haste. See my 5 hindrances, be aware, and diligently calmly reduce their intensities. See the unsatisfactoriness of samsara pervading. But I stop short of seeing nirvana.

A few nagging details remain.

Nagging 1. I have sense bases, and they sense things. I do all I can to regularly diminish their flames. (Easier to do when I see the unsatisfactoriness)

Nagging 2. I can at most deposit myself temporarily in jhana and passadhi, my only temporary refuge from the naggings (of body, hindrances, etc).

I can and do help others along the way. But I realized long ago that I best leave things to "the flow", and I merely point out feasible paths to help. I often find that things get better without me trying, and get worse with me interfering (an extreme illustration to show that "natural order of things is higher than me").
    Yes it is Mahayana. It is hard to tell who is what tradition on these forums. However, I don't see it as coming from a mystical bodhisattva. It was written by a wise master that was an actual human being.
    Sorry. I had a prejudice against a tradition that paint fantastical imageries that incense the senses. But you're right. I can't knock something I don't know, and this heart sutra could be true. I seem to be focusing too much on the unsatisfactoriness of my "raft", rather than on crossing the river.
    "Now what do you think, Sona. Before, when you were a house-dweller, were you skilled at playing the vina?" ... over-aroused persistence leads to restlessness, overly slack persistence leads to laziness. Thus you should determine the right pitch for your persistence, attune[2]the pitch of the [five] faculties[to that], and there pick up your theme."
    Perfect.

You mean I should "be normal" in daily life as much as possible? Joke with my friends, indulge with them a bit, get on with normal life? And yet, balance that with my jhanas and path to nirvana?

My strings are too loose for normal life. But I suddenly realized, perhaps from your words, that I should find my practice within my normal life. Practice calm and perseverance using my work as a "raft", not an end-goal.

It seems somewhat naturally contrasted, the household life and the path. But I'm still gonna continue trying. I'll snap out of my jhana habits (they feel so good!).
    So go get a teacher.
    Which is why I'm asking for somebody here to tell me about my jhanas. I can't find anybody elsewhere.
    If you become too lazy to eat or take care of your body, then yes I would say you are in danger.
    Sigh. I do take care of it. But I eat so much. It's such a hassle. I really tried eating less, I see myself weakening below functionality. I really have such a high energy requirement.
    According to the above sutta, laziness does not occur when the 5 faculties are balanced.
    I'm not lazy in jhana. I organize things, solve problems, in my jhanas, until I decide to rest and let it all go.

Maybe I should give up my jhana, because they highlight a contrast with body life. A contrast too stark to ignore or reconcile. I can't find any jhana teachers anyway.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010

how about reading 7 factors of enlightenment (saptha-bojjanga) again(?)
    and
    think over it

when there is laziness, Buddha advices to work on Dhamma-viccya, viriya and prithi
    when there is unsettled mind to work on passadhi, samadhi and upekka
    edited October 2010
    My strings are too loose for normal life. But I suddenly realized, perhaps from your words, that I should find my practice within my normal life.

Someone once asked my teacher how long should we practice meditation each day. He said "24 hours a day, 7 days a week" :)
  • edited October 2010
    Someone once asked my teacher how long should we practice meditation each day. He said "24 hours a day, 7 days a week" :)
    Yup, he's right. Just mindfulness alone is quite a feat. Being mindful of every single experience 24/7 is tough enough, let alone mindful of situations (myself and others).

I do that 24/7, minding my own vedana and such (vipassana). On a normal week, I can miss as much as 80-90% of my thoughts and volitions. With passadhi, maybe just 5-10%. (by "volitions", i mean the selfish thoughts! for eg, when I say "I feel tired this week", I catch myself feeling "I don't feel like doing this")

One curious phenomenon I'd like to share. When I am applying my mind, and sustaining it on a subject (a skill, hobby, work, or even meditation on dhamma), there seems to be less room for "my own thoughts". Or rather, less room for wild and random monkey thoughts.

I did try "idling the mind" before. A lot of rubbish came up. Even in jhana, I have to "apply and sustain" my mind at all times. It's hard to explain how such "effort" can be relaxing. Maybe it's like you said, a well-balanced string can "hum" forever; a taut or loose string will ring or wobble out soon.
  • edited October 2010
    hi viewport,

i glanced through your posts and replies to them... it seems to me that you are not on the right track. The purpose of meditation is to realise or see the true condition of reality. Which frees us from all the delusions and sufferings attendant to the delusions... for instance your question of should you be lazy in the jhana or not, or are you in first jhana or not etc... all these are more questions, every jhana you reach there are further questions, further sense of maintenance and potential of losing the state.... We need to reach a point where there is no more question and there is nothing to gain or lose, and that is the real goal of meditation, which brings the mind back to its original awakened home... To reach this ultimate realisation where we wake up from all our ordinary delusions. Questioning, doubt, maybe-yes, maybe-no, am i sure, all these nagging haunting thoughts are creating subtle suffering in you. If one reaches true absolute clarity and wisdom, even such subtle sufferings will all end.

Practice the true path of Buddhism... which is to have realisation. Not just experiences that fade with time... for eg. can you have jhana all the time when you are working etc. But if you have realisation, it is functioning all the time, you can't lose it even if you want to... it changes you completely.

My suggestion is that you take some time to study the real viewpoints of Buddhism, in terms of non-self, emptiness and pursue the meditations that bring you to true insight.

Just my opinion, hope helps!
    edited October 2010
    Hi Viewport,

I second many of what people have to say here. I think that there is already enough information here for you to find something. Whatever you try make sure you follow it through and don't jump onto something else on a whim when it hits. We are living in an age of short term solutions, short term selling tactics and short term tweets. Everything flashes into existence and fades away. Ideas like perseverance and discipline are lacking in our society. Our news is quick flashy and superficial, our companies work on short term goals. What we as Buddhists need to do is go against this trend. There is a trend in modern Buddhists to try something for a while until laziness kicks in and we try something else. Normally we justify our reason for not persevering, but it is just an excuse. Really, to some degree, we are creations of our society.

So basically, when the answer is there, it is our responsibility to make a commitment and follow it through.

As to what you describe above in your dreams, one interpretation is you are having memories from a previous higher birth. You know what that means you are on the way down! You may not believe in the traditional rebirth model of Buddhism, though with dreams like that I would at least give it some possibility if I were you. So, possibly being on the down hill slope, I would seriously try to work on a beneficial motivation. At the moment the motivation appears to be to regain what's lost, that's not a very good motivation. If possible, boddhicitta would be the best goal rather than personal liberation but personal liberation is very good as well. With both of these you can reverse the downward trend and be of benefit to yourself and others. But really, the reason why your meditation is not successful is because you lack sufficient motivation. I suggest you work on that and the rest will follow.

Good Luck, WK
  • edited October 2010
    hi viewport,it seems to me that you are not on the right track.
    You're right. My "right view, right behavior, and such" all disappear when I re-enter normal society. I should not waver, should not find things here so jarring. For eg, a friend said "the lady in front of the queue, she's (insert terrible things), holding up the queue". The queue was moving just fine. I often wish I can have my "old friends" (my dreams), the place where people are calmer. But that is the wrong motivation, wrong track.
    The purpose of meditation is to realise or see the true condition of reality...
    Practice the true path of Buddhism... which is to have realisation. Not just experiences that fade with time...
    My suggestion is that you take some time to study the real viewpoints of Buddhism, in terms of non-self, emptiness and pursue the meditations that bring you to true insight.
    I know all that theory the Buddha put to us. There is no constant unchanging self, and no self (merely fabricated). There is emptiness (minus fabrications, but not nihilism). Since there is no nihilism, something else is there (awareness?).

As I mentioned in my posts, mere comprehension of Buddha's teachings don't work for me. I need to personally experience his teachings, test them, dispel doubts about them.

Moreover, there are parts of Buddha's teachings I can't reconcile. How do we have metta without thoughts? We don't have thoughts without mind, no mind without consciousness, no consciousness without dukka. So, let me see. Without ignorance, there will be no consciousness. This is an age-old contradiction, to reach a place of "no consciousness" while riding the raft of "consciouness (meditation)". Only direct experience (insight PLUS comprehension) can let me see "the other shore" that Buddha mentioned.
    So basically, when the answer is there, it is our responsibility to make a commitment and follow it through.
    Ok, I'll persevere. I'm already born into this world, so I should calmly observe the dukkahere, not jump in with the dukka. I'm already with a body, so I should calmly care for it without attaching to it.
    As to what you describe above in your dreams, one interpretation is you are having memories from a previous higher birth. You know what that means you are on the way down! ... the motivation appears to be to regain what's lost, that's not a very good motivation
    The Buddha did mention that every good karma will be used up. Liberation is the only end to suffering. Perhaps next life, I can be born without a family to take care of, and can give up the household life. In this life, I seem trapped. I've been hit by cars (my body), had accidents, fallen from high. The body just can't manage to die off (not that I'm suicidal). I'll persevere, and live through this life (or sentence).
    If possible, boddhicitta would be the best goal rather than personal liberation
    Done that. Helping others while I myself am ignorant, I do more harm than good. Anyway, most people in dukka are not conditioned to receive true help. Perhaps the only "boddhicitta" proper is to just offer them the dhamma, and let them help themselves.

I do find it natural to teach others what I can (all the odd skills I seem to be born with). Many honestly-seeking people have benefited (learned what I know), even though they still don't "see" instinctively as I do. There are so many ways to "learn" a skill, so interesting.
    With both of these you can reverse the downward trend and be of benefit to yourself and others.
    Maybe I shouldn't be "trending" anymore? Everything oscillates, back and forth.

I am of no benefit to others. I inspire envy, greed, lust, anger in people (those who are already thus inclined, though), even if I do nothing. But I do inspire and help those who are "better inclined". It really seems people just benefit themselves around me; I am of no benefit to anymore.

But you're all right. I have craving for a "better past", and aversion for the current life. No sanctuary (my past?) can last forever. No suffering (my present?) can last forever. But when I remove craving and aversion, I am left quite empty. Maybe I should abide in this "empty" feeling? But that's when the "laziness" kicks in. I don't feel a need for ambition, for aversion (correcting others). That's what I mean by "laziness in this society". I am very organized, diligent, meticulous person (I even organize my dad's stuff, and he likes the organization).
    edited October 2010
    OK Viewport, I suggest that you try to be more forgiving of yourself :) . Even though we are ego driven, we also tend to be our own worst enemies! Boddhicitta can start merely with the desire to help others- or maybe helping yourself with the motivation to help others, it doesn't have to be direct assistance. That comes with time. The most important thing that I can say though, is Buddhism can work with a family and it works quite well. Don't take the Buddha's lead too literally, sure renunciation is important, but it can be a mental renunciation rather than a spatial renunciation.
    viewport wrote:
    Moreover, there are parts of Buddha's teachings I can't reconcile. How do we have metta without thoughts? We don't have thoughts without mind, no mind without consciousness, no consciousness without dukka. So, let me see. Without ignorance, there will be no consciousness.
    What you need to find is non-conceptual awareness, this is not what we call our intelligence, it is the direct result of insight. Believe it or not, intellectual confusion is often a preceding condition to the dawning of insight. Another book I can suggest is "Buddhist Existentialism" by Robert Miller it describes to path to emptiness very well and explains how confusion can dawn as wisdom. As to a more specific answer to your question above, the notion of spontaneity is one way to answer these questions, but it is a very advanced topic and one that is lost on intellectual discussion. If you are interested in finding out more on this then I repeat my suggestion to read "Mind at Ease" as it is addressed in that book. Ah... and one last thing :) in the tradition that I follow we have some sayings that we use in relation to our meditation, "Don't hope for success or fear failure", and in relation to meditative experiences "They are neither good or bad". In other words expectation is the enemy of meditation.

Cheers, WK
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I'm not lazy in jhana. I organize things, solve problems, in my jhanas, until I decide to rest and let it all go.

From my understanding of what "Jhana" is, there is no organizing nor problem solving whilst absorbed.
    Maybe I should give up my jhana, because they highlight a contrast with body life. A contrast too stark to ignore or reconcile. I can't find any jhana teachers anyway.

Ajahn Brahm is always talking about Jhanas.

I believe that you might have wrong perceptions about what Jhana actually is. But then again, I don't know because I have never experienced Jhana.
  • edited October 2010
    What you need to find is non-conceptual awareness, this is not what we call our intelligence, it is the direct result of insight. Believe it or not, intellectual confusion is often a preceding condition to the dawning of insight. Another book I can suggest is "Buddhist Existentialism" by Robert Miller it describes to path to emptiness very well and explains how confusion can dawn as wisdom.
    Is Robert Miller's explanations in the sutras? I'm curious how it takes a person from the west to understand someone from the east. Fascinating. I'll read it. In fact, I'm starting right now, reading some of his stuff on the web.

My jhana (if you can call it that) are of 2 types.

First type is constant awareness (applied and sustained thought). I get to observe anything in there, solve any problem.

Second type is absolute emptiness (only possible when lying down). I lose all muscle tone (that is, muscles don't sustain enough effort to even hold up the neck). It's deeper than sleep. No dreams, no thoughts, no awareness.

I'm not sure which is a jhana. As you can see, the 2 types conflict. (Hence my question on laziness, pertaining to the second type).
    Ah... and one last thing in the tradition that I follow we have some sayings that we use in relation to our meditation, "Don't hope for success or fear failure", and in relation to meditative experiences "They are neither good or bad". In other words expectation is the enemy of meditation.
    No craving, nor aversion. Ok. :)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010

First type is constant awareness (applied and sustained thought). I get to observe anything in there, solve any problem.

Second type is absolute emptiness (only possible when lying down). I lose all muscle tone (that is, muscles don't sustain enough effort to even hold up the neck). It's deeper than sleep. No dreams, no thoughts, no awareness.

I'm not sure which is a jhana. As you can see, the 2 types conflict. (Hence my question on laziness, pertaining to the second type).

Neither experience sounds like Jhana to me.
    edited October 2010
    I have tried insightful meditation, something I have tried after some focusing on the act of breathing. I found that my mind was so still and so relaxed I could not think a single thought... Therefor could not gain much insight what so ever.
    Hi TT, this is deficient meditation. It can be caused by attachment to the bliss of meditation, also lack of awareness. If you want to avoid this situation then you should try to lighten up your meditation, try not to enter so deeply. Even a partially stilled mind can find insight, it doesn't have to be fully immersed in samadhi and in some cases, your being one, full immersion is counter productive. The only book that I know that talks about this state is Mahamudra the moonlight quintessence, though I cannot find where it is, the book is only 400+ pages! It talks about removing the "moisture" of the meditation, I remember this because I experienced a state like this myself and it reminded me of this book. The way I moved on from this, after locating it in the book, is that I imagined the moisture evaporating and this lifted me from this dead state. It sounds weird but it worked. If you have any motivation to try then I hope it works for you.

Cheers, WK
    edited October 2010
    Is Robert Miller's explanations in the sutras? I'm curious how it takes a person from the west to understand someone from the east. Fascinating. I'll read it. In fact, I'm starting right now, reading some of his stuff on the web.

I haven't read any other stuff from Robert Miller, but his book is very good. The book is based more on the meaning of emptiness rather than any sutras as such. I think Roberts Buddhist background is Zen, but to be honest, I can't really remember. I read the book because my teacher publishing house published the book. This book is good but Mind as Ease by Traleg Kyabgon is better.

Sorry, my tradition doesn't focus on the jhana's at all, the focus is on emptiness and boddhicitta. The jhana's happen as they will, we don't have any correlation between them and progress. You know that seems quite interesting in this context, but another story for another day. As to your notion of emptiness, that's not correct. Emptiness is already there, we just don't know it, it is not anything artificial or newly created. Basically, if you loose muscle tone then something else artificial is happening, emptiness should not result in loss of bodily control. Try keeping the absorption lighter, find a coherent meditation practise and don't make it up as you go along.
    No craving, nor aversion. Ok. :)
    :)
    Cheers, WK
  • edited October 2010
    Very interesting thread!

Viewport, from reading your posts, I get the impression that you are trying too hard and you have certain expectations about how things should be.

Maybe try relaxing and living your life and not trying to force things would be helpful.
  • edited October 2010
    hi viewport,

look for a teacher and try to follow him properly... by 'properly', i mean listen and follow his instructions carefully, not just interpret everything thru your ego... it is important to drop that 'i know' attitude... sometimes, we react to everything said and suggested by our teacher with 'i know' attitude whether verbalised or not... it is quite deep sub-consciously, and deep down, we think we know better... that is a form of pride and very detrimental to the path...

you want to experience the buddha's teachings? your wanting to is itself a barrier... only a skilled teacher with realisations can truly guide you, provided you work with him with an open mind, devotion and drop that pride or 'i-know' attitude...

many things we don't even 'know' conceptually... we just 'memorised' it... even conceptual 'knowing' is not that easy... not to say experiential knowing... there are many layers of insights, don't imagine we know... when we say we know, that is already a sign that we don't. people with insight always learn for life and never limit themselves to a 'i know'

hope what i'm saying helps...
    edited October 2010
    I second Bodhiactivity, find a teacher. It is said in Buddhism that when the student is ready the teacher will come. But that's not as completely straightforward as it seems (typical of Buddhism). Firstly, you need an honest aspiration to find a teacher, that's one pre-condition. Secondly, you need to make endeavour to find a teacher with discipline and energy. Thirdly you need to try to act ethically (and regret unethical behaviour, note regret (positive) not guilt(negative)). Fourthly engender humility. With all these things in place and continuing with your practise then you should have a very good chance of finding a teacher. Literally "the student will be ready" then "the teacher will come". Even if a teacher doesn't appear, all these aspects will support your meditation, and your meditation will support these other aspects (mutual co-dependence) and lead you in the right direction.

Cheers, WK