Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Strange experience

nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
edited October 2010 in Meditation
Just wanted to share something and wondered if others have had similar experiences.
2 nights ago I had just begun my final meditation for the day.I was noting the rising and falling of the abdomin when to my mind came a vision?As the vision arose I noted it and went back to noting the rising and falling,but the vision persisted.
So basically this is what I saw.
I saw myself entering a graveyard,looking for a quiet place to sit and meditate.I found a tree to sit under to give myself some shelter from the heat and sat down.As I sat I looked out over the graveyard.
At this time I began to see where the deceased had gone to after they died.
Again I tried to come back to rising and falling but with no success.
I saw so much pain and suffering,I observed pretas in the most terrible torment,saw people in the hell realms(I do not recall seeing people in the higher realms).
Again and again I tried coming back to the rising and falling of the abdomin,and again and again I had no success.
For the first time I found myself crying during a meditation session.
The entire thing played out over about 1/12 hours and then just faded away.
Has anyone else here had this type of thing happen to them?
My Sayadaw says that it could be locked in memories of movies that I have seen years ago coming to the surface.
Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• edited October 2010
    It's the sort of mental phenomenon that occurs sometimes. Personally I have not experienced it, but some people do. Every teacher I have hear/read address this topic says to not get caught up in it and don't try to read much, if anything, into it.

It's what [sometimes] happens when one starts 'playing around' with their mind.
  • edited October 2010
    i would use it as a good symbol to motivate practice... whether or not the vision has any reality to it, it still corresponds to a real reality of constant birth and death, and suffering , and there are so many people out there who truly correspond to this kind of vision. in humanity, so much of life is one big trip to to the grave, punctuated by so many nightmares and hellholes along the way... so essentially this could be a good spur to practice and help end suffering throughout the whole world.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I agree not to get caught up in it is right.It was just such a trippy experience.
    I must admit that after it subsided I found myself sending a lot of metta out in all directions.Thanks for your replies.
    With metta.
    N
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It sounds like your mind is developing some power. I hope that your meditation bears great fruit. :)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »

I must admit that after it subsided I found myself sending a lot of metta out in all directions.
    this is very good
    but
    see, whether you have still caught up with 'that experience' when you are reading this post

see whether you can just bring your 'yoniso manasikara' of 'sankaran udayan vayan' during reading this post

if not

tell your mind that 'that experience happened and gone'
    now is a new moment
    'I' do not want to get caught up with 'old experience'