Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

crazy preacher dude

edited October 2010 in Meditation
I saw on the telly this morning some bapbist preacher said yoga was evil and Christians shouldn't be doing it....?????? Is this guy a nutso? He was kinda old, kinda chubby, and he had grey hair. Didn't get his name. Jeeze what a nut job. Ya I guess we should pray for him to recieve his own personal enlightenment. Not that itsa going to work.....but I guess we should lol :D

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Some Christians believe that if you're not 'for God' then you must be against him.

Yoga is not just a system of exercise. Deep and comprehensive yoga involves meditation and personal physical, mental and spiritual discipline. Therefore it may be allied to (but not exclusively tied to) a religious or spiritual practice.
    I see where he might be coming from. But I do disagree with him.

Much stated by some Christians, such as this gentleman, is stated from a point of resistance, ignorance, suspicion and fear.

That's fine.
    Providing you're ok with what you do, let him be.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I would avoid watching televangelists for the sake of your blood pressure and ability to maintain "right speech" and "right thought" :lol:
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited October 2010
    budhabee wrote: »
    I saw on the telly this morning some bapbist preacher said yoga was evil and Christians shouldn't be doing it....?????? Is this guy a nutso? He was kinda old, kinda chubby, and he had grey hair. Didn't get his name. Jeeze what a nut job. Ya I guess we should pray for him to recieve his own personal enlightenment. Not that itsa going to work.....but I guess we should lol :D

He's not the only one. The orthodox priests in my country, or the fanatical orthodox laypeople find yoga as satanic. More than that, I read on a site how Buddhism is a satanist religion, that encourages satanism through it's self-salvation doctrine.
    Even more intriguing is that the vast majority of people in my country accept this bullshit that is preached everyday, because, as they say, "The great Holy Father < insert greek name here> said that from his own experience which was revealed by Jesus Christ...".
    And yes, let's pray for them, that somehow, a supernatural and divine force *cough*Flying Spaghetti Monster *cough* would make those kind of guys open a good book to see how wrong they are.:D
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited October 2010
    federica wrote: »
    1.Some Christians believe that if you're not 'for God' then you must be against him.

2.Much stated by some Christians, such as this gentleman, is stated from a point of resistance, ignorance, suspicion and fear.

1. That's the basic rule of a totalitarian regime.
    2. Indeed it is.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Most Christian priests, pastors and popes are ignorant of the teachings of Jesus without worrying about anyone else's teachings.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The same issue come up here in Malaysia a while ago,yoga was being taught in many places and it was thought to be anti Islamic.There was a call for it to stop being taught to muslims.While not 100% sure I think the final outcome was that as long as the chanting was not involved and it was stripped down to a form of exercise it would be OK for muslims to continue practicing yoga.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited October 2010
    "Based on the above scriptural passages and some of the experiences of missionaries, we can conclude that many people open their lives up to demon involvement through the embracing of some sin or through cultic involvement (either knowingly or unknowingly). Examples may include immorality, drug/alcohol abuse that alters one’s state of consciousness, rebellion, bitterness, and transcendental meditation."

Check, Check, Check, Check, Check..

AHHH!

lmao
  • edited October 2010
    ahee hee hee nanahaja...u silly. hee hee