Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Itching

edited November 2010 in Meditation
What do you guys do when you get an itch during meditation? I feel like it screws me all up like i'll be getting pretty absorbed in my meditation then i'll feel an itch or something. What I usually try to do is mindfully itch it, like acknowledge that I have a feeling that needs attending to then take care of it. I don't think I should ignore it, since I don't see why it would be different then thoughts. But sometimes I wonder whether itching it is smart or not. What do you guys do?

Comments

• nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Hi.When I get an itch during my practice I will observe the nature of the arising and ceasing of the itch.Observe whether the itching sensation gets stronger or lesser.As it is a sensation of the body I observe it this way.If the itching ceases as a result of my observing its nature of arising and ceasing then great,if not then I mindfully note my intention to scrath and mindfully scratch it.Noting the movement of my arms,fingers etc as I scratch,then come back to the main object of my meditation.
  • edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    Hi.When I get an itch during my practice I will observe the nature of the arising and ceasing of the itch.Observe whether the itching sensation gets stronger or lesser.As it is a sensation of the body I observe it this way.If the itching ceases as a result of my observing its nature of arising and ceasing then great,if not then I mindfully note my intention to scrath and mindfully scratch it.Noting the movement of my arms,fingers etc as I scratch,then come back to the main object of my meditation.

I like this way. I find myself scratching it a little too quickly at times, so I like the idea of observing it for a little bit to see if it goes away on it's own before scratching.
    edited October 2010
    It is the same thing as when thoughts arise.We(I) don't suppress the thoughts.We note that there is thinking.To scratch without first observing could be viewed as suppression and in meditation we tend not to suppress things.Just observe the nature of the arising and ceasing.Where I am we have several mosques near us.Often during my practice the load speakers crank up and the call to prayer starts.So I observe hearing.Eventually even that ceases.There is just so much that we can observe that helps to strengthen our practice.
    Keep up the good practice.
    With metta
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Good advice, nanadhaja.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I agree, Nanadhaja. When I was first starting out in Buddhism I belonged to a small Zen group run by a Japanese priest (from some other sort of Japanese Buddhism, I forget which). The place where we meditated was an old building on the north side of Chicago, and you could clearly hear traffic sounds and such. It eventually became part of my meditation. As it says in the teachings, "all sounds are the mantra's sound." That's kind of the way it was. The sounds were neither "good" nor "bad", they were just sounds, part of the web of life that we also are a part of. I wasn't separate from them. Once that happened, I was never bothered by external sounds or itches or anything. So I'd just recommend sitting with the itch. Become its friend!

Palzang
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, itching is really interesting! I look at it as kind of a game. I'll get an itch, or some really strong urge to re-adjust a part of my body, and if I don't give in right away it just gets stronger and stronger and then! Finally it goes away. And then right away a new one pops up! "Oh, there you are again, come to try a new part of my body this time?" I smile at it. I won't lie--it's extremely unpleasant and difficult to sit with! I usually give in after some time, hahaha. But I have this feeling that once I learn to live with it for longer and longer...well, it's like all the little lies our mind tells us. "Better do this, better do that or something really bad will happen!" We can begin to see through them. Not all that important. Sometimes I feel like I'm Buddha, sitting under the Bodhi tree, and Mara is trying to get me to move! Sometimes it's a struggle, but most of the time I remember that part of the letting go is letting go of the part of me that struggles. "I can accept this itch, and I can accept that I want to scratch the itch, and I can accept that it is very difficult for me not to scratch the itch..." All these different subtle levels that come into play. Good luck! :)
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010
    As above, but I also try to observe the aversion to the itch and if there is enough mindfulness then shift the focus to try to find the observer of the itch. Sometimes if I resist the itch and it increases in intensity it is really easy to detect the aversion and use that as a focus. Sometimes I try to find what an itch is, after all what is an itch? I remember reading somewhere that the art of meditation is the art of seeing what's there, so if an itch is there, then it too is meditation.

Cheers, WK
  • edited October 2010
    for vipassana meditation would you simply observe it until it went away? hoping it actually does go away lol
  • edited October 2010
    i think i wait a little bit, try not to react, but then if it persists for a little bit or gets worse, then i just decide to scratch it so i can keep focusing on whatever I'm doing.

A few weeks ago I got food poisoning in mexico city. I got the worst itching of my life. If I scratched the itch, it got WAY worse. I can't describe the intensity of this itching. It was causing strange spasms. I had to sleep with the itching. VERY DIFFICULT. I scratched sometimes even knowing how much worse it would get. An interesting experience for me. It was like a test.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    But sometimes I wonder whether itching it is smart or not. What do you guys do?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can totally relate to this post in a major way. I have skin issues and I've always had itches all over my body, so sitting still in meditation always proves to be a challenge to me.

Most of the time, when I get an itch, I do my best to not scratch, but there are times when it's just too strong and it won't go away, and that's when I try to "mindfully" scratch and return to my position.

I have to say tho, this thread has reminded me once again about the funny way some english speaking people confuse the meaning of the word itch with "scratch". (see quoted text).

An itch is what makes you scratch! You can't "itch" an itch! You scratch an itch so it goes away. LoL.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney, the point isn't for the itch to go away. The reason we focus on the breathing is because it's always there and it's connected to our body and emotions... so it's a good frame of reference. You may as well use pain and itching as a frame of reference. When I move my attention to the itch I observe how it feels and get to know it... eventually it doesn't feel like it's something I need to scratch, but just a sensation. At that point I find it hard to keep my attention on it, so I go back to the breath. The itch may stay or go away, it doesn't matter... it's not a distraction unless you make it one. I never scratch... I no longer feel the need to. Remember, nobody has died from an itch.
    edited October 2010
    ShiftPlusOne.Are you sure that no one has died from an itch.
    I once heard the one about the one armed man,hanging over a cliff with an itchy bum.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    :wtf:

Meditating.
    I itch.
    I notice it.
    I scratch it.
    Itch goes away.
    job done.
    Back to meditating.

Jeesh.... what's the big deal....?? :scratch:
    edited October 2010
    federica, when I used to do that I'd find that scratching one itch results in two more itches popping up. It was impossible to meditate that way. To each his/her own though... whatever works.

nanadhaja, that's exactly why it's recommended that we meditate on the floor.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    You can get tablets for that, you know.

My vet told me.

;)

:D
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited October 2010
    federica wrote: »
    You can get tablets for that, you know.

My vet told me.

;)

:D

LOL, good one. Made me laugh.

We're not dogs with fleas tho! We are just humans who's bodies decide to itch at the worst possible time, but I do agree that in MY case, my itching is mainly caused by my skin issues, don't know about the rest of ppl here.

It seems that the more still you are, the more itches and twitches and pulses and all kinds of things you end up feeling. At least I do. And sometimes it IS true that if you scratch ONE itch, then you also will be compelled to scratch the many others that pop up in it's place.

That's why I give my itching a "degree" and only scratch when the degree of the itching is very high and not going away.
    edited October 2010

nanadhaja, that's exactly why it's recommended that we meditate on the floor.
    Good point.See, my understanding grows each day.Gotta love this forum:lol:
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    There's that no-nonsense, cut-right-to-the-heart-of-the-matter Fede I love :)

Meditating.
    I itch.
    I notice it.
    I scratch it.
    Itch goes away.
    job done.
    Back to meditating.

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    federica, when I used to do that I'd find that scratching one itch results in two more itches popping up.

Physiologically, that's not true. Psychologically, it may be, but not physiologically...

:)
    edited October 2010
    'course, but they feel the same either way. Itches haven't really been scientifically explained for some reason.
  • edited October 2010
    My first class last week i was holding back an enormous fart, which in any other circumstance i would of just let rip.Got the next class tomorrow night so will lay off the curry tonight.Waiting for my first itch...
    edited October 2010
    Barber wrote: »
    My first class last week i was holding back an enormous fart, which in any other circumstance i would of just let rip.Got the next class tomorrow night so will lay off the curry tonight.Waiting for my first itch...

Now that's a meditation session I would like to see. I can almost imagine Buddha letting one rip :) I'm sure he scratched all the time.

Cheers, WK
    edited October 2010
    Whoknows wrote: »
    Now that's a meditation session I would like to see. I can almost imagine Buddha letting one rip :) I'm sure he scratched all the time.

Cheers, WK
    I was on a course once when someone let rip.You could hear the first suppressed sniggers begin and slowly go round the hall.The teacher finally suggested that we all laugh and get it out of our systems cos it was going to happen anyway.Then we went back to noble silence.:lol:
  • edited October 2010
    An itch is one of the best things that can happen during meditation! It's an opportunity to observe how it passes, just like everything else. I used to be totally distracted and then upset. Now, if thoughts comes up like "Oh no! An itch. This is one of the reason's I can never have a good meditation..." I quickly say, "But it's a great opportunity to practice!"
  • edited October 2010
    Truker wrote: »
    An itch is one of the best things that can happen during meditation! It's an opportunity to observe how it passes, just like everything else. I used to be totally distracted and then upset. Now, if thoughts comes up like "Oh no! An itch. This is one of the reason's I can never have a good meditation..." I quickly say, "But it's a great opportunity to practice!"

This is true. This is what i've been doing the last couple times I meditated and it's great.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2010
    when an itch arises, I observe the itch, notice how and possibly why it itches. Then I will slowly and very carefully move my arm to scratch the itch. As I do so I pay very close attention to the sensations associated with the itch, the scratch, and then the relief. scratching an itch can be as much meditation as just sitting. Just pay attention!
  • edited October 2010
    What to do when you get a itch during meditation? Dosen't this depend on the type of meditation you're doing.

Say, if it's insight (vipassana) meditation, you take the itch as the new object of focus and observe its arising, its enduring, and its cessation. In this type of meditation, nothing is regarded as a distraction.

But, if you're doing, say, shamatha or breath meditation, you're engaged in single-pointed concentration on the breath. Anything else is a distraction - you simply note it without engaging in it and come back to the breath. In this case, it would be appropriate to do what federica said, viz:
    Meditating.
    I itch.
    I notice it.
    I scratch it.
    Itch goes away.
    job done.
    Back to meditating.

Just a thought... :)
    edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    I was on a course once when someone let rip.You could hear the first suppressed sniggers begin and slowly go round the hall.The teacher finally suggested that we all laugh and get it out of our systems cos it was going to happen anyway.Then we went back to noble silence.:lol:

Thanks for the laugh :)

Cheers, WK
  • edited October 2010

Meditating.
    I itch.
    I notice it.
    I scratch it.
    Itch goes away.
    job done.
    Back to meditating.

You are defeating the purpose of meditation.
    Unless it reaches your maximum tolerance level, you should not scratch.
    You are supposed to observe the sensation and realize three very important facts:

- your body is full of sufferings at all time
    - you have no control over them while they happen
    - none of these are permanent

Imagine you are forced to dip your hand inside the boiling water.
    You can't do anything except observing it.
    At such time, if you cannot observe with wisdom, you will feel tremendous pain.

I am just giving you an advice. Please don't take it wrong.
  • edited October 2010
    I've been observing itches without scratching and I feel like it's been quite beneficial. I am truly seeing firsthand the impermanence of all things. The itch goes away! All these feelings I get go away. And if I just am in the moment, whether or whether not the itch or anything else is there, it's not uncomfortable or a bad thing because it just is, and there is no bad.
  • edited November 2010

Meditating.
    I itch.
    I notice it.
    I scratch it.
    Itch goes away.
    job done.
    Back to meditating.

I agree to a certain extent. However, sometimes, I notice that if I take my mind off of it, it will go away. Sometimes it seems that if I take time to scratch, more itches will come up. Almost as if giving in to the itch causes more to arrive.
  • edited November 2010
    I agree to a certain extent. However, sometimes, I notice that if I take my mind off of it, it will go away. Sometimes it seems that if I take time to scratch, more itches will come up. Almost as if giving in to the itch causes more to arrive.

I don't think taking your mind off of it is the right way either. Take note of the feeling. Vipassana meditation is all about awareness. Be aware of the feeling. I find that when I note the feeling it actually goes away before long, helping me understand impermanence
  • edited November 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I don't think taking your mind off of it is the right way either. Take note of the feeling. Vipassana meditation is all about awareness. Be aware of the feeling. I find that when I note the feeling it actually goes away before long, helping me understand impermanence

Didn't I take note of the feeling when I realized that I was itching?
  • edited November 2010
    Didn't I take note of the feeling when I realized that I was itching?

Yes, but then you asserted your will over it. An important lesson is to see things as they are. You have an itch. That's just the way it is. It is neither good nor bad. Watch it. It will almost definitely go away in time. Then another one will probably arise, and then go away. What a perfect opportunity to observe impermanence!