Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

dorm room?

zpwestonzpweston Explorer
edited October 2010 in Meditation
I am currently in college and have just come to Buddhism and the middle path. I am having a hard time setting aside a time to meditate mostly because I only have my dorm that I can really think of as my space. The problem is people are in and out of here all day, and it is difficult to really concentrate on mindfulness with the noise. Any suggesting would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Initially it is good to have a place that is quiet and free of any distractions to meditate. Over time the noises and distractions are good as they make it harder to direct awareness to a single point so it just makes the faculty of awareness stronger.

It's like lifting weights. Initially we need a light weight, but over time to keep progressing we need more weight to resist our efforts.

For now go to a common area that is under utilized or walk out into an inconvenient area nobody else wants to expend energy getting to.
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, colleges are full of big empty rooms! Take a walk around campus, find the spots that no one goes to, and have a nice sit. Especially if you go in the evening when there are fewer classes, you can probably find an empty classroom. :)
  • zpwestonzpweston Explorer
    edited October 2010
    These are all really good ideas that I didn't even think of. Thank you guys so much any other thoughts are great.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Great opportunity to learn to meditate with distractions.
  • edited October 2010
    Try meditating for a few minutes right before going to sleep, too.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Your college probably has a chapel. I find them to be good places to sit in.
  • edited October 2010
    Go to bed really early and get up between 4:30 to 5:30. Have a little wash and maybe some fruit juice or tea to get your metabolism going and you could probably sit anywhere. Watch the sun rise.

:)
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Your college probably has a chapel. I find them to be good places to sit in.
    Excellent suggestion.

Also, don't forget about the library. You'd surely find a quiet spot to do seated meditation.
  • zpwestonzpweston Explorer
    edited October 2010
    I want to thank all of you for such great advice, it is really appreciated and gives me some great ideas that I didn't even imagine. Thank you again may you all well, happy, and peaceful.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I find that very often it's the chapel that's the quietest, and usually most deserted place in any public area where there is a chapel. The chapel in the hospitals I work at are almost always deserted, and are perfect places to meditate. Even if I can only steal five minutes, I try to do it when I can. Chapels are usually tucked in out of the way corners too, so they tend to be quiet.
  • edited October 2010
    I've been having the same problem too this semester. Thanks to all those who posted in the thread for provided such helpful ideas.

There's a lobby on the first floor of my building. All dormitories on my campus has at least one. If yours does try to find the time when it's empty. Early morning hours like 4-6 are probably best but it can be a bummer to get up that early especially if you have classes scheduled on that day.

Here's what I find works best: networking! Most likely there are other sitters (at least a handful) to be found somewhere on campus. Start a facebook group and make it open for all university students. See who signs up and try to establish a time and location for sitting sessions. Perhaps another students room is more conducive for sitting.

I hope this is helpful.