Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation gone wrong ?

edited October 2010 in Meditation
Well ive been meditating for a while say around 3-4 months but its been a bit of an on and off thing .

So i sleep in the same room as my grandma and then the other day at nighttime i was sleepwalking and followed her to the toilet and tapped her on the shoulder then went back to bed and i did not know any of this , she told me this the next day and told me to stop meditation because i can lose my mind as some ghost or spirits can go into my unconscious mind without me even knowing ? This is wierd anybody care to explain ? Should i stop meditation or what ?

Comments

• nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    XKarmaX wrote: »
    Well ive been meditating for a while say around 3-4 months but its been a bit of an on and off thing .

So i sleep in the same room as my grandma and then the other day at nighttime i was sleepwalking and followed her to the toilet and tapped her on the shoulder then went back to bed and i did not know any of this , she told me this the next day and told me to stop meditation because i can lose my mind as some ghost or spirits can go into my unconscious mind without me even knowing ? This is wierd anybody care to explain ? Should i stop meditation or what ?
    The idea of ghosts or spirits entering your mind due to meditation sounds like a christian concept.I wonder if you have ever been sleep walking before?I have no medical background and so will not try to make any form of diagnosis.Perhaps this is something you might like to mention to your doctor.There may something in your lifestyle that has caused this that you may need to be aware of.I have met people who do not usually sleep walk,who may suddenly do this one night and then not have it happen again.
    Also if you are able to find a good meditation teacher who can guide your practice and answer your questions this would be a good idea.
  • edited October 2010
    yes i did sleep walk when i was little but has stopped since , no i cannot find any teachers unfortunately in my area which is why i rely on the internet for my meditation.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Well at least you can tell your grandma that when you were little you used to sleep walk and you were not meditating then.Maybe this will stop her worrying about ghosts entering your mind.This might not happen again so I would not worry too much,however if you and your gran are worried about this then I would still recommend talking to your doctor.
    Maybe we have some people on this forum who do sleep walk sometimes and when they come online they may have more to say than I can.
    With metta:)
  • edited October 2010
    XKarmaX wrote: »

How have you been meditating? Open your eyes when you meditate, must have awareness and clarity... not just heaviness and sleep-like state in your meditation...

Find a teacher, read up more on Buddhist teachings first... don't just jump into meditation straight away.. YOu can start with chanting practice first, for eg. chanting OM MANI PADMAY HUNG

:)
  • edited October 2010
    I meditate while pumping iron at the gym, surrounded by clinging iron and bumping machines whiles the radio is flaming it's decibels through everyones ear while marching heavily on a threadmill that is meant to control the pace of my legs while locked in trance after being awake for 3 days in all the lightness and ease of bliss of every mediattive trances you can think of while being surrounded by distracting beauties and people talking and mumbling while having a TV in front of me peddling greed, sports and unneccesary advertisements.

Do not listen to these fools, meditation and buddishism is governed, determined, created and molded by the individual in question - which is you. The references to the buddhist scriptures are only as such; references. Buddha would tell you himself - be you, not them. Make up your own worldview and own universe and get off these forums.

You're meditative trances are your own, in your own environment, eyes open or closed, in a stressful or blissful environment.

Let go of beleif. Intend to be blissful and be blissful. Do not question or be doubtful, BE BLISSFUL.

Let go of analytical thinking, stop questioning your own methods or the methods of others - just close your eyes and imagine your entire cousious mind and uncousious mind to be like a still pond of crystal clear water that can't be tainted and manipulated in any way and it shall be as such.

There is alot to clear in your mind before you fix this sleep walking issue.

Some behaviors are programmed into your cousious and subconsious mind.

I have undone some of these types of behaviors of myself in the past. It was an association. Associations drive societies. We use association for memory remembering/forgetting. Sometimes we can fall into loops where the two minds hang on and build up the association. Some of these can be reffered to as repressed memories.

I don't know the buddhist term for this meditation - the one I used to clear this kind of behavior up is by meditating as close as possible to sleep. When I do this, I get flashes/visions that bring up these associations. While meditating in this mode though, I must plant the intention in my subcousious mind to bring it out of my mind. The more of this I did, the better and deeper my relaxation meditations became. These associations are like bricks holding your mind in place. Once you tell the labourer to move the brick outta there, though, the mind can become very VERY strong and efficient.

Don't care for boasting, don't need confidence and don't even need awareness.

Don't need anything and everything will come to you.

I can lock myself in trance in any situation and snap myself out of it as easily.

I can plant intentions in my subciousious mind and see changes in my immidiate environments almost immidiately.

Forums about buddhism are the biggest crocks of shit that every exsisted.

Buddhism is meant to create individuals. Making buddhism groups are not buddhism groups. They are cults.

Also, spirits, ghosts, voices entering the mind is not abnormal. It is easy to plant ideas or thoughts in the mind of others. It's called influence. Media will make you beleive that these influences are unnatural or, somehow, make you ill or freakish.

Your awareness is increasing if you are hearing these. This is simply a stepping stone. Now, (for me), when I got to this point, I began to study influence and neutrality. Neutrality means becoming indifferent to these influences. The path of study I chose is intuitive and as such I cannot give you the steps or methods I used, only that, you should follow your own intuition and create your own study methods and paths to reach this neutrality.

Take it easy, there will be transitions, your body and mind need to be paced by your own will power and do not reach exhaustion in your methods it is only wasted energy and effort.

Buddha thought himself how to be himself.

Buddha is not a person nor is he god, he is the idividual. Buddha is a representation of an individual, a god, a person that can't be influenced outside of his own worldview or "universe". Do not see him as a person or deity. See himself in yourself and yourself in himself. An individual is everyone as everyone is an individual. Remain neutral and you will self-actualize. The moment you move outside (such as onto forums) you step outside yourself and reinforce a behavior of "relying upon others".

What am I doing on this forum? My intution told me to come on here and ridicule it, for it is garbage trying to help a person who is seemingly asking for direction.

lol

:buck:
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I've done a driving meditation while commuting an hour on the highway to work (only in America, right?). As long as there's not a lot of traffic (rare, but it happens), it can be amazingly peaceful.
  • edited October 2010
    What is wrong with the general worldview of people is that they beleive they are not meditating.

Everyone has been meditating since their conception.

Beleif is what seperates this fact from you unenlightened folks.

In essence- you are not unenlightened.

You are all extremely enlightened.

Open your eyelids to this fact already.

Be imperical with your thinking and your actions. Do not question or be doubtful- do and know.

There is no when. No how. There is no trying and not even doing.

Unleran how to try and you will do without trying.

Unlearn how to do and you will do without doing.

As always, I challenge everyone in this existence to send their worst feelings, intentions and energies so I can practice even deeper trances while ignoring and voiding all of them without trying.

A real buddhist does not seclude himself physicaly, that's impossible.

Instead he surrounds himself with stress and greed and remains void of it all. Seclusion breeds pussies and those go straight where they belong- at the bottom of the food chain or, rather, and eventually through the intestines of some animal that will have delighted on such garbage.

Locked in trance since birth,

Eric.
  • edited October 2010
    Eric L wrote: »
    What is wrong with the general worldview of people is that they beleive they are not meditating.

Everyone has been meditating since their conception.

Beleif is what seperates this fact from you unenlightened folks.

In essence- you are not unenlightened.

You are all extremely enlightened.

Open your eyelids to this fact already.

Be imperical with your thinking and your actions. Do not question or be doubtful- do and know.

There is no when. No how. There is no trying and not even doing.

Unleran how to try and you will do without trying.

Unlearn how to do and you will do without doing.

As always, I challenge everyone in this existence to send their worst feelings, intentions and energies so I can practice even deeper trances while ignoring and voiding all of them without trying.

A real buddhist does not seclude himself physicaly, that's impossible.

Instead he surrounds himself with stress and greed and remains void of it all. Seclusion breeds pussies and those go straight where they belong- at the bottom of the food chain or, rather, and eventually through the intestines of some animal that will have delighted on such garbage.

Locked in trance since birth,

Eric.

"Those who deny karma, deny emptiness." and also, "ultimate truth relies on conventional truth" Nagarjuna in the Mulamadhyamakakarikas, I don't have my copy here, but it is between chapters XXII and XXIV.
    Don't deny convention from only "high" speech and speculation. It is easy to write and say what you are saying, but real life is not like that. How we experience existence shows that there is a substantial difference between a fully enlightened being and a wanderer, it is truth that under the scope of analysis this shows to be unreal (just as the notion of an I), but then again, if there is no validity to convention, then there is no validity to the noble path.

So, what's my point? This kind of posts imho are misleading.

Dear OP, maybe as you started meditation it had some kind of unwanted consequences in your brain and that's why you are sleep walking again, I'm not saying it is something dangerous to your health! It is that maybe some part is being stimulated... I don't know. Or maybe some changes are happening in your winds structures. IT IS normal to start having some signs when one is starting or getting used to meditation and certain practices, maybe dreams, bodily sensations, etc. Don't freak out and don't try to see more than what really is.
    As the other member said: a teacher is highly recommendable, they can tell you more accurate things than we could.
    But as with anything: Use your common sense filter, if you feel this is not benefiting you and is producing you negative consequences, then suspend it. If that is the case, maybe you are doing something wrong, maybe a position, I don't know, that is interfering with your practices.