Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddho

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited October 2010 in Meditation
Hello.

I've read a couple peices by Ajahn Chah about meditating on the word Buddho. I'm pretty sure one of them said to recite it mentally as you watch the breath at your nostrils.

He also said that the Buddha taught to meditate on Buddho.

Does anyone know what sutta the Buddha does this? and

Is this how Ajahn Chah taught the meditation?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    This spring during a retreat Ajahn Sumedho spoke of "Buddho", saying it is a reminder of "knowing it is like this". In other words saying Buddho is a way of recollecting mindfulness. It is also used as an object of meditation somewhat like the Koan "What is it" or "Who am I".
  • edited October 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Does anyone know what sutta the Buddha does this?

Sometime ago, I searched for a sutta reference with regard to meditation using the "Buddho" mantra. I did not find any... perhaps there isn't such a sutta... maybe the use of this mantra in meditation was started by the Thai Forest tradition. I dunno.... :)
  • edited October 2010
    Buddho is the term used to refer to the "Buddha" figurines found in chinatowns. It came from combining "Buddha" and "Sumo". BUDDHO!!!