Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My first retreat and beginning with a sangha

JerbearJerbear Veteran
edited December 2005 in Sanghas
I went on my first day retreat on Saturday. Lots of sitting, some walking and working meditation and a few breaks. Silence was maintained for the whole day. Only the guiding teacher, a student teacher and I showed up. And I guess we were the only one's supposed to be there. I have to say it was tough and it was fun to boot! I walked out of there feeling like I was starting to get serious about this journey. I've started doing the things that my temple (Muddy Water Zen for you Detroit/Ann Arbor people) to take the precepts in June.

I had dabbled with Buddhism reading stuff here and there, meditating off and on. Then I had a prety bad accident 1 year ago tomorrow that was life changing. I ended up on life support for a month and lots of therapy to get back to work. Around June or July, I found MWZ and was totally bummed by the month off. But September came and I've been quite active there since. I clicked with the teacher immediately. I may not like everything he says but he is a good teacher.

Hope you all are having as much fun with your practice as I am.

Comments

• edited December 2005
    :cool:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I've been thinking about visiting a Pure Land Buddhist temple close to me - but I'm having a hard time chanting something to a Buddha asking for them to take care of all of my troubles.

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I've been thinking about visiting a Pure Land Buddhist temple close to me - but I'm having a hard time chanting something to a Buddha asking for them to take care of all of my troubles.

-bf

That doesn't sound right to me. But then to each their own. I bought a book called "The Buddha in Your Mirror" about Nichiren Buddhism where you chant this phrase over and over and you get everything you want. It didn't really sound like what I had read previously about Buddhism.

And in Pure Land, don't they believe in life after death?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    That doesn't sound right to me. But then to each their own. I bought a book called "The Buddha in Your Mirror" about Nichiren Buddhism where you chant this phrase over and over and you get everything you want. It didn't really sound like what I had read previously about Buddhism.

And in Pure Land, don't they believe in life after death?

Pure Land teaches things like this:
    If a person recites the name of Amitabha Buddha single-mindedly for a period of from one or two up to seven days without allowing anything to confuse the mind, at the end of that person's life Amitabha Buddha and a multitude of holy ones will appear before him. As the person dies, his mind will not be deluded, and he will attain rebirth in Amitabha Buddha's land of ultimate bliss.

A little odd for me too.

-bf