Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Experiences in Meditation

edited October 2010 in Meditation
Lets share our experiences in meditation :lol:
For me I'm still a starter and I don't know much. When I meditate I would usually fall asleep because I'm not alert enough or I'm too tired.
Before meditation I will relax all of my muscles in my body and resolve to be alert. There was a time when I meditate a feeling of bliss and well-being pervaded my whole-being. After meditating it felt like I've just went through some kind of Inner Spa :D

Below is an extract from Dhammakaya Meditation about the progress of Meditation in general. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhammakaya_meditation
"When one visualizes the mental object continuously, the mental object will gradually change in nature in accordance with the increasing subtlety of mind according to the following sequence:
  • Preparatory image [parikamma nimitta]<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-11">[12]</sup>: the meditator perceives a vague, partial or undetailed version of the image they have imagined. Such a mental object indicates that the mind is in a state of preparatory concentration [khanika-samadhi] where it is still only momentarily.
  • Acquired image [uggaha-nimitta]: this is where the meditator is able to perceive the image they have imagined with 100% of the clarity and vividness of the external image it is based on.
  • Counter image [patibhaga-nimitta]: once the mind comes even closer to a standstill, so that it is no longer distracted by external things or thoughts, but is captivated by the image at the centre of the body, the image will change to be one which the meditator can expand or contract at will. The image will change from an image that is coloured to one which is transparent. The acquired image and the counter image, both indicate a state of mind on the threshold of the first absorption (see jhana in Theravada). This threshold state is called ‘neighbourhood concentration’ [upacâra-samâdhi] and indicates that the mind has become unified or one-pointed.
Although the meditator may start out with as many as forty different paths of practice, once the Hindrances are overcome, all methods converge into a single path [ekalyânamagga] of mental progress, which leads into meditation at the Vipassana level.

Did anyone perceive any sphere/ crystal ball while meditating ? If you did you might be one step closer to Insight/enlightenment :)
Please feel free to share your experiences in meditation and we might learn something from your experience ;)

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Every time someone asks in class about experiences during meditation, about bliss, etc ... my teacher always says yes, these things happen. But don't make anything out of them because they are only impermanent distractions.

(Teacher, a monk since age 12 in the Dalai Lama's monastery)
  • edited October 2010
    hi exonesion,

i don't know about Dhammakaya meditation, but u should get a proper teacher... meditation leads to insight, not bliss, clarity, peace whatsoever... if you don't get right understanding of what Buddhism meditation is for, u end up wasting a lot of time, may be years... please read up carefully on what is Buddhism and what is meditation for... Buddhanet has many free online ebooks...
    www.buddhanet.net

can also read up more on www.lamayeshe.com

suggest that you read about Buddhism thoroughly, not just bits and pieces here and there about what you enjoy eg meditation... you need the whole picture before you meditate, there are just so many sidetracks...

gd luck
  • edited October 2010
    hi exonesion,

i don't know about Dhammakaya meditation, but u should get a proper teacher... meditation leads to insight, not bliss, clarity, peace whatsoever... if you don't get right understanding of what Buddhism meditation is for, u end up wasting a lot of time, may be years... please read up carefully on what is Buddhism and what is meditation for... Buddhanet has many free online ebooks...
    www.buddhanet.net

can also read up more on www.lamayeshe.com

suggest that you read about Buddhism thoroughly, not just bits and pieces here and there about what you enjoy eg meditation... you need the whole picture before you meditate, there are just so many sidetracks...

gd luck

Thanks bodhiactivity that is a lot of information about Buddhism there :)
    My teacher once told me that before Vipassana(insight) is possible Samatha(calm) must be present, established and mastered.
    Meditation leads to Samatha and then Insight.

I've found a quote from an E-book which says the same although I could be wrong since I don't have any experience in meditation.
    Purpose of Meditation

Meditation on these subjects is designed so as to winnow the mind from all distractions and attachments (amongst which it is incessantly scattered and diffused from second to second) and by focusing the attention upon a specific subject to attain to tranquility.

And not only tranquillity but to mental equipoise (samatha) and that one-pointed (ekaggatā) potential of concentrated-absorption called jhāna.
    It is obvious that it is impossible for the mind to attain any degree of coherence or insight when it is
    perpetually effervescent and confused.

Once again thank you for your comments and suggestions. I'll look into them and improve myself :D.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi exonesion,

You might find these Buddhist meditation videos helpful. This is the short introduction ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

With kind wishes,

Dazzle

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2010
    My recent experiences are summarized in these two posts.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The neighbors dog started barking, then a train horn went off, then it started raining.
  • edited October 2010
    meditation leads to insight, not bliss, clarity, peace whatsoever...k

I disagree that insight is the only purpose of meditation. It can also lead to bliss, clarity, and peace. vipassana means insight, and it is not the only type of meditation.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    The neighbors dog started barking, then a train horn went off, then it started raining.

A train horn, in Ft. Lauderdale? Rain? In Florida? It never rained when I lived down there, and for sure there were no trains! ;)
  • edited October 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »

Never could stand that dog...
  • edited October 2010
    hi TheJourney,

I don't think so. If we are talking about the same thing, the Buddhist path... the ultimate goal is always liberation, and insight leads to the wisdom that liberates. If one gets stuck on bliss, peace etc. then one doesn't progress... those experiences can surface during meditation, but cling to them and they become a source of suffering, not freedom. Cos even the experiences of bliss can't be maintained all the time while still on the path. What we need is to be liberated, a realisation that is always there whether in times of bliss or suffering.
  • edited October 2010
    I agree that you shouldn't cling to the feeling. I was merely pointing out that it was one of the effects of meditation. But if you're simply referring to clinging then we shouldn't cling to the insight we achieve either really.
  • edited October 2010
    hi TheJourney,

If we really have insight, we can't cling even if we want to.

Anyway, since you are in agreement, and it's just a interpretation issue, then we basically talkin about the same thing
  • edited October 2010
    hi TheJourney,

Cos even the experiences of bliss can't be maintained all the time while still on the path. .
    Hi Bodhiactivity. :)
    In my opinion, bliss and peacefulness is a byproduct from non-attachment, relaxation in meditation. There is no need to even maintain the experiences of bliss, they come naturally as our minds are at peace. As our minds comes to a standstill, knowledge and insight will arise facilitating our search for enlightenment.
    In conclusion, my point is that without bliss and peacefulness of the mind, the mind will be agitated and will never come to a standstill. When mind is confused and not established with a stable foundation in place, proper insight will not begin and hence liberation would not occur. :):):)
  • edited October 2010
    dear exonesion,

for more info, look at this website
    http://www.shamarpa.org/index.php?id=53
  • edited October 2010
    In summary, it can be stated that practicing calm abiding meditation is the cause for achieving equanimity and peace. In a state of calmness the mind is capable of a clear focus in which it is aware of its profound nature as joyous well being, clarity and emptiness, without imposing the mistaken concept of truly substantial, inherent existence on mind itself. With continuous practice the potential for these capacities to increase is limitless, and finally, one enters a state of illumination. It is like a caterpillar emerging from the cocoon as a butterfly. The consciousness of a person at this level of awareness is totally detached from any worldly concerns or selfish interests, and he/she is solely concerned with the further development of meditative concentration, although of course it is still necessary to eat in order to maintain the body. However, as great as such meditation states may be, they do not transcend samsaric existence, and do not bring about ultimate liberation. They are not comparable to a Buddha's enlightenment.

Dear Bodhiactivity,
    Thanks for the link it is greatly appreciated :)

What the author said is true that bliss and clarity doesn't lead to the attainment of deathlessness or enlightenment. He was saying that Samatha doesn't lead to enlightenment, only Vipassana(insight).
    Even the author in this E-book agrees that that is true.
    Some quotes regarding this matter:
    We observe, therefore, that although Samatha is an essential factor it is insufficient insofar as analytic perception and permanent emancipation are concerned. Once the mind has become concentrated through Samatha, however, the path is clear for Vipassanā
    Whereas the function of Samatha is to tranquillise, the function of Vipassanā is to disperse ignorance (avijjā) and to penetrate. Samatha and Vipassanā, although they may be practised in isolation, do not prosper without each other's support. For Samatha in no way disperses ignorance, nor is there Vipassanā without first tranquillity of body and mind. When combined and developed they result in the attainment of knowledge (vijjā) and render the defilements (āsavas) extinct.

I recommend this E-book which discusses about in-depth meditation. :)

Good day to you Bodhiactivity :)