Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Watcher

edited October 2010 in Meditation
Whenever I meditate there seems to be a part of me that seems to remark on everything that is happening.

He, or she, or it is almost like a narrator. It gets so annoying sometimes.

What is this part of my mind?

Trungpa called it the "watcher". Sometimes the watcher serves as playmate, somtimes as devil's advocate, somtimes as fundamental depression.

He said it's natural... IS IT??

He also said that at some point the watcher is the only thing left. So we use it as a vehicle for further development. How is this accomplished??

Is this part of two-fold bodhichitta? What is two-fold bodhichitta?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    In my personal experience I've seen that this internal dialog is more connected with the more intellectual aspect of consciousness that is stimulated too much when one is having certain problems and is analyzing them, when one is nervous, or have just studied too much philosophy.
    The first advise that I'd give you, is just to leave it be. When you are relaxing and the internal dialog starts, just don't get involved with it, let it be... don't think: "Uuu the dialog is still there! I should get rid of it... don't think of it, don't think of it" that will just tighten more your consciousness and it will continue arising, maybe even with more force and false skepticism dialog!
    If it is too much, then I'd do gently Tsa Lung with my eye looking slightly down, then do some brief Shamata, and then continue on with my main practice.
    If it is still to much, then try practicing chanting the 7 line prayers with visualization. So, first I'd focus on visualization, and when I get tired I'd focus on the singing and then back to the visualization; then dissolve Guru Rinpoche in your heart and relax.
    If it is still to much, then I'd take a hot shower chanting some mantras.

At least this is what I do when I have your problem, it is pretty normal for me :P
  • edited October 2010
    dr own the watcher in. zen