Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My first time

edited October 2010 in Meditation
Last night I went to a meditation group which lasted an hour. I had lots of discomfort in my neck and back. Since other people left before the hour was up, I left after 45 mins. My question is, what should I do about the discomfort the next time? Should I try to work through it, should I get up and stretch? Suggestions?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Last night I went to a meditation group which lasted an hour. I had lots of discomfort in my neck and back. Since other people left before the hour was up, I left after 45 mins. My question is, what should I do about the discomfort the next time? Should I try to work through it, should I get up and stretch? Suggestions?

What position where you sat in ?
    I always find it is very helpful to do a preliminary relaxation of the Body Imagination exercise, To do some disconnecting with various aches and pains so you can get to concentration. :)
  • zpwestonzpweston Explorer
    edited October 2010
    There are a few things you can check. Check your posture, are you tense when you first sit. Sit straight, but don't tense your back up. Let you arms and shoulder hang with your hands on your legs. Have your head aligned with your spin make it like a board, you don't want a warped board so keep your back completely straight without tightening the muscles. Also check your cushion that it is positioned right. You will feel some discomfort, but you also should not try to convince yourself it doesn't exist. Acknowledge it as pain but don't let it control your thoughts. These are some things that I have found. I hope they help a little. It is also important to try to stay still as much as possible, maybe an hour is too long for your first meditation. Try twenty minutes at a time. Take what you learned at the group and use it in your own meditation.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think you did well to sit for 45 minutes on your first attempt.
    Discomfort is not unusual as we are starting to use muscles in a way that we are not used to.
    You can observe the pain as a meditation tool,seeing how it arises and(hopefully)ceases.If the pain does not go away try to mindfully change your posture.Another thing to be aware of is not to sit too rigidly.With time this will come naturally.
    Good luck with your practice.
    With metta
  • edited October 2010
    You can observe the pain as a meditation tool,seeing how it arises and(hopefully)ceases.
    This is something I do. It helps not only ease the discomfort but also with mindfulness.
  • edited October 2010
    Try to do series of short sessions of meditation until your body gets used to it. For example: 10 minutes sitting in Siddhasana ("perfect posture") or Half-Lotus, or just any cross legged position that you can do while having your back straight, that's the most important part; after that 2-3 minutes of stretching-rest-walking; then 10 more minutes, then 2-3 minutes of stretching-rest-walking; then 10 more minutes. There you have 30 minutes.
    Imho, it is best to have 10 full concentrated meditation time, than 45 tight and not relaxed time.
    I hope it helps.