Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Falun Gong

edited October 2010 in Faith & Religion
What do you think of this high profile sect?

I think it's a highly politically motivated cult.
I say cult because the founder claim himself to be even superior to Buddha.

Jet Li once commented that he read their teaching. Good! It talks about compassion and love. But in reality they act aggressive. Different from what they taught.

What's your opinion on it?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    blue-moon-large.jpg
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I guess I don't know enough about them to have an educated opinion.
    My only exposure to this group came from meeting three Falun Gong
    folk while in Hawaii. Those people sure didn't strike me as cult members.

We meditated together on a few mornings down on the beach, and they
    seemed quite Buddhist-like. :)
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    blue-moon-large.jpg

These random, off topic responses make me laugh every time. Nice picture though.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    These random, off topic responses make me laugh every time. Nice picture though.

Sure :)
    Its as meaningless to this topic as asking the opinion of people on a forum what they think of a group, One can see pictures of the moon and develop opinions, But it doesnt compare to going and walking on the moon itself.
    Listen to the gossip of others at your own peril :o
  • edited October 2010
    mantra0 wrote: »
    What do you think of this high profile sect?

I think it's a highly politically motivated cult.
    I say cult because the founder claim himself to be even superior to Buddha.

Jet Li once commented that he read their teaching. Good! It talks about compassion and love. But in reality they act aggressive. Different from what they taught.

What's your opinion on it?

All falsehood. :cool:
  • edited October 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Its as meaningless to this topic as asking the opinion of people on a forum what they think of a group, One can see pictures of the moon and develop opinions, But it doesnt compare to going and walking on the moon itself.

In my opinion
    opinion is important.

Imagine if you go to amazon.com to buy stuff and no comment or review is allowed. You can't make sound decision whether to buy it or not.
    If the product is 600,000 USD, would you buy it to try for first hand to judge for yourself, or would you ask someone's opinion before making decision?

I have a scenario for you to ponder:

Let's say you have cancer. You get proper treatment but you want to learn some QiGong to aid your treatment. There are many Qigong out there. Some Qigong is specially for cancer and many people benefited from them.
    2 of the qigong (example) are Guolin and Zhineng qigong.

With you life (or at least your vital part of your health) is at risk. Won't you want to get peoples opinion before choosing which type of qigong to learn and focus on?

Just a thought.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    From http://www.religioustolerance.org/falungong1.htm

All emphasis mine.

<!--mstheme-->
    "...the Falun, or Dharma Wheel, and is described by Mr. Li as a miniature of the cosmos that he says he installs telekinetically in the abdomens of all his followers, where it rotates in alternating directions, throwing off bad karma and gathering qi. Many Falun Gong adherents say they can feel the wheel turning in their bellies."
    "A person with qigong training can walk through solid objects, like a wall."
    "Individuals with some qigong training can exhibit super-human abilities: clairaudience, telepathy, precognition, etc. But it takes a qigong master to achieve certain functionality, like alchemy -- the ability to transform one type of substance to another. The latter could tear down a large building using mental power only. They would never do this in practice, because it is forbidden for them to demonstrate their powers. Also, such destruction would cause harm."

"There are many living entities on earth that appear to be humans, but in fact are aliens"
  • edited October 2010
    From http://www.religioustolerance.org/falungong1.htm

All emphasis mine.

<!--mstheme-->

Thanks for sharing...

Wow. I'm stunned about the Racism thing... paradise for yellow, black, white people? People who knows evolution knows that we come from proto-humans and from there branch out to many races.
    Imagine this racist idea goes into the head of a Facist with strong military power. Wait... I think this happened before. The Aryan superior race?

I think authentic Buddhism makes more sense. It says all sentient beings are equal and have Buddha nature.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Qigong is just meditation of deep breathing techniques with a few benefits that has to do with getting more oxygen to the body, and calming your nervous system. There are no real special powers like telekinesis, flying, or kamehameha. If you could do that stuff I would of figured it out by now and would of been showing off on Opera.
  • edited January 2012
    During Buddha era, he had alot of students and has the ability to assemble them for mass conflict. He never has this thought in mind mustering his students to protest against but transforming his students to the ultimate loving kindness beings ever found on earth even if their life is "crucified" haaaaa :D
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I think it's interesting. I been reading Falun Gong book and it's quite interesting. I would recommend doing some research.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    caz namyaw;138140 said:
    In my opinion
    opinion is important.

Imagine if you go to amazon.com to buy stuff and no comment or review is allowed. You can't make sound decision whether to buy it or not.
    If the product is 600,000 USD, would you buy it to try for first hand to judge for yourself, or would you ask someone's opinion before making decision?

I have a scenario for you to ponder:

Let's say you have cancer. You get proper treatment but you want to learn some QiGong to aid your treatment. There are many Qigong out there. Some Qigong is specially for cancer and many people benefited from them.
    2 of the qigong (example) are Guolin and Zhineng qigong.

With you life (or at least your vital part of your health) is at risk. Won't you want to get peoples opinion before choosing which type of qigong to learn and focus on?

Just a thought.
    I think the question is -- what facts are you basing your opinion on?

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    During Buddha era, he had alot of students and has the ability to assemble them for mass conflict. He never has this thought in mind mustering his students to protest against but transforming his students to the ultimate loving kindness beings ever found on earth even if their life is "crucified" haaaaa :D
    Not funny.

• edited February 2012