Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

slowing the breath

edited October 2010 in Meditation
supposedly during your meditation your breath count is supposed to get down to like 1 breath a minute. I don't get anywhere near that. Maybe 6 breaths a minute, but any less than that seems impossible. It's kinda discouraging :(

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Why does your breathing rate matter?

You are meant to be observing your breath, not controlling it from my understanding, if your breathing rate naturally drops to 6 breaths per minute then thats what you observe.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    supposedly during your meditation your breath count is supposed to get down to like 1 breath a minute. I don't get anywhere near that. Maybe 6 breaths a minute, but any less than that seems impossible. It's kinda discouraging :(
    I have never tried this breath counting.
    In the tradition I follow we observe the breath but we do not try to control it.Perhaps some one could explain this technique to me.No big words please,some of you people obviously didn't drop out as early as me.:lol:
    With metta
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Dont count the breath just focus on the sensation of it moving In and out through your nostrils...actively counting the breath will disturb the mind, Stilling the mind requires control of the monkey mind, Counting I find just tends to make things worse as your having to think about what number your own and it is distracting you from the actual breath.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    I have never tried this breath counting.
    Bhikkhu, as I understand it, the counting itself is of no importance. It's merely
    a way of helping someone keep their mind focused on the breath itself; a way to
    try to exclude thoughts from taking over.

So as far as I know, you (and others) are correct in that it's the focusing on the breath
    which is central to the meditation.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Bhikkhu, as I understand it, the counting itself is of no importance. It's merely
    a way of helping someone keep their mind focused on the breath itself; a way to
    try to exclude thoughts from taking over.

So as far as I know, you (and others) are correct in that it's the focusing on the breath
    which is central to the meditation.
    Thankyou BD:)
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I have never heard of people trying to get to a point where they breath once every minute in meditation :s We are not sloths lol..

I started meditating with counting the breath, 1 in, 1 out, 2 in 2 out up to 5. then back to 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10. This is so say a good technique for beginners so they can focus the mind. With time, I have slowly done this technique less and less or maybe start with it and then move on to simply focusing without the action of counting.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited October 2010
    thats in relationship with "calming bodily fabrication", being in-out breaths bodily fabrication.
    If u want to slow down your breath u just have to focus on one little spot, like the nose tip, and watch the sensations of that tiny area....but dont know if thats a correct way to practice mindfulness of breathing.
  • edited October 2010
    I almost stop breathing during meditation so it would be pointless to focus on something that doesn't exist.

I tend to focus on the back of my eyeballs... hope that's not the wrong thing to do. :confused:
  • edited October 2010
    Yea I haven't really been counting my breath recently. I just mean it seems to be about that much, my breath doesn't slow down nearly as much as i've read that it's supposed to. I guess it doesn't matter. It's just sometimes it makes me wonder whether i'm doing something wrong. I guess there's no right and wrong, though.