Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Getting started (how??)

edited October 2010 in Meditation
Hi, my name is Tom. About Me:

I am 19 and have been depressed all my life. There is not a day I can remember when I did not have severe anxiety. I sometimes have panic attacks and always feel confused, dizzy, out of control. It has gotten so bad that I rarely leave my house. I have agoraphobia. Whenever I feel the nervousness, my heart starts to pound, then race. My whole body shakes with my heartbeat. You can see it shaking my shirt. My throat swells up, gets tight, I have difficulty breathing. Sometimes I shake uncontrollably. These days it feels like I see everything through a haze, like I am not 100% there. I feel light headed and fear that I will just fade out and die at any moment. The other day I went to the bookstore and had immense difficulty communicating with anyone. My face gets beet red and I sweat, and then my heart beats so vigorously that I have trouble talking. This same recurring event reminds me why I have no friends, why I have never had a girlfriend, why I have missed out on so much of life, even scared to go out and do the things that I am interested in.

But I KNOW all of this is the result of anxiety. It is all in my mind. I had my heart checked out and did medical tests, but I am ok. They say I am healthy. Of course my mind is not healthy. It is plagued by irrationality and negativity and polluted with spirals and clouds of bad thoughts. Right now I am at the point where I am going to change my life around. I need to. Nobody can live like this. Not only is it immensely painful but it is embarrassing. I can't go to collage or get a job or meet new people like this! I can't really communicate with people because I spend all of my energy combatting my own mind, trying to survive and get over anxiety. There is no energy left for interaction.

However, I know how I am going to get better. I spend 95% of my time reading and researching anxiety and the mind, spirituality and, recently, the teachings of Buddha. I have decided that the first thing I need to do, the first step in the right direction, is starting Meditation. The only problem is I have no idea how to do that, how to start meditating. There is nobody I can ask who could help guide me in the right direction, so I have come here. This forum looks like a compassionate place with people who know Buddhism from practicing themselves, first hand experience. So I hope some can give me advice on how to start meditating, how you started meditating, and specifically what it is that you do.

Tom

Comments