Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help! What negative experiences have people had while meditation?

edited November 2010 in Meditation
Two days ago I had an awful meditation session. I felt dizzy, as if I couldn't catch my breath and nauseous. I haven't meditate since though I'm telling myself it's because I've been very busy, going out early and coming home exhauted late.

I know that I can expect to encounter negatives while meditating, but it would help me if people could talk about some they've experinced.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I'll share an experience that hopefully will help you out. :)

A couple of weeks ago I had an absolutely awful meditation session (and the negativity went on beyond the formal sitting). Some really intense negative feelings were coming up and what made it worse was the feeling that I was doing something 'wrong'. As if I was heading in the wrong direction.

BUT

I kept in mind the teaching on forbearance/patience, and resolved to keep mindful of what was arising. At the time I felt like I was the worst practitioner in the world, that everything I thought the practice had ever given me was an illusion and I was going the wrong way about everything. I was stupid and I was foolish. That's okay, I thought. Just observe that mind.

Then when the negative feelings had subsided (as they inevitably do), I was able to observe my mind in a more centred state. I could find no lasting 'damage' to my mind. Things were calm and clear once more. All of this was down to being able to keep a practice of patience even when I felt anything but patient, and a practice of mindfulness even though I felt anything but mindful.

Mindfulness is the key. Mindfulness is the transformative perspective. If you can stay mindful, suffering and negativity can become your greatest teachers. Don't run away from negativity when it arises, simply watch it. You won't feel centred and you certainly won't feel very enlightened. Yet if you can watch the mind in these situations, you can learn a very great deal about yourself.

And don't let it put you off your meditation practice. Thoughts come, thoughts go. Why don't you go and see how your mind is today? :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'll share an experience that hopefully will help you out. :)

A couple of weeks ago I had an absolutely awful meditation session (and the negativity went on beyond the formal sitting). Some really intense negative feelings were coming up and what made it worse was the feeling that I was doing something 'wrong'. As if I was heading in the wrong direction.

BUT

I kept in mind the teaching on forbearance/patience, and resolved to keep mindful of what was arising. At the time I felt like I was the worst practitioner in the world, that everything I thought the practice had ever given me was an illusion and I was going the wrong way about everything. I was stupid and I was foolish. That's okay, I thought. Just observe that mind.

Then when the negative feelings had subsided (as they inevitably do), I was able to observe my mind in a more centred state. I could find no lasting 'damage' to my mind. Things were calm and clear once more. All of this was down to being able to keep a practice of patience even when I felt anything but patient, and a practice of mindfulness even though I felt anything but mindful.

Mindfulness is the key. Mindfulness is the transformative perspective. If you can stay mindful, suffering and negativity can become your greatest teachers. Don't run away from negativity when it arises, simply watch it. You won't feel centred and you certainly won't feel very enlightened. Yet if you can watch the mind in these situations, you can learn a very great deal about yourself.

And don't let it put you off your meditation practice. Thoughts come, thoughts go. Why don't you go and see how your mind is today? :)

Had the same thing happen last night.
    Thank you for providing your experience!
    This was very helpful!
  • edited November 2010
    :)

_/|\_
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The negative experiences while meditating are the best part!

Learn to rest in those experiences, and you're one third of the way there.