Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

jhana?

edited November 2010 in Meditation
I've been reading up a liittle bit on the jhanas, and i'm not sure if i've experienced it. I've been attempting to, focusing on a pleasent sesnsation after obtaining access concentration, and I had a somewhat interesting experience tonight. I was focusing on this spot in my stomach that felt kinda nice. It mostly increased over time, sometimes it would decrease for a little bit. Anyways, after a while the spot that felt good kind of expanded. Like, it didn't feel like different spots were necessarily getting the good feeling but rather that the good feeling was spreading. My whole body had this very strange feeling I really haven't had before, and it was nice. This just happened, and i'm left feeling extremely happy and my body feels incredibly light.

If it was a jhana, it was perhaps less intense than I expected, but still nice nonetheless. Also, does the jhana continue after finishing meditation? Cuz as I said I just feel really happy and light.

Comments

• JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    You probably know that I know that I might not know what the fuck I'm talking about.

The things I'd been describing in that other thread were induced by me first quieting my mind for however long it took. Then once it was really quiet and pretty relaxed I'd find something to massacre my concentration with. Perhaps an imaginary spot in the center of my vision, or where my third eye is said to be, I'd sometimes observe my eye movements knowing that if they moved or even crossed slightly I was thinking subconsciously, and I'd need to stop both that and the mere acknowledgment itself. At first the concentration is often demanding, like a strobe light, then it fades into a barely discernible existence. I just exist. Once that happens I ride it out struggling not to think about it while still massacring my concentration like before but at this point it's not a massacre, it seems like I don't exist, I just fall into it slowly like it's intuition. If I have bouts where I manage to seriously stop thinking for moments at a time this instant feeling of infinitude will hit me. The first 10 times or so this happens you may get overexcited, if you over-acknowledge it you'll ruin it and sadly, for me at least, once ruined it is next to impossible to come back during that session. If you ride it out and sink deeper into not thinking sometimes for me I experience a rapid spinning sensation or sometimes an orgasmic feeling. That's typically as far as I can get.

Websites usually say to focus on the feeling at that point, I try not to too much because in my experience, like I said, over-acknowledging it will ruin it, as the very nature of it was forgetting your mundane responses and thoughts. Beyond this point I will rest very happy and grinning, very deep in meditation that easily lasts for an hour and a half. I can't go further. And that might not be a jhana again.
  • edited November 2010
    Yea, I really don't have much problem quieting my mind anymore. Usually when I first start meditating, focusing on the breath, i'll get a few random thoughts here and there that I am able to discard without too much difficulty. Once I get a little further in these thoughts basically stop, as my concentration deepens and my breath becomes more fine. Once my breath is about as fine as it can get, this is when I focus on the physical sensation. Then what I described in OP happened this last time.

I know what you mean about "just being" though. You get so focused during meditation. It's wonderful how you can be doing nothing and yet be doing something at the same time. I don't even notice the time going by, as i'm so into what i'm "doing" that i'll just open my eyes at some point(though I could go a lot longer. I haven't been plagued by boredom or restlessness). The session described in OP was 50 minutes, but as I said could have gone longer. I'm also very new to this whole thing. My first time meditating was maybe a month ago or so, maybe a little longer. When I start things though, I go all in. I study buddhism a ton and have been trying to meditate daily.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Nice. Same here, I've been meditating for 2 or so months and studying things shit tons. Or at least I saved most of what Wiki has on my HDD and a bunch of other shit, and the godsend of Access to Insight offline.

I hope you get help because it's going to help me too.

I forgot to say another thing that I meditate on is concentrating on the "present", it sounds lame but works pretty well. If you're in the present there's not much to mentally gossip about.

And I don't know about you but when I say I could do 1.5 hours that's not typical. Usually 15-30 minutes is average.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    As far as I know the direction to go to reach Jhana is to lighten up on your thinking... You need to see through attachments and so forth so don't take your thinking so seriously. As the late trungpa rinpoche said "be a child of illusion"... In other words its all not such a big deal. Relax. Be here now. Don't chase your tail over jhana!
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    easy for you to say :P
  • edited November 2010
    Do not chase after Jhana, the more you chase the further it gets away from you. Just relax and do what you always do in meditation. Let it be;)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I hadn't been able to experience those feelings for 5 days or so, but I've barely been meditating lately, so this post inspired me to have a good meditation last night. Twice I experienced that jhanic feeling. The first time I imagined multiple imaginary points, 6 or so, and attempted to concentrate on them all at the same time. I realised also that all these concentration excercises I keep talking about only function in the context that you've properly quieted your mind. I'm not advanced enough to know how to induce this properness skillfully and purposefully each time. I do know that first I spend awhile quieting my mind, typically at least 10 minutes but sometimes much more and then when I feel almost trance like will I begin to really focus my concentration on one of these many excercises I invent. An obstacle for me has been the fact that despite the depth of quietness and stillness my mind has achieved I apparently can't discern between the correct stillness and an incorrect one. Sometimes when I feel it's time to begin focusing I only run further from jhana, other times I begin plunging deeper and inching closer to jhana. You described focusing on the pleasure, it's only at this point that I will. The second time I did it yesterday was new, I was unusually motivated (the typical existential crisis) and I simply stopped everything. I was. Slowly I achieved jhana.

It may also be worth mentioning that the sort of concentration these exercises achieve eventually becomes intuitive and I never typically continue to think about the nature of the exercises themselves throughout the duration of the meditation, it's precisely for the beginning to sharpen my intuition of this particular extreme concentration.

I'll stop spamming your thread ;)
    I'm finding this useful to crystallise my own ideas and experiences.
  • edited November 2010
    Just to clarify, at what point do you focus on pleasure as it differs from me?
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I focus on pleasure when my entire body begins to feel like an orgasm. It comes to me and tells me when it's time.

To clarify on my last post, last night when I said I had a new experience that wasn't concentration based like usual, what had happened was suddenly I had this perception that all my thoughts were like a rapid succession of spontaneous fabrications so to speak. Like a strobe light of thoughts struggling to project themselves. It's the first time it'd ever happened and it came to me, I wasn't thinking on any obvious level. Since I'd read about such things I had this sudden moment of Buddhist conviction and bam! jhana.
  • edited November 2010
    I don't think what I experienced was jhana, just cuz it wasn't as intense as I would think jhana would be. However, when meditating today I had a couple interesting experiences. I had a couple of flashes of something like what I imagine jhana would be like. Just this overwhelming feeling took over me that felt great. Like I said, this was intense. However, it happened twice during the meditation session and literally for about a second each time. Could this have anything to do with jhana? Can you get a glimpse at jhana and then lose it?
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I wish other people would reply to this thread who have attained certain jhana, I read that it's not all that distinguished for serious practitioners.

All I can add is that if the feeling was an overwhelming body orgasm-like feeling of absolute bliss like a swelling of euphoric energy then that's what I'm describing. And what I'm describing will easily over-excite you to the point of losing even access concentration and leave you lying restless in preliminary concentration. For me, when access concentration draws itself to the final point immediately before merging with the object of concentration the so-called feeling of bliss comes to you, there is never a point you say to yourself, "yes, it must be time to focus on the good physical feelings" for you will certainly know when, and from there it's all very intuitive the only struggle is resting in it without having lost the initial one-pointedness from excitement of obviously achieving jhana.

good luck to you.
    may somebody will more experience help us both!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Floating in bliss, peaceful with such intensity and totality that there is no thought of "other" activity having any comparison (ever). If the concentration is solid, one can go for hours or longer in this perfect stillness and lose sense of time entirely; it's as if there is no time, only the feeling that suffuses everything and is everything.

Floating.

Dangerous. :)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Ooh, that made me shiver ;)

There's a Cheyenne name you might like: Vaiveahtoish -- He who alights on the cloud. That randomly came to mind reading your response.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I'd never remember how to spell that, lol. If that was a pleasant-thought shiver, consider this before too long:

I used to spend maybe 10-15 minutes first calming the mind to the best of my ability, and then would find a pleasant sensation and keep my awareness on that sensation while the mind slowly magnified that feeling to the exclusion of everything else, eventually changing the entire mental paradigm from what was still relatively normal to something completely outside of normal experience and more powerful than drugs. Then comes the point where effort is no longer needed, concentration is full and complete without trying (able to completely let go and experience without effort), and there... there I'd float. Sometimes for several hours, not a care in the world, unable to possibly imagine a more pleasurable activity (just... impossible).

I don't do that any more. :) As great as it sounds, to become attached is no better than to get yourself addicted to heroin. It'll feel great every time you do it, but that's where you'll have to go to find your peace; you won't find the lasting peace that comes with a transformation of the mind by repeatedly losing yourself, blissing-out, in a state of meditative absorption. When real-life comes a-knockin' with something difficult you'd want to be able to handle well, that proper effort in cultivating wholesome states and practicing insight-meditation may have given benefit, all that time spent in jhana will reveal itself as practically useless!

I know I know, still doesn't sound all that bad. If you think about it for a while though, ya might change your mind. I do recommend cultivating these states for what they do have to offer, which is further clarity of how the mind works, but steer clear of attachment or jhana-abuse!
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Sure sure, but isn't jhana one of the two ways to enlightenment?

What is the other?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Mmm jhana plays its part in revealing the nature of mind, but generally speaking such states become easier as one is progressing through the "stages" of enlightenment espoused by the Buddha. Sooo, it's not as if everything is done at once; some of the pieces have to become more clear before other avenues open. It's possible to forcefully work a certain area, but more natural to the mind to get a foundation in all factors of the Noble Eightfold Path first and allow deepening understanding of each factor (study & meditation) to reveal aspects of the others in harmonious progression. Regardless of one's cultivation of jhana, until the mind has developed the other insights that it needs, jhana will not lead to liberation. The path is represented as eight, but truly the pull of each is to focus the mind toward something it can not see; which is why the truest and most direct route to enlightenment is just this Noble Eightfold Path. (Go Buddha!)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Mmm jhana plays its part in revealing the nature of mind, but generally speaking such states become easier as one is progressing through the "stages" of enlightenment espoused by the Buddha. Sooo, it's not as if everything is done at once; some of the pieces have to become more clear before other avenues open. It's possible to forcefully work a certain area, but more natural to the mind to get a foundation in all factors of the Noble Eightfold Path first and allow deepening understanding of each factor (study & meditation) to reveal aspects of the others in harmonious progression. Regardless of one's cultivation of jhana, until the mind has developed the other insights that it needs, jhana will not lead to liberation. The path is represented as eight, but truly the pull of each is to focus the mind toward something it can not see; which is why the truest and most direct route to enlightenment is just this Noble Eightfold Path. (Go Buddha!)

fuck.

are you saying if i become like jesus. if i become a saint, i'll be enlightened. that's all it is? no profound meditation, just seeing the mirage for a mirage.
    *sigh*
    that's hard.
    mediation is easier than being a saint.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    No no, I'm saying the opposite. It's hard work to undo all the wrong thoughts that have led us to this point. Insight-meditation is a must (it falls under the path factor Right Concentration). This type of meditation, Vipassana, is where a great many profound insights into the nature of mind and matter will be revealed; all depending on you, of course.

I was actually pointing out how there's a clear path where everything comes together. Dunno how you took that wrong. :)
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    that's what i mean.
    to me there's nothing so inherently difficult about insight meditation because i enjoy philosophy and psychology so much. in fact, i'm typically always in some state of insightful inquiries because i'm so introverted by nature.

jhana doesn't require intellect. that's hard for me.
    i'm also an asshole.
    thus, i see insight meditation as easier than jhana meditation, i see ridding an asshole like myself of all mental defilements as supremely difficult hence
    fuck
    and
    that's hard.
    Another high and low of mine is my obsessive drive. Maybe I'll break stream entry one day.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited November 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I don't think what I experienced was jhana, just cuz it wasn't as intense as I would think jhana would be. However, when meditating today I had a couple interesting experiences. I had a couple of flashes of something like what I imagine jhana would be like. Just this overwhelming feeling took over me that felt great. Like I said, this was intense. However, it happened twice during the meditation session and literally for about a second each time. Could this have anything to do with jhana? Can you get a glimpse at jhana and then lose it?
    There are grades of Jhana, soft and hard Jhana, more intense, less intense, etc, and you can go into it for a bit then out of it for a bit. But I don't know about flashes of it for just a second.