Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Control

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Today
There is much said about controlling one's mind/thoughts/emotions but what is it that we are supposed to control?

i don't drink, not for any spiritual or health reasons but becuase i don't like losing control - but is there ever a point at which this desire to keep control becomes... well, a desire, another attachment.

To quote a couple of films:

is control just an illusion?

is it only after we lose everything that we are free to do anything?

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Well, I don't claim to know everything, or anything of much importance for that matter - so take what I say with a grain of salt...

I know people that used to smoke and drink. They don't anymore - in fact, they're really healthy. Run everyday to keep in shape, do marathons, watch what they eat, watch what other people eat, make comments about people's poor physical appearance - in a way that makes it sound like they're concerned for this other persons well-being - but to me, it just sounds odd. Especially when just a couple of years ago, this person was in the same exact state.

So, is all this working out and watching what you eat something wonderful? Not if it becomes something by which you judge other people - or have some OCD mentality that is driving you from one obsession or abuse to the next.

I drink. I had a couple of drinks last night. Saw some friends had a few laughs and some good conversation. That was it. Wasn't drunk. Didn't even have a buzz. Which is fine with me. I had a tasty dinner before hand - because I don't like feeling ill. I don't like hangovers. Right or wrong, I did it. Came home, had a nice evening, went to bed and slept like a baby.

I know people that don't drink anymore and they wear it like a badge of honor. "I don't drink!" or "I don't smoke!" Why is this so different from anything else in the minutes of your day to day life? Does this define you as a person that you no longer drink or smoke? Does it make you feel superior to those that do?

I would say that "that" is a form of attachment. Why is it not as important to you to say "I had a bowl of Cheerios today for breakfast! Whaddya think about THAT!?!?!"

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Having a controlling nature is different to being in control of ones' self....
    I learnt that, 'Whenever a person manifests a "controlling" personality (dominating, angry, stubborn, objectionable - extreme behaviours) it means there is an aspect within themselves that they are unable to control, or do not recognise as needing control.'
    edited October 2005
    federica wrote:
    I learnt that, 'Whenever a person manifests a "controlling" personality (dominating, angry, stubborn, objectionable - extreme behaviours) it means there is an aspect within themselves that they are unable to control, or do not recognise as needing control.'

How long ago did you finally learn that? How's that been working for ya? :)

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    You may jest, but.... about ten years ago, and I recognise it when it 'rears its ugly head'... I'm far more able to "let go" than I used to be....!
    edited October 2005
    You're doing better than me!

I still don't think I learned that lesson.

In fact, I didn't know it was in the lesson book :)

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Question: "There is much said about controlling one's mind/thoughts/emotions but what is it that we are supposed to control?"

twobitbob,

At the beginning we are controlling our kamma.

We are trying to control our wholesome and unwholesome actions of body, speech, and mind which condition our lives. Those same actions carry out into the world as well, how we act towards people, our choices in what's right and wrong, whether we help or harm others, etc.

In Buddhist thougt, every volitional action due to our defilements conditions further existence in samsara. This is our dukkha, our suffering, unhappiness, unsatisfactoriness, etc. The Buddha taught us to first control our actions by making them skillful instead of unskillful, wholesome instead of unwholesome. Then we are given ways to cease the production of new kamma, freeing us from further conditions and eradicating dukkha from our lives forever. We eventually realize the 'Unconditioned', no more fetters, attachments, or mental afflictions of any sort...

At the end, there is nothing left to control.

Jason
    edited October 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    You're doing better than me!

I still don't think I learned that lesson.

In fact, I didn't know it was in the lesson book :)

-bf

I've had training.... it was pointed out to me, I didn't come up with this myself...... but over time, I have seen it demonstrated, and I have found it to be true....
    The way I recognised it in myself, was to witness it first in other people. Not in a judgemental, critical way, but as pure observation, just to notice the truth of it. And the more Controlling a person is, the bigger the mess they're unable to sort out inside.
    It's weird, but quite educational..... ;)
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    I can't stand control freaks. Was married to one...ugh.

Reminds me of a lyric from a Canadian rock band called The Odds:

"I never met a manipulator who wasn't paranoid / They see in themselves what in others they should avoid"
    edited November 2005
    ....Je rest mon case....!! ;)
  • edited November 2005
    twobitbob wrote:
    There is much said about controlling one's mind/thoughts/emotions but what is it that we are supposed to control?

i don't drink, not for any spiritual or health reasons but becuase i don't like losing control - but is there ever a point at which this desire to keep control becomes... well, a desire, another attachment.

To quote a couple of films:

is control just an illusion?

is it only after we lose everything that we are free to do anything?

Control is an illusion and practice is not about control.
  • edited November 2005
    My perception is that our attempt to control just brings about more suffering. Steve Hagen wrote “The awakened see that the big question in life is not "What do I do to arrange the world to my satisfaction?" but "How do I learn to attend to what's going on?" He goes on to talk about our true interest being in awakening rather than a desire to get something, control something, or please ourselves in some egoistic way. Does this mean that it’s wrong to have a plan or attempt to control aspects of our life? No, but we must not forget to be awake to the here and now. Since all things constantly change, our attachment to being in control can become a hindrance.
    Mike
    edited November 2005
    I think we also need to draw the comparison between 'Outward Control' and Inward Control'.... and in order to Practise, we must at one point initially practise "Self" Control....

The word covers a multitude of Sins - !

We need to turn our attention away from the kind of control that seeks to empower the transitory illusionary aspects, and turn it instead into practising to Master our understanding and acceptance of that which we seek.
    As Mike says, it's all the inner stuff we need to engage with - that's Good. All the Outer stuff we should just release....

Does the distinction we're trying to convey make sense, twobitbob....? :)
  • edited November 2005
    There is no distinction between inner and outer in Buddhism. It really isn't about contoling the inner but letting go of trying to control the outer, but seeing how in reality, inner and outer are a whole, that there is no boundary, no 'thing' in here seperate from what's out there, and that the idea of control is just that. Mike put it very well.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    It's not about controlling anything. When you practice meditation, you're not trying to control your mind. Have you ever tried not to think about anything? Easy, ain't it? NOT!!! Meditation is about allowing your mind the space to become pacified, calm. It's not something you sit down and try to do. If you do that, it'll never happen.

Palzang
    edited November 2005
    ....Is that a hair I see splitting.....? :hiding:
    edited November 2005
    Just as a storm throws down a weak tree, so does Mara overpower the man who lives for the pursuit of pleasures, who is uncontrolled in his senses, immoderate in eating, indolent, and dissipated.

Just as a storm cannot prevail against a rocky mountain, so Mara can never overpower the man who lives meditating on the impurities, who is controlled in his senses, moderate in eating, and filled with faith and earnest effort.

- Yamakavagga: Dhp I.7-8

Irrigators regulate the rivers; fletchers straighten the arrow shaft; carpenters shape the wood; the wise control themselves.

- Panditavagga: Dhp VI.80

Let a man guard himself against irritability in bodily action; let him be controlled in deed. Abandoning bodily misconduct, let him practice good conduct in deed.

Let a man guard himself against irritability in speech; let him be controlled in speech. Abandoning verbal misconduct, let him practice good conduct in speech.

Let a man guard himself against irritability in thought; let him be controlled in mind. Abandoning mental misconduct, let him practice good conduct in thought.

The wise are controlled in bodily action, controlled in speech and controlled in thought. They are truly well-controlled.

- Kodhavagga: Dhp XVII.232-34

Let a man be watchful of speech, well controlled in mind, and not commit evil in bodily action. Let him purify these three courses of action, and win the path made known by the Great Sage.

- Maggavagga: Dhp XX.281

Good is restraint over the eye; good is restraint over the ear; good is restraint over the nose; good is restraint over the tongue.

Good is restraint in the body; good is restraint in speech; good is restraint in thought. Restraint everywhere is good. The monk restrained in every way is freed from all suffering.

He who has control over his hands, feet and tongue; who is fully controlled, delights in inward development, is absorbed in meditation, keeps to himself and is contented — him do people call a monk.

That monk who has control over his tongue, is moderate in speech, unassuming and who explains the Teaching in both letter and spirit — whatever he says is pleasing.

- Bhikkhuvagga: Dhp XXV.360-63

:)

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Your quotations suggest, Elohim, that control should be practised.
  • edited November 2005

I learnt this many years ago in my Sales development, however it is as relevant to everyday life and the learning of any new Skill, being in control is vital!!.........

The Stages of Skill Development

In Bringing Peace into the Room: How the Personal Qualities of the Mediator Impact the Process of Conflict Resolution (D. Bowling & D. Hoffman eds. 2003), Peter Adler, a well-known mediator, describes the four stages of skill development: (1) unconscious incompetence, (2) conscious incompetence, (3) conscious competence, and (4) unconscious competence.

He illustrates these stages by following the efforts of a person who is learning to surf. The first day, after much effort, the new surfer may be half-standing, half-stooping on the board fighting each swell of the water. The surfer is “dumb and happy” and perhaps a little sunburned. He is ignorant of the deeper skill level required to become a master surfer. He has found the unconscious incompetence stage of skill development. If he sticks with the task, he will quickly move to the consciously incompetent stage. At this stage, he is now aware of the skills he lacks, but resolved to learn more. He knows what he doesn’t know. He will eventually move, with practice, to the consciously competent stage of skill development. At the third stage of the cycle, the surfer can skillfully catch a wave, knows a lot about the equipment, and has a good time each day on the beach. But he returns home exhausted by his efforts. He then crosses an invisible frontier in which surfing gets easier. He takes on a bigger wave at exactly the right moment on a beach he knows as well as his the curves of his face. He comes off the wave energized and exhilarated, not exhausted. He has found the fourth level of competency – unconscious competency.

The Learning Cycle Begins Anew

But here’s the good and the bad news. No sooner has he reached the fourth level of competence, he throws himself back to the beginning of the cycle.
    He decides to learn to surf the giant waves of Hawaii. His first day on the beach leaves him battered. The waves win that day. But because he is now consciously incompetent, he will find the mentors he needs to teach him the mastery of these powerful waves.

Mediators cover this same skill development cycle. The first stage comes after a person completes what I call the “baby” mediation training program -- often a 16-hour program that offers the person the very basic techniques of interest-based bargaining, the structure of the classical mediation, some ethics, and some experience in simulated mediations. The new “qualified” mediator rushes home to tell his or her spouse all about this eye-opening experience that was also such fun. The mediator then moves to conscious incompetency the first time he or she mediates a case. The basic training did not cover the topics that now seem to control the dynamics of the conflict – the parties’ psychological and emotional needs. The mediator can work all the techniques he learned in the training program, but he still feels utterly lost and out of control – and he is. He must go home to his spouse to explain that he learned today what he did not know. A mediator with this level of self-awareness begins a self-directed process of learning. He may attend a conference, participate in an advanced training workshop, subscribe to an ADR journal, or read books on mediation. She may volunteer at a community mediation center to get more hands-on experience. After many months of dedicated learning, the mediator may move to the next level of competence. Many mediators stay at this stage -- consciously competent -- for years.

edited November 2005
    Simon,

Exactly.

At the end of the Path there is 'nothing' to control, but at the beginning it is definitely something which we should practice. Why? Because of the defilements. They influence every single action of body, speech, and mind (whether we realize it or not). When you practice 'control', or restraint as the Buddha often uses, you are protecting yourself, as well as others. While I agree that it is like an illusion once you acquire the discernment to peel away at the outer layers of experience, I also believe it is unwise to skip over this initial learning stage of self-control. I just felt the need to point that out. The reason is simply that I feel it is unskillful to tell beginners to Buddhism that there is nothing they need to control, when in fact the Buddha does advise we should control our actions so that they produce the least amount of harm.

Whether I am right or wrong in my 'understanding', I simple feel it is good advice.

:)

Jason
    edited November 2005
    I agree entirely, Elohim. It is a 'counsel of perfection' to maintain that all control is illusory, however true that may ultimately appear.

If control or, as you say, 'restraint' were not possible, there would not be lists of behavioural precepts!
  • edited November 2005
    I get your point Jason. The danger however is that people mistake the Buddha's advice about restraint for moralistic pronouncements, in the same way as there are for example the commandments in the Abrahamic faiths. Buddhism is not about repression and reading texts without a good understanding of their context and broader implications, particularly in langauges which lack the depth of implications of some Eastern languages, is sometimes misleading.

In Buddhism the precepts, whilst a vital part of practice, along with meditation and insight, are not commandments. The word 'control' tends to give a wrong impression and is often not the best translation of the original Sanskrit and Pali terms. The precepts are not commandments but guidelines for training, undertaken in order for students to gain experential understanding of what it means to live as a Buddha. This is one reason why the precepts are often given twice in some traditions - first when formally becoming a Buddhist and taking refuge, and then again towards the end of formal training, when they are taken again as koans - pointing to the experience of living as a Buddha.
  • edited November 2005
    Here in lies the rub. Without taking into consideration the Two Truths from the start of our practice, most of us do see commandments instead of guidelines. This can reveal the false concept that controlling equals gaining. When we put into our minds the concept of things we should be doing, we create the opposite notion of what we should not do. This only brings about more conceptualizing, grasping, dividing, delusion, -suffering. If we look deeply and are awake to what is going on in each moment, we can see that there is nothing to control, conceptualize, divide, or hold on to. In absolute truth there is nothing we can take hold of.

“ Who, Subhuti, will grasp this perfect wisdom as here explained?”
    Thereupon the Venerable Ananda said: “Those who cannot fall back will grasp it, or persons who have reached sound views…..”
    “No one,” said Subhuti, “will grasp this perfect wisdom as here explained. For nothing at all has been indicated, lit up, or communicated. So there will be no one who can grasp it.”- from The Perfection of Wisdom in Eight Thousand Lines

This concept is as important in beginning aspects of one’s practice as it is at any conceived time. In my perception the Buddha-Dharma should not be front loaded as a sequential method to becoming or being anything. The method and practice are helpful, but they are not truth. By our own definition control- To exercise authoritative or dominating influence over; direct. To adjust to a requirement; regulate: controlled trading on the stock market; controls the flow of water. To hold in restraint; check: struggled to control my temper. To reduce or prevent the spread of: control insects; controlled the fire by dousing it with water. The Two Truths that the Buddha taught are useful and liberating concepts that help us see with the realization that the idea of control (as well as a myriad of other things) is not required or needed for waking up.
    Mike
    edited November 2005
    Control is not simply a matter of laws nor, even, of rules. It is a matter of decision and choice. It is patent nonsense to suggest that there is no notion of control in Buddhism. But it is control chosen and taken on in order to achieve an end.

I think, also, that a distinction must be drawn between Buddhism and whatever it is that is achieved/realised. It is from the perspective of the latter that control's illusory nature becomes apparent.
  • edited November 2005
    I agree that it is crazy to suggest that there is no notion of control in Buddhism. The type of control that naturally occurs when one is aware can not be confused with the relative definitions of control we place on ourselves and others. Twobitbob asked if the desire to control can become a desire/attachment. In my view it is our desire of anything (control or whatever) that can distract us from being truly awake.
    Mike
    edited November 2005
    The really clever thing is to know - to be aware enough - of that subtle moment when the necessity for 'control' becomes the attachement to control....when we are making R'ight Effort'... and we become attached to the 'Effort', but lose sight of the 'Right'.....

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! :lol::lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I get your point Jason. The danger however is that people mistake the Buddha's advice about restraint for moralistic pronouncements, in the same way as there are for example the commandments in the Abrahamic faiths. Buddhism is not about repression and reading texts without a good understanding of their context and broader implications, particularly in langauges which lack the depth of implications of some Eastern languages, is sometimes misleading.

In Buddhism the precepts, whilst a vital part of practice, along with meditation and insight, are not commandments. The word 'control' tends to give a wrong impression and is often not the best translation of the original Sanskrit and Pali terms. The precepts are not commandments but guidelines for training, undertaken in order for students to gain experential understanding of what it means to live as a Buddha. This is one reason why the precepts are often given twice in some traditions - first when formally becoming a Buddhist and taking refuge, and then again towards the end of formal training, when they are taken again as koans - pointing to the experience of living as a Buddha.

Exactly.
  • edited November 2005
    So...........

i think you're all saying there should be control in ones practice but you shouldn't let it control you?
  • edited November 2005
    Sounds good to me!
    mike