Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it okay to Meditate on an empty stomach?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2010 in Meditation
Or is it wise to eat first?
This is a question for when one meditates in the morning?

Thanks,
Leon

Comments

• edited November 2010
    LeonBasin wrote: »

Thanks,
    Leon

Ah good question :D

If you're hungry it is better to eat some food first and then start meditating.
    I've tried meditating on a completely empty stomach before and the experience isn't as good as when I meditate with a not-so-empty stomach.

But if too much food is eaten, it will cause you to be sleepy.
    Moderation in amounts of food will definitely help in meditation.
    Besides the amounts of food some other things to take into consideration is the type of food being eaten. Some food such as warm milk will cause the drinker to be sleepy.
    Even spicy food will cause discomfort in the stomach.
    It is recommended to eat something before meditation but at the same time watch what you're eating too :)

Best wishes to you,
    Exonesion.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    exonesion wrote: »
    Ah good question :D

I've tried meditating on a completely empty stomach before and the experience isn't as good as when I meditate with a not-so-empty stomach.

But if too much food is eaten, it will cause you to be sleepy.
    Moderation in amounts of food will definitely help in meditation.
    Besides the amounts of food some other things to take into consideration is the type of food being eaten. Some food such as warm milk will cause the drinker to be sleepy.
    Even spicy food will cause discomfort in the stomach.
    It is recommended to eat something before meditation but at the same time watch what you're eating too :)

Best wishes to you,
    Exonesion.

Thank you!
    What do you usually eat in the morning?
  • edited November 2010
    Thank you!
    What do you usually eat in the morning?

I usually eat a piece of hot-dog bread with a cup of hot piping tea.
    That is enough to wake me up and get ready for meditation :)
  • edited November 2010

I'd imagine it would take an extremely disciplined sage to be able to meditate for extended periods of times without eating. I know it's probably done often, however I don't understand why one would put themselves through such torture. No disrespect to those that do it for spiritual/religious reasons, however (friendly disclaimer).
    edited November 2010
    I usually eat a piece of hot-dog bread with a cup of hot piping tea.
    That is enough to wake me up and get ready for meditation :)

Hot Dog bread?
    Interesting.
    No fruits or anything?
    Does it need to be more solid food?
  • edited November 2010
    Hot Dog bread?
    Interesting.
    No fruits or anything?
    Does it need to be more solid food?

It is possible to include fruits or more solid food such as rice, cereals and noodles. I ate a hot dog bread is because Lunch is not so far away :)
  • edited November 2010
    it probaly doesnt matter either wahy
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited November 2010

Thanks,
    Leon
    I begin my meditation at 4:15 am and have breakfast at 6:30 am.
    After my(final) midday meal-11:00-12:00 I meditate up until 21:00.
    The problem you may have is if you are not used to this then the old stomach has got a bad habit of telling your mind that it thinks your throat has been cut.It likes to add sound effects to this.The thing to do,is try and sit through this for a while at least.It can't hurt you.
    This not eating first thing in the morning and meditating is practiced in meditation centers around the world and their intention is not to harm you(I hope):D
    Give it a go.
    With metta
    edited November 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    I begin my meditation at 4:15 am and have breakfast at 6:30 am.
    After my(final) midday meal-11:00-12:00 I meditate up until 21:00.
    The problem you may have is if you are not used to this then the old stomach has got a bad habit of telling your mind that it thinks your throat has been cut.It likes to add sound effects to this.The thing to do,is try and sit through this for a while at least.It can't hurt you.
    This not eating first thing in the morning and meditating is practiced in meditation centers around the world and their intention is not to harm you(I hope):D
    Give it a go.
    With metta

Thank You!
    That is what I thought:)
    It seems to get used to it.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010

Thanks,
    Leon

Sure.
    :)
    Namaste.
  • edited November 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    This not eating first thing in the morning and meditating is practiced in meditation centers around the world and their intention is not to harm you

Wow. So it's all about training your body with your mind, huh? That is very interesting. What are the levels to which man can control their bodies? I remember when I used to take Tae Kwon Do, the Master would let people drive over him in cars, and once he hung two buckets filled with water from his chest. He claimed it was mind-over-matter. To me, it's amazing that people can develop such skill with their minds.
  • edited November 2010
    For me personally, mindfulness and hunger do not co-exist well at all.
  • edited November 2010
    SteadyBlue wrote: »
    For me personally, mindfulness and hunger do not co-exist well at all.

Then how do you know you are hungry?
  • edited November 2010
    lol
  • edited November 2010
    karmadorje wrote: »
    Then how do you know you are hungry?
    You know what I mean xD...like serious mindfulness meditation mindfulness.