Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

frustrated

edited November 2010 in Meditation
I've been having a lot of trouble meditating recently. I can't seem to sit still, and my mind seems to be getting worse rather than better. Nothing has changed in my practice except I've been trying to increase the time I sit and I've been feeling rather irritable lately. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited November 2010
    How big an increase in sitting time and is this irritability about your meditation practice or something else.
    With metta
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Sorry forgot to ask-How long have you been meditating for and what is your practice?Do you have a teacher?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited November 2010
    BlackFlag wrote: »
    I've been having a lot of trouble meditating recently. I can't seem to sit still, and my mind seems to be getting worse rather than better. Nothing has changed in my practice except I've been trying to increase the time I sit and I've been feeling rather irritable lately. Does anyone have any advice?

Hi friend often when we go into meditation it can seem our mind is getting worse when in actual fact the opposite is true, We are just becoming aware of how busy the mind really is :)
    I practise prayers for meditation before actually engaging in meditation, This helps calms the mind and recieve blessings of the holy beings, Also as a preliminary to the actual placement meditation you should do a breathing meditation in order to calm the mind. You cant rush into meditation and expect to blow through the Jhanas like a hot knife through butter but rather that doing such depends upon causes and conditions for practise to be sucessfull.
  • edited November 2010
    nanadhaja: I've been meditating for about three weeks. I haven't been able to meditate anymore then 10 minutes but recently i decided to increase it to 20 minutes because I thought that was the norm based on what I've read in books. I'm not sure what you mean by what my practice is. . .and also I'm not under the guidance of any teacher at the moment, though I'm trying to find one.
  • edited November 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Hi friend often when we go into meditation it can seem our mind is getting worse when in actual fact the opposite is true, We are just becoming aware of how busy the mind really is
    Thank you for pointing this out. I also recently went from about 5 minutes to 15 minutes and noticed I seem to be less focused and was wondering why my meditation seemed less focused than the shorter times.
  • edited November 2010
    practice tai chi????
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I have been practicing for 2 months now and I usually do it for 15 min, twice a day. When I get up and when I go to bed. I suggest you start with 10 min and do not focus on what you are doing. But try to just do it, no matter what. Are you able to go to a Buddhist Temple? I attend a weekly meditation at a Zen Temple near my house. It is very helpful and the masters watch that you have correct posture and are able to answer any questions you have. Do not sweat about it feeling “wrong,” just keep sitting and keep adjusting. Every individual is different and will learn on his own terms. Keep practicing!
  • edited November 2010
    A while back I took some yoga classes. Now I do a yoga routine before I hit the meditation cushion.

It involves movement & stretching centered around the in and out breath. I do it slooowly and mindfully.

This activity helps me to settle into the meditation practice.

Just an idea.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    OP: Acknowledge any frustration or feelings that occur while you are meditating (while you are meditating); they too are transient. Also if you've increased your meditation time and are now having troubles, perhaps you should decrease to find a comfortable middle ground. There is no "right" amount of time other than what you are comfortable with! As someone pointed out, you are now aware of how busy the mind can be -- but also be aware that some days the mind will be busier than others. This isn't uncommon.
  • edited November 2010
    BlackFlag wrote: »
    my mind seems to be getting worse rather than better.

How do you mean, exactly?