Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Does Everyone Think About "Transcendental Meditation?"

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2010 in Meditation
What Does Everyone Think About "Transcendental Meditation?"
http://www.tm.org

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    When I was looking into meditation induced psychosis and adverse effects of meditation, TM came up over and over. Other than that, based on the costs associated with it, I consider it to be somewhat of a scam.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yea, when I saw the costs, that put me of quite a bit!
    Amazing that there has been 6 million people who have went through the course.
    Thanks for sharing!
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The only thing they say to support the claim that TM is any way better than mindfulness meditation is that most research into meditation is into TM and therefore all the known benefits of meditation are of TM. However, if you do an actual search on google scholar or read literature reviews, all the important articles are about mindfulness meditation, not TM. If you search for both, TM gives more search results, but mindfulness gives better search results.

To sum up, it does the same thing as mindfulness meditation, it's just packaged in a clever way. TM to meditation is what Bikram is to yoga or what Scientology is to religion.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The only thing they say to support the claim that TM is any way better than mindfulness meditation is that most research into meditation is into TM and therefore all the known benefits of meditation are of TM. However, if you do an actual search on google scholar or read literature reviews, all the important articles are about mindfulness meditation, not TM. If you search for both, TM gives more search results, but mindfulness gives better search results.

To sum up, it does the same thing as mindfulness meditation, it's just packaged in a clever way. TM to meditation is what Bikram is to yoga or what Scientology is to religion.

Thank you!
    Zazen/Zen seems to be one of the better ways to meditate from my research and speaking to other people and asking them their opinion.