Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can someone explain? How to meditate? Step by step.

edited November 2010 in Meditation
As title suggest it all. Someone please tell me how to meditate? Step by step

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Step 1: Listen to Gil Fronsdal's introduction to meditation classes

http://amberstar.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=Introduction%20to%20Meditation

Good luck.
  • edited November 2010
    Bro that is in parts can you post a tutorial without parts and only in a single page.
  • edited November 2010
    Breath meditation:
    Step 1 - Observe the breath as it goes in.
    Step 2 - Observe the breath as it goes out.
    Step 3 - Repeat.

This might be a little simplified but seriously as far as the step by step instructions go on a basic level this is what you're trying to do. It's what happens during this experience of watching the breath is where it gets a little tricky.

It sounds like you're after some concise instructions; visit this page for a basic idea. Bear in mind there are many different techniques or ways of doing breath meditation, and there are many different meditation objects besides the breath. Vipassana or insight meditation is a popular one too, google it.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Shriharsh wrote: »

Here's a copy and paste from a paper I used to hand out at the beginning of meditation classes I taught. Is this what you're looking for?

Buddhist practice starts with the twin concepts of Right Practice and Right Knowledge. Right Practice starts with meditation. Meditation is simple if you start at the beginning and take it one step at a time.

Meditation involves a relaxed focusing of the mind/body. It is used as a way to observe and become familiar with the "quiet mind" that is the core of Zen meditation.

The "quiet mind" is easy to understand. As you are reading this you hear the words in your mind. Occasionally you might also think, "this is boring" or "I knew that" or some such internal commentary. There is a thought generator in your mind that constantly spits out commentary on what's going on around you and what is on your mind, providing words and images, even if you are doing nothing. You have this internal dialog going, and usually don't notice it. More on the importance of recognizing the difference between the thoughts and the mind generating them later. For now, concentrate on recognizing the difference.

To begin meditation:
    Requirements: comfortable, loose clothing. A non-distracting setting (voices and music in the background can be distracting).

1. Assume a comfortable sitting position. The traditional "lotus" position of crossed legs is uncomfortable for most westerners raised on chairs. If you can sit on a cushion in a "half-lotus" that's fine, or even sit in a firm chair. What is important is posture..the back should be straight. You should be able to keep this position for 15 minutes without cramping. If you have back problems or other physical problems, then do what is comfortable and safe for you. Don't let it keep you from meditation.

2. The next important ingredient is your breathing. Breath from your diaphram, letting your belly go in and out instead of your chest. Take deep but relaxed breaths. If you get dizzy, you're breathing too fast.

3. For now, you're going to focus on your breaths. As you sit with eyes closed or at least unfocused, count your breaths in groups of 5 or 10. On the exhale, sub-vocalize the count as long as the breath lasts. If your mind generates a distracting thought, start over.

It should go something like this:
    IN...OUT...(oneeeeeeeeee......)
    IN...OUT...(twoooooooooo......)
    IN...OUT...(threeeeeeeeee...this is easy. Oops! That was a thought,
    now I have to start over!)

The point is, your mind is going to generate these "thoughts". It has had a lifetime to develop this habit. When out of the quiet of your mind you focus on these thoughts, and recognize them, then when they appear examine them, let them go back to the nothingness they came from , and return to your Quiet Mind. With practice your mind will become more familiar with the quiet state, and you will be ready for more explorations in meditation.

How long do you meditate? Listen to your body/mind. You cannot force yourself to relax. Even 10-15 minutes is OK and normal for beginners. Take a break if you want one. This isn't a Zen meditation hall with roaming monks carrying sticks. Meditation should be relaxing and even fun.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Shriharsh, there's no algorithm for meditation. However, what others have said should last you a couple of weeks.
  • edited November 2010
    Cinorjer wrote: »
    Here's a copy and paste from a paper I used to hand out at the beginning of meditation classes I taught. Is this what you're looking for?

Buddhist practice starts with the twin concepts of Right Practice and Right Knowledge. Right Practice starts with meditation. Meditation is simple if you start at the beginning and take it one step at a time.

Meditation involves a relaxed focusing of the mind/body. It is used as a way to observe and become familiar with the "quiet mind" that is the core of Zen meditation.

The "quiet mind" is easy to understand. As you are reading this you hear the words in your mind. Occasionally you might also think, "this is boring" or "I knew that" or some such internal commentary. There is a thought generator in your mind that constantly spits out commentary on what's going on around you and what is on your mind, providing words and images, even if you are doing nothing. You have this internal dialog going, and usually don't notice it. More on the importance of recognizing the difference between the thoughts and the mind generating them later. For now, concentrate on recognizing the difference.

To begin meditation:
    Requirements: comfortable, loose clothing. A non-distracting setting (voices and music in the background can be distracting).

1. Assume a comfortable sitting position. The traditional "lotus" position of crossed legs is uncomfortable for most westerners raised on chairs. If you can sit on a cushion in a "half-lotus" that's fine, or even sit in a firm chair. What is important is posture..the back should be straight. You should be able to keep this position for 15 minutes without cramping. If you have back problems or other physical problems, then do what is comfortable and safe for you. Don't let it keep you from meditation.

2. The next important ingredient is your breathing. Breath from your diaphram, letting your belly go in and out instead of your chest. Take deep but relaxed breaths. If you get dizzy, you're breathing too fast.

3. For now, you're going to focus on your breaths. As you sit with eyes closed or at least unfocused, count your breaths in groups of 5 or 10. On the exhale, sub-vocalize the count as long as the breath lasts. If your mind generates a distracting thought, start over.

It should go something like this:
    IN...OUT...(oneeeeeeeeee......)
    IN...OUT...(twoooooooooo......)
    IN...OUT...(threeeeeeeeee...this is easy. Oops! That was a thought,
    now I have to start over!)

The point is, your mind is going to generate these "thoughts". It has had a lifetime to develop this habit. When out of the quiet of your mind you focus on these thoughts, and recognize them, then when they appear examine them, let them go back to the nothingness they came from , and return to your Quiet Mind. With practice your mind will become more familiar with the quiet state, and you will be ready for more explorations in meditation.

How long do you meditate? Listen to your body/mind. You cannot force yourself to relax. Even 10-15 minutes is OK and normal for beginners. Take a break if you want one. This isn't a Zen meditation hall with roaming monks carrying sticks. Meditation should be relaxing and even fun.

hey bro thanks for your tutorial. Nice and excellent. I've one problem though at what time i should start doing meditation? In early morning or at any time?
  • edited November 2010
    I find early morning good for me because my mind is clearer then at night. But I also find a nice meditation before bed soothing too, I think its up to you really.
    edited November 2010
    Yep, the important thing is, schedule something and then do it. That differs for everyone. You wouldn't think so, but the hardest part of meditation is simply making time to sit down and do nothing for 15 minutes or so. For myself, it's early morning after a cup of coffee, but evening works better for some.
  • edited November 2010
    Magga wrote: »
    Breath meditation:
    Step 1 - Observe the breath as it goes in.
    Step 2 - Observe the breath as it goes out.
    Step 3 - Repeat.

I agree, that's really all you need. When it's time for you to try other styles or techniques, you'll know.

I also recommend finding a place to meditate where you won't be disturbed, at least until you build your concentration.
  • edited November 2010
    One should always learn to meditade from a qualified Teacher, in Buddhism a Lama , monk etc. It is easy to fall into bad habits if you go at it alone or just based on a book etc.
  • edited November 2010
    One should always learn to meditade from a qualified Teacher, in Buddhism a Lama , monk etc. It is easy to fall into bad habits if you go at it alone or just based on a book etc.
    ^GOod Advice there! Very important!
  • edited November 2010
    Shriharsh wrote: »

Hi Shriharsh,

I think meditation requires some guidance. If you can join some Buddhist meditative group it will be wonderful otherwise I recommend The Heart of Buddhist Meditation by Ven. Nyanaponika Thera, a German monk who dedicated his life to the cause of Buddhism in Thailand. The language is simple to grasp without any mumbo jumbo, which is what we need as lay practioner's and someone who are just starting with meditation.
  • edited November 2010
    Crush yourself with the weight of the uncarved block.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Cinorjer wrote: »

Thanks for that! I try meditating for short periods of 10 mins, using the bodily sensations as a point of focus , starting from my toes pressing my seat.

I notice thoughts came and they led to another thought etc, then I just see these thoughts go by and return to my point of focus.

Here's what I felt:

I can see that thoughts come and go, and you need not react to these thoughts, and these thoughts usually will lead to another related thought.

Am I doing it right? I am not saying I should feel happier/calmer immediately after meditation.

The effects may be subtle and it takes time to sink into my subconscience and remould how I react to these thoughts?

Any advice welcomed, thanks! :)
  • edited November 2010

Hi Shriharsh,

I would recommend that you try to find a class, rather than meditating from instructions in books or from other people on the internet. However, if that is impossible, then this is a reliable Buddhist meditation video series from a Buddhist teacher called Ajahn Jayasaro. The first one is the introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited November 2010
    Here is one extremely powerful visual that I have experienced.

You need to have a highly astute/versatile imagination for this.

Imagine yourself sitting cross-legged, on a rock tower.
    Underneath you, water radials outwards from you, and then pours away as they fall from the steep heights of the tower.

You then observe your thoughts float away with the water. Mindfulness.

Slowly as you sink into a deeper meditative state, perhaps the visual of calmer water will bring you deeper.

waterfall_7.jpg

geysir-netmynd_342_239.jpg
    I know it's a geyser, but imagine this as a rock tower with water pouring out, and you sitting right on top of it.

It helps me a lot to immediately sink into a meditative state.
    edited November 2010
    Lostie wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I try meditating for short periods of 10 mins, using the bodily sensations as a point of focus , starting from my toes pressing my seat.

I notice thoughts came and they led to another thought etc, then I just see these thoughts go by and return to my point of focus.

Here's what I felt:

I can see that thoughts come and go, and you need not react to these thoughts, and these thoughts usually will lead to another related thought.

Am I doing it right? I am not saying I should feel happier/calmer immediately after meditation.

The effects may be subtle and it takes time to sink into my subconscience and remould how I react to these thoughts?

Any advice welcomed, thanks! :)

Focus on the breath, let the thoughts come, examine them, and let them go back to the nothingness from which they came. Yes, there will be another thought coming down the pipe. You've had a lifetime to acquire the mental habits that create these. Even the fastest learner has to be a little patient.

And as everyone here points out, the absolutely best way to learn meditation is find a class somewhere. It doesn't have to even be a Buddhist class, but stay away from those groups that want to charge you for their special brand of meditation guaranteed to change your life or give you special powers or the secret to success. You want simple meditation. Try a UU church group, if nothing else. A lot of them have Buddhists who meet for meditation sessions.

But if you just want to explore what meditation is, you're probably doing it right. It's just that meditation is boring if done right, also. It's supposed to be. Your active mind is used to stimulation, and if it doesn't get it, will generate its own. Like thoughts, images, excuses, etc.

Good luck.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Cinorjer,

Thanks! What do you mean by to "examine" the thoughts?

Lostie
    edited November 2010
    Cinorjer,

Thanks! What do you mean by to "examine" the thoughts?

Lostie

I don't mean try to make sense of them or keep some sort of catalogue of types of thoughts and such. Just make notice that this is a thought, something external to you. It's the little thought generator in your mind throwing up random stuff. Don't kick yourself because you can't stop thoughts from intruding on your breath counting. Just notice the thought, shrug your mental shoulders, let it go back to the nothingness it came from, and go back to your breathing. Repeat as necessary.

And, you'll do it constantly at first. But gradually, the intervals of quiet mind will be longer, the breaths become natural, until your mind becomes used to just sitting quiety.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Cinorjer,

Thanks again for your reply!
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Hi all,

I just did a 20 min meditation.

Here's what I felt:

1. Time passes faster it seems than the 10 min routines I did earlier.

2. Feeling sleepy ( so I just called it "Sleepy" thoughts - must be the meal I had.)

Maybe I was in a drowsy stage and that's why time passed faster. LOL!

I will try again tomorrow.

One question : can we use meditation to dismantle our own prejudices/anger against someone?

Or we just have to really let our subconscience, thru' time, to soften the prejudice/anger on its own? Can we be more pro-active?

If so, how we can do it?

Please advise. Thanks.
    edited November 2010
    Meditation causes you to notice the trigger that jumpstarts your anger and fears, which are the thoughts that arise. Thoughts that include the word "should" will trigger anger. It's simple.

Let me be clear, the distinction is that thoughts trigger anger and fear, which then causes the two to feed on each other. You see, we usually don't question how true our thoughts are. It's me, after all. Would I lie to myself? Well, yes. Would I be wrong? Well, yes. But once you realize this, and once you notice your thoughts as not you, only thoughts, you'll be able to stop the process.

Example: You are standing in a crowd, and someone steps on your foot. After the pain, the thought arises, "She should not have done that! She should have been more careful!" That causes anger. Now the thought generator kicks into full gear. "She should have apologized. She didn't even stop to see if I was all right. She could have broken my foot. I bet she did it on purpose! That (bleep), if I see that woman again I'm going to give her a piece of my mind!"

Now you're angry, fuming, and the thoughts that keep arising feed that anger. So you make it to your seat but your experience is ruined as your mind remains filled with thoughts of the terrible injustice done to you. And if you do see the woman, your anger causes a fight. If you're driving a car when someone cuts you off, it's called road rage and can get people killed. Over thoughts about what people "should" be doing.

Now, instead, after the pain of having your foot trod on, you think, "She should have been more careful! Wait, that's a 'should' thought. No harm done, and it's easy for something like this to happen in a crowd. She was in a hurry and it was an accident. I'd rather relax and enjoy the show."

Then you find a seat and continue with your night of enjoyment. You begin to notice the thoughts that trigger your emotions. It's actually the basis for modern Cognitive Psychology.

So what "should" thoughts do you have bombarding your mind? Begin to notice them and let them go back to nothingness, causing only minor ripples in the calm pool of your mind.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    What if the person whom you are angry with or have prejudiced agst is a significant other, someone you see everyday and for a foreseeable future to come.

Feelings got bottled up over time and it's really up to me to let go.

If we can't reason our way out to "forgive" a person, but thru' meditation/mindfulness we can? I understand that meditation is beyond the realm of reasoning.

And I believe meditation works in a subconscious way where insights (results) may not be immediate. Can I put it this way?

I'll take note of the "should" thoughts. :)

Thanks!
    edited November 2010
    What if the person whom you are angry with or have prejudiced agst is a significant other, someone you see everyday and for a foreseeable future to come.

Feelings got bottled up over time and it's really up to me to let go.

If we can't reason our way out to "forgive" a person, but thru' meditation/mindfulness we can? I understand that meditation is beyond the realm of reasoning.

And I believe meditation works in a subconscious way where insights (results) may not be immediate. Can I put it this way?

I'll take note of the "should" thoughts. :)

Thanks!

You're asking an awful lot from a few moments of meditation. Meditation is all about developing a clear mind. A bad situation remains a bad situation, but perhaps you'll be able to see the true situation more clearly. Perhaps its not as bad as your thoughts indicate right now. Who knows?

Whatever you're trying to change in your life, meditation won't make it worse. We often talk about trying not to cram too many expectations into your meditation, that it can get in the way. If you expect miracles, you're only going to be disappointed.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for your advice. It all takes time and effort on our part. :)