Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

reliance on guided meditation

edited November 2010 in Meditation
As a beginner, I've found it convenient to switch on guided meditations as a training template for my meditations. However, I've been pondering the negative effects of using them: I switch from one meditation to the next quickly, and also think I lose a bit of focus on the inner workings of my mind when I hear another voice dictating a program for the meditation experience.

Just curious how people incorporate guided meditation into their practice? Ideas on incorporating the tool or abusing it?

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Depends on how you use them. I'd recommend you do one guided per week and then practice by yourself for the rest of the week. If you only listen to guided meditations, then that's probably not a good idea.
  • edited November 2010
    Why would you change from one meditation to the next quickly?
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Rob3rt wrote: »
    Why would you change from one meditation to the next quickly?
    Maybe because guided meditation five to seven days a week might make you want to SCREAM?

I mean, when they go on and on talking through the whole meditation really all I want is for them to shut up so that I can get out of their clutches and do a little meditating awhile.

The whole point of guided meditation is to help you. Availing oneself of both guided and unguided methods is not a "quick change" of methodology. No, they are just different phases of the same thing.

At my local sangha the guided meditations are led by an Indian physician who just cannot stop with his words explaining how to be thinking, feeling, etc. A dear old fellow, really, so no one is bold enough to tell him some silence (or expectation of it) would be helpful.
  • edited November 2010
    Thank you for the different perspectives! Rob3rt, I have found myself going from one to the other (not in one session!) every few days. I am thinking it is because I'm interested in hearing other peoples methods or trying out the different styles of meditation? I am rather new to the practice and tend to be over-curious at times. Also with the ease of technology I have flooded myself with too much information/mp3's. Time to scale it back.

I'm answering my own questions but it is still good to hear other input on how or if guided meditations are used.

ShiftPlusOne, I like your suggestion of trying one out at the beginning of the week and then going on your own. Thank you.
  • edited November 2010
    I see, I thought you means switching between different guided meditations like on the spot, within the same session, as if you had created a playlist of them on your mp3 player or something.

Personally I find having a guided meditation with the Sangha once a week is good to see me through the week, the rest of the time I simply go on feel (or occasionally use meditation timer app on my phone which will make a gentle bell chime every 5-10 mins to alert me of the "phases" or the meditation - I always remember to set the phone to airplane mode so no-one can disturb me :P)
  • edited November 2010
    Hi dreamweapon,

I don't think its a good idea to keep switching from one method to another all the time.
    This is a very good Buddhist meditation series you could try for a while. The first one is an introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

Kind wishes,

Dazzle