Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wandering Mind Makes You Sad, Scientists Say: What Brings Happiness?

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited November 2010 in Arts & Writings
Hey, at work at the nursing home today I saw a CBS news report on a new scientific study. No reference to meditation or Buddhism. It was a lark.

Next phase of the study is to find out ways to keep the mind from wandering.

Science! Isn't it wanderful?

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That's not science, that seems more like a little research project undertaken by a student maybe... the data was collected using an iPhone app... that's not very scientific.

However, it's always good to see yet another confirmation.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Well, I'm not willing to spend the $15 for 24 hrs access to Science Magazine to investigate whether I think it follows scientific method. However, it was presented as science on the telly by CBS.

I found it quaintly bemusing and just wanted to share. Couldn't help myself laughing inwardly when they presented this material as if nobody had ever thought of this stuff before. The incredulity of the anchors at the possible implications was really telling.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    "Not surprisingly, people were happiest when making love."

I hd to explain to the Wife why I started laughing so hard she heard me in the next room. So they have an iphone app that randomly polls people asking what they're doing right now and how happy it makes them, and...

The picture in my head of the phone next to the bed beeping as the text comes in asking, and someone actually stops making love to answer the thing...

I am definitely not part of the iphone generation. If someone tries to interrupt me, it better be because the house is on fire.