Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Negatives in life and the focus aimed at them

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited November 2005 in Buddhism Today
I was just reading through some of the titles of threads here and some of the posts connected. I see a lot of focus on negative thinking. It seems that we keep pointing out what is wrong with ourselves and what is wrong with the world and what is wrong everything.

Well here in this thread lets point out what is right. I will start.

No matter how much suffering is in the world most people are genuinlly good and decent. Some politicians are not out for themselves and really want to help. Not all American cars are built crappy these days. I don't know which ones but I only buy and drive old American cars. All the new ones do is break down. Gasoline is still a good thing. It makes hot rods louder.

Now let's here from you.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Reminds me of that 'Calvin & Hobbes' comic strip BSF sent me....

Hobbes asks, as they're about to play soldiers,
    "How come we play War and not Peace?"
    Calvin replies,
    "Too few Role Models."

Ask anyone to think back and to remember an episode in their life which stands out as being sad or negative, which made them feel angry, or to think of something that they feel was not just or fair, and unfortunately, most people will come up with one or two incidents, which will still seem to have an effect on them, even if the person states or believes they're 'over it'....
    Ask the same person to think back and to remember an episode in their life which stands out as being happy or positive, which made them feel glad, or to think of something that they feel was just or fair and unfortunately, most people will have to stop and really think - and they'll come up with something relatively recent (a birth, a marriage) but they won't be as positively affected by this memory, as they were negatively affected by the first example.

It's a question of actively changing our mind-set. Of deliberately refusing to focus on the 'Bad' and instead, being determined to home in on, and utilise & channel the 'Good'.
    If we're truly philosophical, we would say, 'Who knows what IS Good? Who knows what IS Bad?' Or we'd say that it all serves to teach us, to shape us, to make us the people we are today.
    This is why I developped my mantra/signature.
    because I know that both Happiness and Sadness, Positive/Negative, Good/Bad are simply states of Mind. And the more we tell ourselves something, (be it Plus or Minus) the more ingrained it becomes into our Sub/Un/conscious. You have to Live it and Be it to believe it and to manifest it.

This is absolutely crucial and vital in the responsibility of bringing up a child.
    If the first word they learn is 'No'....it's already a hill to climb for them.....
    I was taught, during my training, that it's better to say, "Please don't do that...." or even "Oh, do you think that's a wise thing to do....?"
    It obviously depends on the age of the child. You do or say what's appropriate.....
    'Ouch!" is a good one, if a toddler is about to put their hands on the oven door.....!
    But start from day one with a 'Positive' message and outlook, and things can only improve....!

Thank you for the timely reminder, Comic!
    Smile everyone, and repeat after me......
  • edited November 2005
    Okay, I'll give it a try...

-Not all people in dark clothes and chains are bad people

-I am sure there are some competent people in the Dell Service Department

-It is right to assume that some Macintosh Computers are not completely useless!

Wow! That felt good...
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Okay, I'll give it a try...

-Not all people in dark clothes and chains are bad people

-I am sure there are some competent people in the Dell Service Department

-It is right to assume that some Macintosh Computers are not completely useless!

Wow! That felt good...

Now see what happens if you remove the "not all" and "some".