Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Walking meditation & a visitor...

BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
edited December 2010 in Meditation
I was doing some walking meditation at the Sawgrass State Park (Florida), walking along the shore of the small lake there, when I had some company join me - about 6 feet of company!

Thought I'd share:

DSCN1043b.jpg
DSCN1045b.jpg
DSCN1046b.jpg
DSCN1047b.jpg

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Yes, and that's when you began a new form of walking meditation... "walking faster meditation"... right? :)
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Yes, and that's when you began a new form of walking meditation... "walking faster meditation"... right? :)
    I might have invented running meditation! :D
  • edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »

Great advice! haha :)

I had a situation like this once too (few times actually). First was well before I began practicing Buddhism. I was meditating at a pond (actually pondering on the aspect of Undine as was what I was studying at the time) and a fox came RIGHT next to me as I sat on a rock. No hesitation it walked up to sniff me, I raised my hand and it darted off. Profound really only in the sense that I've never had something like that happen to me; and also that it happened as I was meditating...

Recently also as I was meditating somewhat late in a nearby park (zazen meditation) A person was walking by on the somewhat nearby sidewalk... For some reason, he began to sing aloud (Not sure if he was aware of me or not). And he sung WELL too! Like, Pavarotti good. He just kept singing off into the night...

Stuff like this is rather amusing isn't it? :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    You've got gators, and I've got snow. Snow.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Rmurray: Yeah it's funny when animals do stuff like that; it's like curiosity gets the best of them and they forget their natural wariness, darting off when they snap out of it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Rubber bands....
    A croc (or alligator) exerts extraordinarily strong pressure in its bite, and can crush bones and kill you with little or no effort.
    However, the muscles that open those huge jaws are extremely weak, (They don't need to be anythng else!) and a croc's jaws can be clamped shut with a simple rubber band, probably for long enough to make your escape.

(First though, get it to keep its mouth shut.... that's the secret of a successful manoeuvre...!)

Run away in a zig-zag route.
    Their eyesight's poor, and they tend to be more receptive to scent... in a straight line, they're pretty fast, but running after you, by latching onto your scent and keeping it, is harder to do when the prey's running zig-zag all over the place....

I suggest starting with small crocs first, to practise, then progress to the bigger boys....

Heimlich never practised his Heimlich manoeuvre.
    Likewise, I've not tested the above personally, but I'm assured it works. :D
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I thought crocs are like snakes, in the sense that they're only a concern if you're within striking distance. Aren't they really slow on land? I wouldn't really know, I live in the non-everything-wants-to-kill-me part of Australia.
    edited December 2010
    Actually, we just kinda stared at each other for awhile. I took out my camera, snapped a few pics, and he (she?) swam away. Quite peaceful.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, that's the sort of behaviour I'd expect. Unless the croc was starving and you were in water or poking it with a stick for a while, I don't think it would really bother attacking you.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2010
    scan0001.jpg

Alligators really don't care for people that much. They pretty much just lay there and do nothing. Most of the time they just act like you are not even there and could care less. However, if you are walking a dog, that is a whole different story. Last time I was at everglades national park there was a 12 footer just laying in the middle of the path. The park ranger said "No problem, just walk around him". Going there during breding season is amazing. You walk down the path and see like 50 of them all over the place. They make very weird grunting noises too. Beautiful animals! :)
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe it was a reborn relative trying to figure out where they've seen you before... :)
    edited December 2010
    tbunton wrote: »
    Maybe it was a reborn relative trying to figure out where they've seen you before... :)
    Did look a little like my Aunt Sophie. :rolleyesc