Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Turkey Day

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Today
Well Thanksgiving is almost upon us! Does any one have special traditions or food ideas (for us not meat eaters) they would like to share?
Mike

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Reading your question, D&M, I had anm unworthy thought: why not celebrate Thanksgiving by offering to cook and serve a meal for local Ndns?
  • edited November 2005
    I have a special tradition.

I go around annoying my husband by saying "Turkey-Turkey-Turkey-Turkey....." while bouncing up and down like a little kid :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear........

post-771-1122354277.gif
  • edited November 2005
    We have tons of people get together with tons of food! You are all welcome to come over! There will be plenty of food I'm sure! Simon I'm not sure I know what Ndns are. Sorry I'm not up on all the lingo I guess.
    Mike :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Our "new" tradition (for the last eight or nine years, anyway) has been to first go over to Tracey's parents' house around 1:00 in the afternoon, and eat a mediocre meal (she tends to dry out the turkey), try to eat as little as possible even though I really love thanksgiving dinners.... because then we have to rush over my mom's house at 3 or 4 and eat the "real" meal... Every year it feels like we are pitting one mom against the other. Mom in law resents the fact that we have to rush out and eat a little, and my mom resents that we get there having already eaten... :rolleyes: can't win....

We said "fuck it" this year, and offered to have BOTH families over OUR house for dinner...

BOTH MOMS SAID NO. go figure.
  • edited November 2005
    Well let's all get together then! I'm sure it would be one hell of a pot luck!
    Mike
    edited November 2005
    Ndn = Native Americans
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Simon I'm not sure I know what Ndns are. Sorry I'm not up on all the lingo I guess.
    Mike :)

Thank Goodness! I thought I was the only Nerd round here......! Hey! Maybe THAT'S what it means - ! :lol:
    QUOTE=Brian
    "We said "fuck it" this year, and offered to have BOTH families over OUR house for dinner...

BOTH MOMS SAID NO. go figure."

*Blushes at Brian* Well.... if you phrased it like that, I'm not surprised! :D:p

Would LOVE to come over, but I'll have to take a raincheck..... distance is a bit of a show-stopper..... :(;)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I'd love to make it too, but I work the night before and the night of Thanksgiving. I do need my sleep to perform my job effectively.

By the way all, I had never heard of Ndn until this post. I feel less ignorant now that Fede admitted she didn't know.
  • edited November 2005
    Dawn & Mike, Thank you for the Invitation, but I am afraid I will not be able to make it.
    I will be celebrating with my tribe. There will be plenty of food, song and dance here to. As well as offerings to mother earth and father sky. Thanksgiving, as it has come to be known, was orginally a harvest festival for my people. It was a time of celebration for all the wonderful blessings that Mother Earth, Father Sky and the Great Spirit had given the Tsa-la-gi.

Thanks again,
    Hawk
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    What's the deal, Brian?!?!?!

You've actually made a couple of posts out here in the same day!

I'm very impressed. It's kind of like you actually like us :)

-bf
    edited November 2005
    Ndn = Native Americans

Where does the 'd' figure....?
    .....Or is it a bit like 'Edinburgh' being properly pronounced as 'Edin-borough?'
    You know, one of those inexplicable little language foibles we British are so fond of....? :tonguec: ;)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    What's the deal, Brian?!?!?!

You've actually made a couple of posts out here in the same day!

I'm very impressed. It's kind of like you actually like us :)

-bf

Yeah, I come around every now and then :p :whatever:
  • edited November 2005
    My Dad and I travel every Thanksgiving morning very early to go downtown in Cleveland. There is a small church that makes food for local poor people. The first year I did it, I got to scoop mashed potatoes, last year I was Butter Packaging Administrator, and I am looking forward to next week as well!

This will be the 3rd year I have done this. It is a very fullfilling experience!
    edited November 2005
    One of the jolliest Christmases that I ever spent was the year when my ex-wife refused to let me see my sons. I offerd my services to Crisis At Christmas and spent the days of the festival cooking, serving and clearing away food for homeless people in London. We had a ball!

P.S. Ndn (pronounced "Indian"?) is how my friends on 'reservations' and Native Americans of the diaspora call themselves. Mind you, between themselves, they call themselves "skins" but I am not sure that I am comfortable, as a white man, using that expression.
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited November 2005
    dawn and mike thanks for the invitation,
    i'll be there in spirit.so please someone help me finish off my turkey.happy thanksgiving day to you all.btw what day is the thanksgiving celebration?
  • edited November 2005
    I woul dlike to take some great Veggie dishes for all to enjoy. Does anyone have any thing they would recomend?
    Mike
  • edited November 2005
    Hi Mike,

I have tons of great vegetarian recipes - what are you looking for? I just posted an excellent butternut squash recipe in the "Vegetarian Recipe" post.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Being that I am going ot be spending Thanksgiving in Las Vegas this year, away from my wife and kids, and going over to my dad and sister's place is nothing but one argument after another I think I will see what my single friend is doing and maybe go to his house and watch movies and eat chicken or something.
    edited November 2005
    When I was on my own at Thanksgiving in Oklahoma City, I found a warm and very pleasant welcome at the gay clubs. A lot of people there whose families wouldn't have them or who wouldn't have their families.
  • edited November 2005
    That makes me sad, Simon. Family members can be so mean sometimes, can't they??
  • edited November 2005
    Though my parents are from the old school south they are very accepting. Dawn and I had a gay room mate this summer who was an intern where I work. He was always accepted regardless to all of our get-togethers! Too bad others can't be as accepting. I feel that it is our "fixed" and "frozen" views of what we think we know that cause us such suffering!
    Back to the food. We would love to take anything veggie! Some thing that would help non-veggies to see that it can be quite yummy and good for you! The invite is still open for those who would like to come to good ol North Carolina for T-giving!
    Mike
    edited November 2005
    So, just remember: if you're on your own over Thanksgiving, or Christmas, there is often a friendly, accepting welcome at your local gay bar.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    So, just remember: if you're on your own over Thanksgiving, or Christmas, there is often a friendly, accepting welcome at your local gay bar.

Or if you are a recovering alcoholic/drug addict, 12 step groups (straight and gay) have wonderful Thanksgiving dinners (except OA). Be careful and go to one that is non smoking if you don't want to get lung cancer started in one day.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I'd recommend eggplant-tomato casserole or картофель запеченны с грибами (potato and mushroom casserole). In case you can't read cyrillic, the latter is a delicious Russian dish with potatoes, mushrooms and sour cream - yum! It's what I'm making for our sangha gathering.

Pal (the non-vegetarian) zang

(and hopefully non-vegetable)

edited November 2005
    If you could post the recipes in vegetarian recipe thread, it would be nice.... in plain little ole English: I'm fresh out of Anglo-Russian phrase-books - !!:buck: :winkc: