Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lost in books

edited December 2010 in Sanghas
I've been doing a lot of research on Buddhism throughout this past year and there are a lot of things about this that I agree with. Most of my information has come from books and a little from my psychologist. A lot of the books I have read have talked about the importance of the sangha (am I using the right word?) or the Buddhist community. I live about an hour away from the nearest place of gathering Buddhists. Not only that, it is in the capital of my state where I would feel a bit overwhelmed. I have a lot of questions and could really use some one on one with someone with more wisdom than myself. I've posted a few threads but I still have a lot to ask. Is there anyone out there willing to maybe give me some knowledge privately and possibly answer some questions?? I would really appreciate it.:o

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The entire purpose of this forum is for people to help each other, though not really privately so much (that only helps one person). In this way it is sorta like a sangha; a gathering of people with the same intention of seeking knowledge and helping others in their search. Good sites like http://www.buddhanet.net and http://www.accesstoinsight.org are helpful for gaining a solid grasp of the teachings, and then what you don't quite understand you ask of the forum to help you.

That you stipulated "give me some knowledge privately" and "possibly answer some questions" as two separate things makes me think you mean the first one as passing on "wisdom". No one can do that, not even here. Wisdom is experiential knowledge that only you can have; we can only pass on the teachings or express our own beliefs or perspective on those teachings. There's nothing secretive in the Buddha's teachings, as if some great master hidden in the shadows of an internet forum can send you a private message and let you in on the secret. It's all out there; we're just trying to make it more clear as well as understand it ourselves! :) Wisdom is exactly that quality of life that words can not express. The truth can be pointed toward and a map given to reach it, but never simply given; this is the path we walk to be free.

The more different viewpoints and ways of putting things into words that you receive to a question, the greater chance one of them will engender understanding in your own mind. That is the greatest benefit of the forum; we may not understand something based on how one author wrote it in a book, but many people who have through some effort come to an understanding can interact with others and re-word these ideas as needed until understanding arises.

What kind of questions do you have? I'm sure that you'll find your answers here at NewBuddhist! :)
  • edited December 2010
    amylynn518 wrote: »
    I've been doing a lot of research on Buddhism throughout this past year and there are a lot of things about this that I agree with. Most of my information has come from books and a little from my psychologist. A lot of the books I have read have talked about the importance of the sangha (am I using the right word?) or the Buddhist community. I live about an hour away from the nearest place of gathering Buddhists. Not only that, it is in the capital of my state where I would feel a bit overwhelmed. I have a lot of questions and could really use some one on one with someone with more wisdom than myself. I've posted a few threads but I still have a lot to ask. Is there anyone out there willing to maybe give me some knowledge privately and possibly answer some questions?? I would really appreciate it.:o
    It is a good idea for you to visit reliable Sangha community rather than relying on information or people from the internet. Developing wrong views and doing the wrong practice is all too common. Sangha are professionals who knows how to teach us the Dharma in the right way to benefit us.

Where do you live?
  • edited December 2010
    I am from Upstate New York. The closest place for me I think is Albany. How do I go about finding a teacher? I have never even been to a temple or done anything in real life reguarding Buddhism.
  • edited December 2010
    amylynn518 wrote: »
    I am from Upstate New York. The closest place for me I think is Albany. How do I go about finding a teacher? I have never even been to a temple or done anything in real life reguarding Buddhism.

There you go!
    http://www.ibps.org/newyork/

Sorry they don't seem to have a English page for the New York branch.... :/
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Guys are great :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Does an hour's journey seem like a lot?