Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is conditioned phenomena?

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, I'm having some trouble understanding the meaning of conditioned phenomena. I understand it as something constructed, and in a state of flux, and could be any physical object or emotion. My question is: can it be an abstract object, as in something intangible but permanent? For example a mathematical theorem, once a proof has been deductively constructed, has been and will be true forever. Sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it in the forum. Thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Even mathematical theora depend on other mathematical theora for their existence, and are therefore conditioned phenomena. A conditioned phenomena is something that depends on something else, that is, causes and conditions, for their existence. The concept of flux is secondary to this. If it depends on something else for its existence, it's a conditioned phenomena.

The mathematics discussion was had recently in a different form. I myself tend to think of mathematical theora as mere human constructs and therefore also conditioned because of that, but there are those who would disagree with that, and I'm sure they'll be along presently to do precisely that.

Edit: Abstractions depend on the human mind to construct them and understand them. If there were no humans to observe phenomena and create and understand abstractions, they wouldn't "exist". And they're only true on this level of existence. My most recent understanding of superstring theory is that there are eleven "universes", or something like that. At least eleven.

I guess it comes down to the old question about the tree falling in the forest, huh? Sound waves produced, but no human to hear them. Sound is therefore a conditioned phenomena. And so it goes.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited December 2010
    A conditioned phenomenon is one that arises due to causes other than itself. Since it depends on causes other than itself, when this combination of causes ceases, so will it. So all conditioned phenomena are impermanent. A conditioned phenomenon is different than a dependent phenomenon, as the dependence can be of another sort than depending on causes. Even space and nirvana, which are not conditioned phenomena, are dependent, according to the Buddhist analysis.

Abstract concepts, such as math, are not phenomena of any kind, conditioned or unconditioned. They are merely ideas. But they still are dependent on the thoughts that give rise to them.
  • edited December 2010
    The Short Teaching Regarding the Heart of Perfect Wisdom

The sincere practitioner Avalokitesvara
    while intently practicing the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    perceived that all of the five phenomenal aggregates are empty of inherent existence
    and was thereby saved from all suffering and distress.

He told Shariputra:
    Form does not differ from emptiness,
    emptiness does not differ from form.
    That which is form is emptiness,
    that which is emptiness is form.
    The same is true of feelings,
    perceptions, impulses, and consciousness.

Shariputra,
    all perceived phenomena are marked with emptiness.
    They do not appear or disappear,
    they are neither tainted nor pure,
    nor do they increase or decrease.

Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, no feeling,
    no perception, no impulse, and no consciousness.
    There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind;
    no color, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch,
    no object of mind,
    no mind to perceive,
    and so forth
    until it is clear that there is no realm of mental consciousness.

There is no ignorance nor extinction of ignorance,
    and so forth until no old age and death
    and also no extinction of these phenomena.

There is no suffering, no origination,
    no stopping, no path, no cognition,
    nor is there attainment, because there is nothing to attain.

If the sincere practitioner depends on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation,
    and the mind is not a hindrance,
    without any hindrance no fears exist.

Far apart from every incorrect view one dwells in the final state of seeing clearly.

In the innumerable worlds and dimensions
    all sincere practitioners depend on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    and thereby attain the final state of seeing clearly.

Therefore know that the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom
    is the great transcendent mantra,
    the great clarifying mantra,
    the ultimate mantra,
    the supreme mantra
    which is able to relieve all suffering,
    is perfectly clear,
    and is beyond any mistaken perception.

So proclaim the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom.
    Proclaim the mantra which says:

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.

“Gone Beyond, gone beyond, gone completely beyond, gone to the other shore.
    Clarity.
    So it is.”
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited December 2010
    allycnote wrote: »
    Hi, I'm having some trouble understanding the meaning of conditioned phenomena.

It is a thing, a structure, a system, a pattern, an experience... an anything which might not have been or may or may not be.
    My question is: can it be an abstract object, as in something intangible but permanent? For example a mathematical theorem, once a proof has been deductively constructed, has been and will be true forever.

I don't know. Is the number 7 or the logical truth "Either P or not P" conditioned? I think probably not, they seem more eternal/universal, like the three Marks of existence themselves.
  • edited December 2010
    Hi, I'm having some trouble understanding the meaning of conditioned phenomena. I understand it as something constructed, and in a state of flux, and could be any physical object or emotion. My question is: can it be an abstract object, as in something intangible but permanent? For example a mathematical theorem, once a proof has been deductively constructed, has been and will be true forever. Sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it in the forum. Thanks!

There can be unconditioned phenomena; perhaps theorems exist thus.

Static phenomena; things that don't change. Such as: voidness, dharmakaya, etc.
  • edited December 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    There can be unconditioned phenomena; perhaps theorems exist thus.

Static phenomena; things that don't change. Such as: voidness, dharmakaya, etc.

But neither of these types of phenomena exist inherently.
  • edited December 2010
    But neither of these types of phenomena exist inherently.

Sure. I think they coemerge from {voidness}
  • edited December 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    Sure. I think they coemerge from {voidness}

Not sure what you mean exactly, although I'm glad you expressed {voidness} as [empty set].

Again, I think theora depend on the human mind for their "existence" and "truth". And I think {voidness} only exists as the concept of [empty set], which also depends on the human mind.

D-oh, I'd have to look dharmakaya up again. But you notice I posted a version of the Heart Sutra above, so you can sort of take it from there...

Edit: I had guessed that dharmakaya was "truth body" but I had to go look quick. IMHO that's a concept too, and apparently only in the Mahayana/Vajrayana. So I would submit that as a concept, it's dependent on the human mind too.
  • edited December 2010
    Again, I think theora depend on the human mind for their "existence" and "truth". And I think {voidness} only exists as the concept of [empty set], which also depends on the human mind.

What about this kind of voidness?
    [SIZE=+4] [watery] + [abyss] even better than a concept, we got a pictogram :P

[/SIZE]
    oh oh this one:

The Tao is like a well:
    used but never used up.
    It is like the eternal void:
    filled with infinite possibilities.

It is hidden but always present.
    I don't know who gave birth to it.
    It is older than God.
    [SIZE=+4]
    [/SIZE]
  • edited December 2010
    Thank you for the responses. So my conclusion is thinking abstractly doesn't cause dukkha. My question was more pragmatic, I'm trying to understand how one can always stay in the present moment without letting your mind wonder to things that cause unhappiness. Are Buddhists not supposed to think about the past or the future or just things irrelevant to the present moment?
  • edited December 2010
    Are Buddhists not supposed to think about the past or the future or just things irrelevant to the present moment?

It's really only during meditative exercises or something similar that Buddhists are "supposed" to stay in the present moment. Buddhists need to function in the world like everyone else, to plan ahead for things and remember things that have happened in the past. A related topic is not getting things in the past or future out of proportion, such that they cause unnecessary mental distress, and this is something that meditative practices can help with.

But Buddhists need to function in the world like everyone else. To stay only in the present moment at all times would make this impossible.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited December 2010
    So my conclusion is thinking abstractly doesn't cause dukkha.

I agree with your conclusion in the pure sense... How can you not think abstractly when being mindful about The Dharma?

But there may be a sense where being too abstract can lead to negativity. The middle path, always is there to guide us.

My question was more pragmatic, I'm trying to understand how one can always stay in the present moment without letting your mind wonder to things that cause unhappiness.

By practicing mindfulness and concentration and mediation and being only the moment.

Are Buddhists not supposed to think about the past or the future or just things irrelevant to the present moment?

There is no "supposed to" in Buddhism. There are only questions like, do these thoughts or that practice increase or reduce the positivity in the world?

I think thoughts of the past are mainly negitavising. Thoughts of the future too, though less so. Thoughts of in moment are the most positive of all, but they are also the hardest to have.

namaste
  • edited December 2010
    Is it possible for a man like this to be a Buddhist?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytxafTXg6c
    It appears the dukkha he was experiencing (and he thought at the most abstract level) was the driving force behind his brilliance. Could following the Buddha be harmful for the human race as it stunts the innate human desire for a deeper understanding of reality? And by this I don't mean realizing the transitory nature of things and accepting them as such, but trying to explain reality empirically rather than metaphysically.
  • edited December 2010
    Is it possible for a man like this to be a Buddhist?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytxafTXg6c
    It appears the dukkha he was experiencing (and he thought at the most abstract level) was the driving force behind his brilliance. Could following the Buddha be harmful for the human race as it stunts the innate human desire for a deeper understanding of reality? And by this I don't mean realizing the transitory nature of things and accepting them as such, but trying to explain reality empirically rather than metaphysically.

I couldn't watch the video because I have a slow internet connection.

There is no fundamental disagreement between Buddhism and science. In fact, HHDL has stated that if any scientific discovery disproves any of the fundamental truths of Buddhism he would have to not be a Buddhist any more. It's only when science creates things that are destructive and harmful to sentient beings that it's extremely unskillful. In Buddhism, there is nothing wrong with knowledge for the sake of knowledge as long as it does not harm sentient beings or reduce our ability to act compassionately toward sentient beings. That would include explaining reality empirically. HHDL has written the book "The Universe in a Single Atom" in which he expresses his interest and admiration for quantum physics. He has also expressed deep interest and admiration for study of the functioning of the human brain.

BTW, your question seems like it should be in a thread by itself.