Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

TV Advertisment

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited November 2005 in General Banter
Has anyone in the UK see that advertisement for Kleenex tissues? they claim to kill 99% of the bacteria that cause colds and sniffles or something....
Anyway, it depicts what I can only assume is a Monk (Buddhist, I suppose) who replaces a baby tortoise that's overturned, and puts a spider outside onto a tree.... and then grabs a tissue to blow his nose, but noticing the effect on bacteria, stops short of blowing his nose, now presumably overwhelmed by the dilemma before him....
I just thought it amusing and thought-provoking, given that for many stringent Buddhist devotees, this really is a terrible responsibility to conjur with....

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Strange, isn't it, that both Christianity and Buddhism have the stricture against killing but that the Western world sees it as a Buddhist rather than a Christian dilemma?

And, of course, we couldn't ask some "coked up" advertising executive to be able to tell the difference between Buddhism and Jainism.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a bhikku agonising over snot! And the ad doesn't appear to be on the Net yet.
  • edited November 2005
    I did have a chuckle when I saw the ad, the tag line "Thank goodness for forgiveness" was a bit odd though from a Buddhist perspective.
    Just had a search on the Johnny Interweb for the advert but I found this little article instead :

http://www.hbindependent.com/religion/story/29506p-42758c.html