Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Welcome to NewBuddhist on Vanilla!

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    @skullchin I can restore the post counts and join dates at any time, they're just hiding for now.

@Glow gave a good explanation of permalink. Just a way to link someone to a particular comment. I'm actually planning to remove that and make the comment's date the link instead.

I will look into the multiple activity problem @Kartari and @valois have reported. Thanks for bring it to my attention.

@thickpaper There is, I just don't have a link on the site to it yet. http://newbuddhist.com/discussions/feed.rss
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    @Lincoln I noticed indents are gone from the older posts too.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I've been resorting to HTML instead of those old URL bracket links. Is this what we'll need to do now? I also used the < blockquote > tag in order to quote, is this proper or is there a better way?

I screwed up a moment ago and hit quote instead of edit, I didn't notice until posted and I couldn't delete the post. That might be a nice feature, but not necessary.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    ugh. was it that I missed the edit link? it happened again when I tried to post the corrected source code as text
    @Jason What sort of indents?

@valois Yes, use HTML and < blockquote > tags from now on. BBCode no longer works. I'm going to add a simpler way of formatting text soon. I forgot users can't delete their own posts. I'll look at making that change to the software.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    I like it. Seem's to work better on the iphone too. Still no rss feed?
    All in good time. We only have one single developer (Lincoln) and this is, unfortunately, not his full time job. We'll get to all the features eventually.
    Indented paragrapghs, i.e., [ indent ]. Maybe it's the same problem as the old BBCode quote function.
    @Jason Seriously... I didn't even know you could do that in vBulletin.
  • No more sigs longer than the actual post? Me gusta.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    The only thing I don't like the mobile part is that it only shows newest threads and not the different categories.
    Haven't tried them because I never use them, but the categories are in a column on the right hand side.
    Maybe it's my phone. I am using Mobile Opera.

• It would be useful to have an option for the front page to only show threads with new posts in it.
  • @thickpaper There is, I just don't have a link on the site to it yet. http://newbuddhist.com/discussions/feed.rss

Oh great:) Thanks
    @fivebells I don't get it. How would that be more useful than simple listing all the latest comments?
  • Where did my friends go? and my saved PMs? :(
  • @Lincoln, I'd like to second what fivebells said. I can live with how it is now, don't get me wrong. However, the option of removing read threads from the front page would mean that there's no need to flip through pages. I might go through 5 threads at a time, so when I come back to the front page, it would be great if those threads didn't show up anymore. Otherwise I might have some new comments on the front page, then all the read ones and then a couple of pages down all the threads I didn't get to yet.

It's no big deal though.
    @Ermine I warned everyone a week in advance to download their private messages because I wasn't able to import them. If you really need them, let me know and I'll try to make a text file of them for you.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2010
    In B5C's first post in the Have you read the good book lately? thread, I see a long, blank white screen. I'm using Safari.

When I open it, via quote, to see its content, I see a lot of text, though. Do I need to use another browser to see the youtube link?

Also, I can't figure out how to import permalinks into a post. SCRATCH THAT.

edited December 2010
    In B5C's first post in the Have you read the good book lately? thread, I see a long, blank white screen. I'm using Safari.

When I open it, via quote, to see its content, I see a lot of text, though. Do I need to use another browser to see the youtube link?

Also, I can't figure out how to import permalinks into a post. Scratch that.

edited December 2010
    EDIT: Sorry, I'm not purposely being annoying.

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    It works fine for me in Chrome. May want to test it in another browser just to see if it is indeed Safari, that will help @lincoln figure it out.
    Hello Brian!

I think it is Safari. It works in Camino.
  • There's no "friend" function on the new format?
    Unfortunately not, dear soul!
    I really like the new yellow tags that show me which posts remain unread by me.

Good feature! Now if I can only find a way to show I've read them right!
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I honestly really liked the old layout. It seemed really easy to use. This though, well, I'm getting used to it :hiding: and I'm starting to like it a bit.

There are some pros and cons I can easily pick out. I'm still somewhat new to the site, a week or two I think, but oh well. :D
  • @Lincoln I am beginning to manage the new site. I do have some requests:
    Can we have a format toolbar for these comments and in conversations (PMs), particularly an "Add Link" button? I am not good with HTML code.

Am I missing a trick: when a thread is shown as having new posts, how do I go directly to "First Unread"?

Have I got the @xxx thing right and what, precisely is its point?

Sorry to be a slow learner.
    edited December 2010
    @Simonthepilgrim You can set your preferences to get an email whenever someone mentions you in a discussion like that. Helps people "ping" you in case your voice is requested in a discussion you weren't following. :) It's also generally a useful way of directing your comments without needing to quote.

Right now, there is a problem where using "Mark All Viewed" stops the "jump to the first unread post" feature from working. Vanilla has that jump built in, but the way Mark All Viewed works makes the jump stop working. Very dissatisfying and something I'll be looking at correcting.

I will soon be adding "Add Link", "Add Image" and bold / italic buttons. I write HTML all day and still find it immensely tedious to need to do so in my forum posts :)
  • What's the name of the font style in the subject lines?
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    In one's profile there is a Discussions section. How do you remove those items if you choose to?
  • The usability and information content of the list of my comments (i.e., what I get when I click "fivebells" then click "Activity") would be greatly enhanced by including the first line or so of each comment in the list. This is how it was on the old website, and was the way I kept track of ongoing discussions. (Suggestions for other ways to use the current site to keep track are also welcome, of course.)
    edited December 2010
    @DhammaDhattu: Welcome back, Dhamma Dhattu! :rocker:
  • Do we no longer have the option of italicizing or underlining on this new system?
    edited December 2010
    Do we no longer have the option of italicizing or underlining on this new system?
    Yes, you just have to use the HTML codes as opposed to the old BBcode, i.e., to italicize, use either < i >word< / i > or < em >word< /em > (without the spaces); to underline, use < u >word< /u > (without spaces).

Examples: italicize1, italicize2 and underline (just hit quote to see the codes).
  • Is this known to be buggy in certain browsers or something? I use firefox. Already I've found two things... When I type in this comment box, it acts like facebook does sometimes and won't show me the line I'm typing on when I've filled the box and need to go onto a new line. It does after I've typed like half the line or something, is kind of unpredictable.

Anyway that's one, the other is I posted and it shows "Crist Cristina" at the top of the post, to the left of the timestamp, instead of just "Cristina." And both are a link to my profile.

I don't know if this has been brought up already or not, but just thought I'd mention it. :)
  • Oh I see, it's my lack of avatar that does it...nevermind about that one!
    Hiya @Lincoln!
    Sir, I'm still getting notices when people comment on discussons I'm in, even though I don't have the Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions box checked under Preferences.

So, what can I do about this? It seems that things I try to erase don't stay erased. However, I'm not completely convinced of this.

Thanks for any help you can give.
  • Will there be emoticons available on the PMs in the future?
    edited December 2010
    @compassionate_warrior Emoticons should work in PMs (Conversations). Are you finding otherwise?

@Nirvana Are you saying Preferences aren't saving correctly, or just that it isn't respecting the Preferences you've set?
    edited December 2010
    So far today:
    • Fixed broken photos (avatars), yay!
    • Changed the little numbers that appears in the top navigation bar next to "Inbox" and your name to be highlighted green so they stand out more (they only appear when you have a new conversation (PM) or notification).
    • Made category to show for each discussion on the main page.
    • Added a new "Commented" button above discussion list to see only discussions you've made a comment in.
    • Added "Who's Online" (sidebar, bottom)
    Fixed old quotes! :rockon:

(Sorry about any errors or empty posts over the last hour - I was having a hell of a time getting it working)
    Fixed old quotes! :rockon:

(Sorry about any errors or empty posts over the last hour - I was having a hell of a time getting it working)
    Awesome, I just noticed that. Keep us the good work, ol' boy.
    edited December 2010
    @Lincoln: I don't rightly know for sure. What does notify mean? Getting an e-mail? Seeing it under activity or under my column?
    edited December 2010

Made category to show for each discussion on the main page.
    Thanks, Mr. @Lincoln!

• @compassionate_warrior Emoticons should work in PMs (Conversations). Are you finding otherwise?
    OK, I see that now. I think, in the beginning, the "new conversation" window didn't have the emoticon button in the corner...? But I see it now. Thanks.
    Yeah, I added that shortly after the migration on Sunday.
    edited December 2010
    Something about the :) smilie and its use in signatures seeming in-your-face...

As a signature this comes across to me as smug and it makes me think a lot less of the people who would employ it in a discussion with someone they were arguing with. Kinda in the vein of: Go to hell and have a nice day.

It's not necessary and may be misconstrued, so leave it out. That would be my thought. Every Time.

I wonder how much self-restraint people have who cannot make a post without adding a smilie or an "lol," whatever in the land of Lilliputians that means.

edited December 2010
    Is there a basic incompatibility of Vanilla with Safari?

Nearly any link to a video just shows up as blank white space. I have to go to Camino to see the video.
    Really? No, that shouldn't be at all. Safari has a first-class rendering engine. I will add that to my list.
  • How do we unbookmark conversations?