Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Welcome to NewBuddhist on Vanilla!

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Yes, I do. :) I like to check into the 'NewBuddhist.com' category to make sure I haven't missed anything in the shuffle.
  • I know my complaints seem useless but please Lincoln, a search by user and showing who started the post would be super in a nice sorta way...

*returns to hibernation*
    @Floating_Abu They are not useless. :) It's just a huge undertaking that's realistically going to take several more weeks to address.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    NomaD Buddha perhaps?
    Sounds like the guy. How do I find his posts, without searching through months worth of threads?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    currently, that would be the way.
    or PM him.
    edited January 2011
    ...Or click the 'Discussions' or 'Comments' buttons on his profile.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Lincoln, you're a champ. Sorry for nagging

Abu
    I have some scuttlebutt that 'search' is being worked on right this very moment, and that an 'advanced search' is on the front burner.
    I've spent the evening improving the 'Flag' feature so that @Jason and @Federica can once again see & discuss them (it was just me there for a while, and I'm sometimes forgetful) so expect better response and coordination when dealing with flagged posts.
    FYI: We still don't have easy bold/italics/link formatting because of some bugs in that plugin. It causes some weird interactions, especially with the emoticons. Still working on it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It's a minor gripe but the emoticon select icon overlaps the text. If you need to do anything there, like add punctuation, you can't because the emoticon button is in the way... For some reason, I usually manage to finish a sentence right....*there*...but I don't suppose it bothers anyone else....
  • I noticed that in the mobile version of the site's discussion list, the individual who started each thread is specified. It would be useful if the primary version of the list also gave this information.
  • Has anyone had trouble using the "search" function to look up old threads? I haven't been able to access threads beyond the last month or two, if that.
  • The search function on sites like this usually sucks compared to a dedicated search engine, anyway. Try searching on google with "site:newbuddhist.com"

For example.
    Yeah, search is being worked on. Still a while longer I'm afraid :)
  • Lincoln, I haven't been able to edit my posts lately, in spite of there being plenty of time left (the ticker is still ticking). Do you have a clue? Might it be because sometimes my "Who's on line" setting is set at "invisible"?
  • Could the edit time be extended? It's only 5 minutes now.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Actually it was retracted down to 5 minutes to fix the issue of people editing their posts so much that many of the replies didn't make sense. The only other option really would be disabling edit for a post as soon as any replies were made (and replies come quick sometimes), if Lincoln chose to do that.
    It's not going to rise above five minutes for the reasons Cloud gave. But maybe the Vanilla "egg-timer" doesn't 'compute >5minutes.... that is to say, Lincoln has denoted 5 minutes, but the system isn't formatted to give that time.... and picks a figure "out of the air" as a default....

(I'm making sense to me.... :crazy: )
    @compassionate_warrior I haven't lost track of this, I'm just having trouble treading water with everything on my plate at the moment.
  • Thanks. Maybe Fed is right--it has to do with the way the egg-timer works....
  • I've gotta say that overall I haven't dug the new board that much, but I'm browsing this board on my PS3 for the first time (since my laptop is kaput and the wife has the desktop tied up right now). It looks and runs pretty good here. I'm pleasantly surprised (especially considering that the PS3's browser typically sucks).
  • I don't dig it still, hey Linc, just buumping
  • @Lincoln,

I hope that your plate is less crowded. Are we any closer to editing buttons and could we have the little yellow "unread" thingy within our "Commented" page?
    @Simonthepilgrim Your hope goes unfulfilled I'm afraid. I was at work until 3am last night and back again at 9am this morning.
  • @Lincoln,

Are you thinking of expanding the information that can be given in our profiles? We've had a discussion (incoclusive as ever) about knowing ages but there used to be more available. I am particularly thinking of personal links (blog, Facebook, Twitter, website, etc.). I know, and follow, Jason's excellent Buddhist blog and it would be good to find others have the same sort of thing, as do I.

A personal statement can also be illuminating. Even if we do not have self, I am still interested in the minutiae of arisings. :lol:
  • @Simonthepilgrim Your hope goes unfulfilled I'm afraid. I was at work until 3am last night and back again at 9am this morning.

Do take care of yourself. You are precious and deserve your rest.
  • This may be an embarrassingly basic question, but I noticed when we switched to the new format, that a number of threads were listed as "bookmarked", even though I'd never bookmarked anything. (I don't know how to bookmark.) How can I "unbookmark" threads, and bookmark new ones?
  • @Simonthepilgrim Your hope goes unfulfilled I'm afraid. I was at work until 3am last night and back again at 9am this morning.
    Pretty tough hours Linc
    @compassionate_warrior The lotus flower is the bookmark button. When we moved, it turned every 'subscribed' thread you had into a bookmark. vBulletin may have been set to auto-subscribe you to threads you posted in.
  • The front page used to show the number of new comments in the most recently commented threads. This is no longer the case. Would it be easy to restore that functionality? It was super useful.
  • @Lincoln,

Would it be possible to have the "New" thingy on the "Commented" page? It would really help not having to trawl through posts already read. Thank you.
    @Simonthepilgrim I hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out. I've added it as an issue to be fixed in Vanilla.
    edited April 2011
    Categories have evolved quite a bit in the last few months. If you strongly prefer the old-school category view, try bookmarking this page instead: http://newbuddhist.com/categories/all

(It isn't as well styled as I'd like because that page is relatively new so my theme for NewBuddhist didn't plan for it)
  • @Lincoln. How do I embed a link in text now, please?
    edited May 2011
    Please look at attachment.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Thanks to @federica for showing us how; I wasn't even sure myself. I found out that we can use escape codes to show the actual source, so here's another example:
    Please visit <a href="http://www.BuddhaNet.net">BuddhaNet</a> for more information on the various Buddhist traditions!
    Which is the same as HTML you'd put in a webpage, luckily enough. In the above example the only thing that shows up to the user is the text in the middle (in this case "BuddhaNet"), which is clickable and leads to the address after the "href", surrounded by whatever other text before and after it.
  • Please look at attachment.
    Thanks, Fede. Unfortunately I don't appear to be able to open the document
    edited May 2011
    OK. Then follow this: (Phew....)

type

a left-pointing < chevron

followed immediately by the letter

a
    then insert a space

and then follow with

href="

then paste your link.

Next, close the link with

"

followed immediately by

>

Then, add whatever text you wish to put and close with

a left-pointing < chevron

a

>

edited May 2011
    Or what he said.

:crazy: :lol:

Edit:
    Oh, I see what you did there, with the <'codes'> thingy.

Thanks!!
  • It works! Thank you. Now I just have to remember it. Oy veh!
    edited May 2011
    It works!!!!

Tah-daaaah!!

Copy and paste it onto a desktop document.
    That's what I did.
  • I have added it to my doc on typing accents, etc., and to my "Paste Email Plus" app.
  • Hi

Are we able to bold or italicise

Are we able to post images

Thanks!
    edited May 2011
    This is bold
    This is italic

Click 'Attach a file' to post an image.

• Oh fantastich. Many thanks, @Lincoln.

Well wishes,
    Abu
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Could we have a permanent thread, like the B-day and Introduction threads, that provides guidelines re: how to choose a category for one's thread topic? There have been some placements lately that don't make sense to me, including some moved threads that don't seem to fit in with their new location. We might be able to save the mods some work if there were guidelines we could look up.