Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reunited after death?

2»

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Brigid wrote: »
    Knitwitch,

My sister uses that same expression, Rainbow Bridge, when talking about her pets that have died. Where does it come from?

There is a mocern and anonymous piece about the death of pets and crossing the Rainbow Bridge (which is not, I presume, that structure that crosses the Niagara River and joins courtesy to sleaziness).

My own image of a Rainbow Bridge comes from E. M. Forster's lovely little story "The Celestial Omnibus" (1911)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I thought it was from The Wizard of Oz. You know, "Somewhere, over the rainbow bridge..."

Palzang

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2008
    Klutz-rinpoché......! :D
  • edited May 2008
    Well I don't really mind where it is ............... or where I am going, I am stopping off there on my way.

Should be a sizeable old troop that takes off from Rainbow Bridge on our way to ....

• edited May 2008
    federica wrote: »

So... whenever you see any comments I make, 'framed' by my little red asterisks.... you know I'm on the case......;) :D

I love the colour of the asterix by the way. Rich. :)

I would like to believe that someday I'll meet my hero and "one true love" Alexander the Great, of course. :o

Along with perhaps a few friends I've loved and lost along the way.

Hrm.. maybe hope is a secret to happiness.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    The secret to happiness is not hope. Sorry. The secret to happiness is creating the seeds that produce happiness in the future. The way one does that is be practicing the six paramitas: generosity, moral discipline, patience, diligence, meditation and wisdom. Trungpa Rinpoche said that in order to attain true happiness you must first completely give up all attachments, all hope.

Palzang
  • edited May 2008
    Well, there's truth in that. After all, hope does bring its bitter fruits of disappointment too, especially if we have high expectations. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I think that's what he meant. Hope really is just another form of attachment.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Oh yes, hope is definitely a source of suffering. I think you put it very well, Palzang.