Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What school are you?

edited December 2005 in General Banter
what school of Buddhism do you identify with and why did you choose it?

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    After 10 years I have not "chosen" a school, and probably won't. But my first exposure was the book "The Three Pillars of Zen" by Philip Kapleau, and I still find it fascinating. I find something of value in all the schools, but I don't want to become attached to anything.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Interesting, Magwang, that was one of the very first, if not the first Buddhist books I ever read too. Of course, it was chiseled into a stone tablet when I read it...

I'm in the Palyul lineage of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism (Vajrayana). I'm in that particular lineage because that's the lineage my teacher is associated with. It's also known as the purest lineage in Tibetan Buddhism.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I too don't adhere to any specific lineage or school.... but I quantify mtyself as Buddhist because my guides are the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path and the Five precepts. If I stick with these, I believe I'm doing as I should.....

Oh, Palzang, I can't think of you as 'Pure'..... But then, I don't believe everything I think.....;):)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Old school.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Western-Skeptic-in-Search-of-Herself-School

But seriously, lol, I try to learn from everything I come across. So there's a little of this, a little of that - whatever makes most sense at the time, and that's constantly changing as I grow spiritually/philosophically. If I had to pick a major branch, though, I'm lean towards Zen.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    NirvanaNoob,

New school with a bit of that old school flavor.

;)

Jason
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I think slowly but surely americans and other westernes, such as most of us, are creating a new school of buddhism. Not sure how to define it or what to call it, but our natural skepticism and inquisitiveness leads us to walk a new path, I think :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Kindergarten.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Pass the red crayon Simon.....
  • edited November 2005
    Soto Zen, with Rinzai in my lineage, with some experience of the Theravada and Vajrayana tradition.
  • edited November 2005
    I am yet to find the differences between Theravada, zen, Vajrayana and other traditions.
    The first book I ever read was " Zen Buddhism " & I think, know the writer was a zen monk called "Shunryu Suzuki".
    " Shunryu suzuki san used to get up very early in the morning and run up & down a mountain." must of had a great view.:thumbsup:

Is there a path between all the traditions?
    edited November 2005
    The path between all traditions, and which links them all, is that of the Eightfold path.
  • edited November 2005
    The school of Shakyamuni butsu.

:)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    American Buddhism will be called McBuddhism.

And it's the lineage that's Pure, Fed, not me!

Of course Nyingma means "the old ones", so you could call it That Old-time Religion, eh?

Palzang
    edited November 2005
    The school of Shakyamuni butsu.

:)

I knew a woman in the UK who adhered to the school of "Shake your Money, Buster!"

Bless her, let's just say she followed the eightfold path of 'Wrong Everything'....!:o :lol:
  • edited November 2005
    Hi all,
    Started out Mahayana, went on to Thervada and then turned around and became Pudgalavadin (Sammitiya).....

Esau.....
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I am a reverse Buddhist.
    edited November 2005
    .....Would that be a 'tsihdduB'....?:thumbsup: :lol:
  • edited November 2005
    I am a Nichiren (Mahayana) Buddhist.

Adiana:mullet: :lol: :usflag:
  • edited November 2005
    Just trying for the 'right view' right now. Dzogchen.
    edited November 2005
    Yes, I must admit, I'm very drawn to that......

FURTHER COMMENT:

I have read the Trilogy of the "Awakening" Books by Lama Surya Das, and also his subsequent publication, "Letting Go of the person you used to be."

I know his practises have caused controversy among some, and I have seen written criticism of him by other Buddhists, in the form of heresay - that is to say that 'thus they have heard' about him....! However, I find his books educational without being dull or patronising, and he makes the topic and subject of Buddhism particularly digestible for those new to Buddhism.
    He's very likeable and extremely knowlegeable, but seems extremely open and laid back.... he can also be extremely funny - and it reminds me that "What we learn with Pleasure, we seldom forget."
  • edited December 2005
    I'm FWBO - But I think Theravada would suit me better.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited December 2005
    federica wrote:
    Pass the red crayon Simon.....
    My favorite flavor! *eats the crayon*

I'm Mahayana, but until I join a temple, I don't think I'll be able to get any more specific than that :P