Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

which symbol do I choose?

edited January 2006 in General Banter
Hi I'm new around about so better say "HELLO" :wavey: to you all.
I was wondering, if you had to choose a symbol to represent Buddhism what would you choose?. I have spent a very long time thinking that "OM" or "AUM" has you will, was the one and only symbol. But as you probably know there are a few. Om being the first I met still reminds me of buddhism, but am I wrong to think of this symbol as meaning Buddhism.?
what symbol do you think is the best?

I throw this to you all to ponder on.!

Comments

• edited November 2005
    The symbol generally acknowledged by all Buddhist traditions is the Wheel, representing the wheel of the Dharma. Om, whilst used in some Tantric and Vajrayana traditions especially, is more associated with Hinduism. This link may be of use:

http://www.khandro.net/ritual_wheel.htm
  • edited November 2005
    The Wheel (Dharmachakra) is the one that immediately springs to mind as Zenmonk_Genryu suggested.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    To me, my own avatar speaks volumes....
    Either literally, or symbolically, it speaks to me in a way I completely understand.
    :)
  • edited November 2005
    I already know that Om or" Aum" predated Buddhism and was a verbal symbol/syllable(s)
    that is found in the scriptures known as the Upanishads. I read that Rabindranath Tagore said, it is the symbolic word for the infinite, the eternal and the perfect.
    perfection being(without disire/suffering) what we are all trying to gain. May be thats why "OM" seems connected for me!

The Dalai Lama explains "In reciting this syllable we are reminded of our imperfections; at the same time we can be aware that these can be overcome, just as the Buddha overcame his".

Buddha starting the wheel rolling is quite a good one and a simple thing to remember.:type:
  • edited November 2005
    I just dug out the booklet that contains the daily scriptures and ceremonies recited at the Abbey where I attended my retreat last weekend.
    "Om" seemed to pop up quite a bit but a particularly nice useage is in the final evening ceremony.
    Right at the end the monks chant "Makura Om" 3 times before retiring for the night.
    This translates as "peace upon the pillow"
  • edited November 2005
    Frizzer wrote:
    the monks chant "Makura Om" 3 times before retiring for the night.
    This translates as "peace upon the pillow"
    well done you know what I am going to try tonight for some zzzzz.:wavey:
  • edited November 2005
    Glad to have been of assistance !
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    fest64,

Interesting question.

As Buddhism attempts to teach the laying down of all attachments and burdens, I wouldn't necessarily use anything as a symbol to represent it. To attach to a symbol to represent that which burns away all attachments is something I would personally seek to avoid. I know that it can be helpful in some ways, but in others it can become a focus of ignorance/delusion.

For example, the Christian cross. It was used to represent Jesus and his sacrifice for our sins, however, it ended up becoming the symbol of the Crusades. Sure there was more behind the Crusades than a mere symbol, but it helped to give a focal point to its beliefs, a focal point that went astray of the original message. The same holds true for the swastika and the bastardization of it by the Nazi Party in Germany. People can easily become attached to a symbol, and become intangled in the pride and views associated with it.

I do not discourage anybody's usage of symbols, I think that as long as they gain inspiration and joy from them then they are quite alright, but I myself would not assign one to Buddhism.

No criticism of anyone here, just a personal opinion.

Jason
  • edited November 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    As Buddhism attempts to teach the laying down of all attachments and burdens, I wouldn't necessarily use anything as a symbol to represent it. To attach to a symbol to represent that which burns away all attachments is something I would personally seek to avoid. I know that it can be helpful in some ways, but in others it can become a focus of ignorance/delusion, but I myself would not assign one to Buddhism.

No criticism of anyone here, just a personal opinion.

Jason
    Yes your quite right and there has been that problem in the past!.
    Only I like to doodle and scribbling buddhist/m in the middle of the pic does not quite look like fluid sketching to me and I'd rather use a Buddhisim one than have to use one from a different gender which may incure more negative feeling when :wow: glanced upon, plus a symbol is a much better way of sparking chat off at work.
    yet you have a good pitch dude!
    edited November 2005
    fest64,

Thanks.

;)

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    The symbol you have at the moment as your avatar is very beautiful... What Elohim says is absolutely right of course...it's just nice to have a picture up there... I have changed mine several times since being on this forum....others have just stuck to one.... just go with the flow and as your mood takes you, but as pointed out, it's nothing to get stuck in to or attached to....
    While I also agree that symbols like the Cross of Christ have been taken up by groups representing different things, that have tried to make these symbols representative of them, to my mind, it is extremely sad that the swastika seems to have suffered more than most.....
    One of the things that originally 'impressed' me about my partner, is that when he first came into my home, he saw a Buddhist swastika on my 'Buddha-table' - and knew immediately what it stood for in its original guise, rather than questioning its use with regard to the Nazi 'bastardisation', as Elohim so eloquently put it - !!
    It is displayed on the Heart Chakra of the Chinese Buddha in Hong Kong - apparently the biggest statue in the world....
    edited November 2005
    Buddha_lantau.jpg

If you look carefully, you'll (just!) see the correctly positioned swastika on his chest.....Sorry, it's the best one I could find... ;)
    edited November 2005
    Fede,

How true. Of course, by all means have a picture for you avatar, I certainly do! I just like to slide a little Buddhist message in there whenever I can. ;) The symbols themselves, in reality, meaning absolutely 'nothing'. It is only the aggregate of perception that places any meaning or importance to a thing. I simply want everyone to be mindful, and keep an eye out for that little gremlin named 'attachement'.

Jason
    edited November 2005
    Having said all this, an image can say much about a person.... "a picture paints a thousand words" and sometimes, we can let the images speak for us....I often see (in the UK) cars with a fish symbol on them.... this denotes that the person driving is a committed Christian - usually.... Road Rage and all the little idiosincrasies aside, sometimes it can be indicative of a person's affiliation to something, without having to go on about it.
    But the 'attachment' lesson still holds true.....;)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2005
    For me the Dharmachakra (Wheel) suits the concept of "Buddhism" due to the eight spokes (noble eightfold path) and the constant movement of the dharma (truth) by members of the global sangha (community), the rolling of the wheel shows movement/growth-the spreading of the dharma-if you like.

Some people feel greater connectedness (not to be confused with want or craving) to things that allow them to focus-like myself. So for me, I feel the wheel of dharma is the symbol that helps.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Although I am surrounded by all sorts of ikons, images, thangkas and other similar goodies, there are two images that I love.

The first is the Kalichakra Mandala which I use as my avatar. The second is a simple, bare footprint, which was one of the symbols used for the Tathagata before human representations. I have used it for many years as an object of meditation.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I would say a mirror would be the perfect symbol.

Palzang
    edited November 2005
    I visited a Shiatsu tutor in the UK for a weekend seminar, and part of it, we practised in the garden (summer English sky - bliss!) She had a corner of the garden laid out for her meditation practise, or just as a corner where she would go and sit. On a breezeblock wall, was a beautiful statue, in relief.... it sort of came out of the wall..... a seated Buddha - very stylised, very modern, and a mirror where the face would be.... beautifully, seamlessly incorporated, but if you looked from the correct angle, the face of the Buddha looking back at you, was yours......
    I found this so profoundly moving, I turned it into a meditative visualisation for my qi Gong pupils. It has never failed to continue to be moving for them, too.
  • edited January 2006
    federica wrote:
    a beautiful statue, in relief.... it sort of came out of the wall..... a seated Buddha - very stylised, very modern, and a mirror where the face would be.... beautifully, seamlessly incorporated, but if you looked from the correct angle, the face of the Buddha looking back at you, was yours......
    I found this so profoundly moving, I turned it into a meditative visualisation for my qi Gong pupils. It has never failed to continue to be moving for them, too.
    Sound like a nice statue.... ..since I was very little I have used the mirror has a meditative aid :scratch:
    I believe its got something to do with you d'not see yourself as a fret, so therefore your carmness
    is greater and hence able to think clearly.