Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Suicidal Thoughts

Argon.AidArgon.Aid Veteran
edited November 2005 in General Banter
Why do people contemplate Death when they have everything while those who lost everything fight furiously for their Lifes?

Basically,What I am asking here is why some people,those that I see around me,in school,often feel like killing themselves.I mean its like you get your test back,you see a low mark,"Dam,I wish i was dead".Sometimes,they have small problems and they turn to death as a solution.

Where did this delusion that Death will bring solution came about?Is it a revered mentality or something that should be stopped?I have to admit,everyone have this flaw.Even my self find myself thinking about death just so to escape.

Don't this people realise that out there far more worse stuff are happening.Out there,people who have ERy little chances of recovery for their illness all fight furoisly for their live.Those who are critical are willing to give anything to be well.And yet some of us do not really feel gratitude.

Anyway,sorry if this post seem too extreme.Just stating my opinions,something I kept insed me for long.

Comments?

-Ar.Aid

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I give thanks that you have never yet been in so painful a situation that death appears to be the only way out, Argon.

This is not meant as any sort of criticism of your questions: they are important. They raise the point that getting alongside people with suicidal thoughts and/or intentions is very hard for anyone who has not been there themselves.

"Counting your blessings" or considering how much worse other people's lives may be can, in some circumstance, be useful but should be used with great care. The approach can also exacerbate the feelings of hopelessness, unworthiness and helplessness that accompany or precede suicidal thoughts.

In addition, we have to notice that certain medication, particularly those for depression and anxiety, can provoke such thoughts.
  • edited November 2005
    Argon.Aid wrote:
    Why do people contemplate Death when they have everything while those who lost everything fight furiously for their Lifes?

Basically,What I am asking here is why some people,those that I see around me,in school,often feel like killing themselves.I mean its like you get your test back,you see a low mark,"Dam,I wish i was dead".Sometimes,they have small problems and they turn to death as a solution.

Where did this delusion that Death will bring solution came about?Is it a revered mentality or something that should be stopped?I have to admit,everyone have this flaw.Even my self find myself thinking about death just so to escape.

Don't this people realise that out there far more worse stuff are happening.Out there,people who have ERy little chances of recovery for their illness all fight furoisly for their live.Those who are critical are willing to give anything to be well.And yet some of us do not really feel gratitude.

Anyway,sorry if this post seem too extreme.Just stating my opinions,something I kept insed me for long.

Comments?

-Ar.Aid

Well,

I cannot speak for others but I wish I did not have to have thoughts of suicide at times. I have been diagnosed with manic-depression and I take medication for it. I have no control over these thoughts. In other words, I suffer from a mental illness that I have to take medication for and engage in therapy sessions with my psychiatrist and in group therapy sessions with others like me that suffer from manic-depression. Once again, I have NO CONTROL over these thoughts. I do not know why I have them; I just do from time to time when in the grips of a depressive episode. I feel so sad at times that I cannot bear dealing with the sadness so I contemplate suicide to escape the thoughts of sadness and despair. I feel as though I have fallen into a "black hole" that I can never get out of. I feel as though I am the most worthless person on the face of the earth. On the other hand, when I am in a manic phase, I feel as though I could conquer the world and I will at times do things that could be detrimental to my health and well-being. For instance, I am by nature a rather quiet person but when I am in a manic phase, I can get quite talkative and start talking so fast that it is hard to understand what I am talking about. I also once, while in the grips of a manic episode, went on a drug and alcohol binge so bad that I wound up in the hospital and nearly died because I overdosed. These are characteristics that are not normal for me to even contemplate when I am not considered to be in either a manic or depressive episode. Your question is very valid and I see your point in asking it, so please don't think that I am being defensive because I am not. I just simply have no control over my thoughts at times but with taking the proper combination of medicines and attending therapy sessions with my P-doc as well as with others who suffer from manic-depression, I know that I can lead a relatively normal life like those who do not suffer from manic-depression. I just take it a day at a time. Take care! Also, Happy Thanksgiving Day to you and your family.

Adiana:type:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    People who are truly contemplating death do NOT feel as if they have "everything" - that is the exact problem. No matter how much it may appear to outsiders that they have everything - the person who is suicidal feels that they have NOTHING.
  • edited November 2005
    Brian wrote:
    People who are truly contemplating death do NOT feel as if they have "everything" - that is the exact problem. No matter how much it may appear to outsiders that they have everything - the person who is suicidal feels that they have NOTHING.

Brian,

You just hit the nail on the proverbial head so to speak!:thumbsup:

Adiana:usflag:
  • edited November 2005
    Yeah its just like Brian said people who contemplate suicide may appear that they heave everything but infact on the inside they feel that they have and that they are nothing. For example My family is a pretty good middle class family, whith a decent sized place to live and a good foudation of morals and also they love me enough to pay money to send me to private school, and yet alot of the times I feel like I have nothing.
  • edited November 2005
    Death is often comforting to those who suffer because they think that once they take there life they can escape the pain and suffering of this world.
  • edited November 2005
    Argon.Aid wrote:

Comments?

-Ar.Aid

Usually because having things or not doesn't make you happy or unhappy by itself, and also because of clinical depression, which has very little to do with outward circumstances but can be triggered by them and affect them. Otherwise - see Brian's post for a cogent summation.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    "Why do people contemplate Death when they have everything while those who lost everything fight furiously for their Lifes?"

Argon.Aid,

All I can say is, I hope that you never have to find out.

I offer a short chant to all those who are in intense mental or physical suffering:

"Sabbe satta abyapajja hontu."
    "May all beings be free from mental suffering."

"Sabbe satta anigha hontu."
    "May all beings be free from physical suffering."

"Sabbe sattaa sukhi hontu."
    "May all beings be well happy."

With Metta,

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    May I also add, from personal experience, that there is nothing quite so embarassing as waking up in hospital after failing!
  • Argon.AidArgon.Aid Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I see.

But aside from seeing other peoplse life and putting ourselves in their shoes,What other ways can be taken?

Furthermore,what I am talking about now is not those who is really under intense sadness or mental condition.I am talking about some peopl who to them having a minor set back is the end of the world.Like for example,correct me if I am worng,but there are cases of teenagers slashing their own hands just because their parents don't listen to them.

I am not degrading this behaviour,please do not have this thought.Furthermore,I have been in the stuation before.One leg was at the window,ready to jump.And its like fortunately my far of heights took over me,and I step down.yet when I think back,Why did I even consider having that thought in the first place?

"No Offense intended and I hope none is taken"
    -Ar.Aid
  • edited November 2005
    Argon.Aid wrote:
    I see.

But aside from seeing other peoplse life and putting ourselves in their shoes,What other ways can be taken?

Furthermore,what I am talking about now is not those who is really under intense sadness or mental condition.I am talking about some peopl who to them having a minor set back is the end of the world.Like for example,correct me if I am worng,but there are cases of teenagers slashing their own hands just because their parents don't listen to them.

I am not degrading this behaviour,please do not have this thought.Furthermore,I have been in the stuation before.One leg was at the window,ready to jump.And its like fortunately my far of heights took over me,and I step down.yet when I think back,Why did I even consider having that thought in the first place?

-Ar.Aid

It's helpful to remember that it really isn't about the outward circumstances. People desperate enough to take, or contemplate taking their own lives, are not simply doing it for attention, nor are they just over reacting. To be in such a place is to be isolated, fearful, without any real conception of anything postive to come, and to be unable to decide anymore with certainty or to see clearly what is or is not appropriate, and what is or is not major or minor.

In a way, that in itself is a promising state - the dark night of the soul is, for good reason, seen as an essential part of the transformative process that takes place in any real spiritual practice. At the same time, at least with clinical depression, it is a largely (though not wholly) organic, physical illness, with practical options available that are effective. One of the most effective treatment options being a combination of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, appropriate medication and mindfulness meditation, in combination with exercise and good diet. That's also why Buddhist practice is so applicable. However Buddhism is not therapy and we can only really understand this sort of condition through personal experience. In fact, without having reached a similar point, it's not really possible to practice.
  • catweaselcatweasel Explorer
    edited November 2005
    Argon.Aid wrote:
    I see.

-Ar.Aid

All that it takes is to live as most of the planet does , at least a little while. That would mean with nothing. Since most of the planet does live from hand to mouth. The simple way to create less karma is to always NEED LESS not more...
  • edited November 2005
    Argon.Aid wrote:

Quiet a while ago a good friend of mine used to slash his arms.
    He also had a very loving family, material possessions etc. However, inside he was very very insecure, he was adopted and this was a big part of it. The pain caused by slashing was a form of release for him and in my opinion was also a cry for help and attention.

Fortunately he doesn't feel the need to do this anymore but without the support of friends it could easily have spiralled out of control.