Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do Taosits believe in Heaven or hell?

I know they believe that theres a force simmilar to "God" called the Tao but I dont really know what elese they believe in.

Comments

• edited November 2005
    You might want to ask that in a Taoist forum but briefly, yes they do.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Taoism in its core believes in an eternal lifeforce that is like a beginningless God, only that it's impersonal and its a "lifeforce".

Somehow or other down Lao-Tzu's teachings people started to place the worship of gods into Taoism... I don't know how though, and they also deitified the Buddha... That was about how I was brought up in name Buddhist but in fact Taoist but changed Buddhist... In short, Taoism sort of changed alot from its original teachings...
  • edited August 2006
    Tao is heaven and hell, good and evil, god and not-god...
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2006
    Tao is heaven and hell, good and evil, god and not-god...

..............and none of the above.
  • edited August 2006
    Sure. But if only the unspoken Tao is Tao, then there is no Tao, because we do now speak about Tao. The unspeakable Tao cannot be an object of predication. I think Lao-Tzu should have opened his TTC in this way

Tao is not Tao...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2006
    The Tao that is Tao cannot be spoken of....The Tao that is spoken of is not the Tao....

Put that in your Te Ching and smoke it.....!! :D;)
  • edited August 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    In short, Taoism sort of changed alot from its original teachings...

Yep.. I agree with ajani here... Taoism here has combined its influence with Mahayana Buddhism... In fact, many Taoist called themselves as "Buddhist"...