Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do buddhist believe in supernatural powers?

edited February 2011 in General Banter
hi

Comments

• err maybe i should be specific?
  • what supernatural powers do buddhist believe in
  • a buddha cant be hurt, can't be killed, cannot die. A buddha can crush a mountain
    with a single swipe of his hand... he can start a 3000 year old religion with a word from his mouth..he has unnatural strength and endurance..his brain can probably register things at a faster rate than we can, making him seem supernaturally fast..
  • of course u have to be a little smart to know what im takling about
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Depends...
  • he can be one person or all people, one thing and all things
  • I am supernatural already, and i'm not fully mature yet
  • what do you mean by depends
  • edited February 2011
    IMO? Yes, Supernatural powers exist for Buddhists (though Buddhism itself is only about eliminating suffering). However it would be arrogant (not humble) to claim or profess to understand and know such supernatural powers. IOW, we are humans and, until we reach enlightenment, what we know is strictly confined to the human realm. I could be wrong. :dunce:
  • Bill, check out the Buddhism and magic thread, under general banter. It might still be active. Fabulous thread. It'll answer all your questions. Personally, I believe that much of what is now considered "supernatural" is actually quite natural, and will be explained by science sooner or later. But take for example, the Tibetan State Oracle. 'Nuff said, right? Even the Dalai Lama, not to mention all his followers, believe in that.
  • i wouldn't trust an old thread :D since i wasn't posting in it.. :D
  • do buddhist believe in leviatation
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited February 2011
    What is natural?

It only seems to be supernatural because of our point of view. We, as human beings, are limited in our abilities to comprehend and do things so we put labels like magic and supernatural on such things that are outside of our current level of understanding.

To answer your question directly - no.

To elaborate a bit more - the only issue is ignorance. Most of us have not yet reached the full human potential and when we do, we will find all of these things to be 'natural'.

I believe levitation is possible and when we all realize it, we can put a stop to the need to fly around in big, heavy energy consuming aircraft. That is, if we still feel the need to be somewhere else.
  • by leviation I mean humans leviating there body so i am not sure of your answer yes or no
    what do you mean by depends
    Depends on the individual and the practice and so on.
  • what practices don't believe in leviation
  • do buddhist believe in leviatation
    This one doesn't. I'd have to see it (or experience it) to believe it.

• I'm not very advanced in buddhism but I think there are different schools of buddhism do all the major schools believe in it.
  • edited February 2011
    In levitation? I don't think any do. Maybe some have mythology about the BUddha performing miracles along those lines, but in terms of contemporary practitioners being able to do it, I don't think any of the schools believe in it. Let's see what people say...
  • So-called supernatural powers (siddhis) are a by-product of meditation. (Though not levitation, that I know of.) So it's not so much about believing, as knowing, experiencing. But it depends on which supernatural powers you have in mind, too.
  • i looked it up here is the link http://www.answers.com/topic/siddhi. I don't know how truthful this is. It clearly says flying in the sky. Do all buddhists believe in this
  • “Do Buddhists believe …?”

The correct answer probably is that some do, many wonder, and some don’t.
    Buddhists are a lot of different people.

This Buddhist is skeptical and demands proof.

All Buddhists would probably agree that “supernatural powers” – if they are possible and if they are attained through deep concentration - are merely a by-product; not the goal.

Funny I just found this:
  • @LeonBasin, Yeah they just had a thread on that called "Yogic Flying" or something. Might be a couple of pages in.
  • i looked it up here is the link http://www.answers.com/topic/siddhi. I don't know how truthful this is. It clearly says flying in the sky. Do all buddhists believe in this
    Are we talking about physically flying in the air, or astral projection? I believe in the latter, not in the former.

Funny I just found this:
    Oh!
    Sorry...
  • the Samañaphala Sutra has a reference for flying… but not for levitation, he.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    bill, in answer to your question. No.
    Buddhists do not 'believe' anything.

There are some traditions which regard such matters as part of spiritual progress, which may be interpreted as a physical phenomenon, or a psychological one. That's up to them.
    Not all traditions ascribe to such matters, and some even dismiss them as imaginary and irrelevant.
    In any case they are not a destination, they are an occurrence along the way. they are not to be clung to, and are merely part of the parcel, not the whole package.
    I personally do not consider such matters important, and pay no attention to them, although if others do, I respect their right to do so, and will not argue against them.
    Buddhists are encourage to test and validate all things for themselves, and to examine and scrutinise whatever presents itself.
    Not my bag, my scene or my concern.

Hope that answers your question.
  • edited February 2011
    I can't do anything crazy like walk on water, but I can do very interesting things with my mind. As far as being able to read people and master the situations I'm in through inaction and helping people. I've always had some of these abilities, but they're so intensified now and like idk it's really cool but it doesn't matter cuz it's not even like something supernatural it's just accepting the situation and myself, ego included.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Yes, sort of. I don't believe in SuperNatural as there is no such thing as Natural. I believe in experiences that exceed our current understanding of nature. A better classification for Buddhists is mundane and supramundane, but they are judged on the level of understanding and not the level of super-ness. Supra-mundane compassion and supra-mundane generosity, they are things to aim for and are achievable on the path.

I think it is probably normal for Yogins and Yoginis to experience things which stretch our limited laws of coincidence. In the Kagyu (or Whispered) Tradition we are taught to treat these things as neither good nor bad, to let them pass, and keep our eyes and minds on the goal or focus. If these experiences are significant then they'll continue, if not they'll pass. Treat them like rain, or hot or cold weather, summer or winter, or life and death. They are still part of the mundane as they still involve dualities.

Best Regards,
    WK

=========================
    It will be good if I live to wake tomorrow morning,
    I've practise when I can,
    So if death finds me tonight,
    So be it,
    We know not when it comes,
    Practise, practise, practise,
  • do all buddhist believe in nirvana and what traditions don't believe in flying I realize you shouldn't get caught up in supernatural powers i am just trying to learn about buddhism
  • edited February 2011
    The earth is roughly 4.6 billion years old, as far as scientists can figure out. That is a truly mind boggling amount of time. Via 4.6 billion years of evolution nature has worked out flying, and the fact that you need 'wings' of some kind (and many types have evolved, from lizards to fish to birds to parachuting spiders). If there was another method, it is highly probable that we would see evidence of it, such as youtube videos of flying humans or monkeys. :) Humans are just another species of evolved animal, nothing special.

Nirvana is a common buddhist belief.
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/abuddhistglossary/g/nirvanadef.htm

What I think is interesting about the information found at this link is this:

"In the culture in which the historical Buddha lived and taught, it was understood that fire "burns" and becomes visible when it is attached to fuel, and it stops burning and becomes invisible when it is "released" from fuel. The fire, it was thought, was not annihilated but transformed. "

It really illustrates just how fallible ancient ideas were/are (all ideas actually). Question everything, blind faith leads to error and ignorance. This includes Buddhism.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    do all buddhist believe in nirvana and what traditions don't believe in flying I realize you shouldn't get caught up in supernatural powers i am just trying to learn about buddhism
    Nirvana/nibbana is not a place, it's a state or condition of being.

I don't think any traditions actually believe in physical flying - that is, actually physically levitating, flapping your arms a bit and saving the air fare to Florida.
    nope.

• I don't think any traditions actually believe in physical flying - that is, actually physically levitating, flapping your arms a bit and saving the air fare to Florida.
    nope.

Rather like this? :clap: Lol!

• so what supernaturals powers do different traditions believe in
    edited February 2011
    Who cares?
    Why do you even want to know?

The whole point is, are they conducive to your practice? That is, does knowing about them actually do anything to help you understand the 4 Noble Truths, study the Eightfold Path and observe the wisdom of the 5 precepts?

If Yes, in what way?

The Buddha stated quite clearly:
    "I come to teach about the origin of suffering and the cessation of suffering."

Supernatural powers have nothing to do with that, and nor do they advance your progress.
    They may even prove to be a big, fat, flapping hindrance.

Drop it, leave them and study a bit first.
  • so do buddhist believe in superpowers, if so what? is it really that big of a deal if I ask the question

• Some do. Some don't. I personally don't, but I'm not a buddhist.
    i looked it up here is the link http://www.answers.com/topic/siddhi. I don't know how truthful this is. It clearly says flying in the sky. Do all buddhists believe in this
    You have already answered your second question.

so do buddhist believe in superpowers, if so what? is it really that big of a deal if I ask the question

The question is, why are you asking it?
    Of what beneficial use is it to you, to have an answer?

• People in general believe in supernatural powers, or want them to be true. It's a desire for themselves. In Buddhism, this is a hindrance. The path to enlightenment is one of letting go of "self" and self-centered desires. If there are supernatural powers that come with enlightenment, those who want them will never reach enlightenment in the first place. Best to forget about them and concentrate on your practice. They're one desire best dropped right away.
  • I'm gonna become a Buddhist so I can fly! YEAH!
    or fall with style.....
  • or fall with style.....
    We hardly ever fly.

More Buddhists read other people’s minds, remember past (dramatic) lives and predict who’s going to be on the phone.

Part of the explanation could be that a failed attempt to fly is hard to ignore.

The other stuff is much more open to cognitive bias.
    (That is ignoring failure and blowing up apparent success, or simply have a notion and count that as a success without checking it at all.)

• The earth is roughly 4.6 billion years old, as far as scientists can figure out. That is a truly mind boggling amount of time. Via 4.6 billion years of evolution nature has worked out flying, and the fact that you need 'wings' of some kind (and many types have evolved, from lizards to fish to birds to parachuting spiders). If there was another method, it is highly probable that we would see evidence of it, such as youtube videos of flying humans or monkeys. :) Humans are just another species of evolved animal, nothing special.

Nirvana is a common buddhist belief.
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/abuddhistglossary/g/nirvanadef.htm

What I think is interesting about the information found at this link is this:

"In the culture in which the historical Buddha lived and taught, it was understood that fire "burns" and becomes visible when it is attached to fuel, and it stops burning and becomes invisible when it is "released" from fuel. The fire, it was thought, was not annihilated but transformed. "

It really illustrates just how fallible ancient ideas were/are (all ideas actually). Question everything, blind faith leads to error and ignorance. This includes Buddhism.

so... fire meant energy.
  • ...if you are going to try flying; do it from the ground (cross-legged apparently) not by jumping from some height.

"war on drugs" by bill hicks makes reference to this.
  • so... fire meant energy.
    No. They believed the flame always existed, but the presence of fuel enabled it to become visible. Whereas we know now that the flame is caused by light emitted by excited electrons in the combustion process.

An analogy to their belief would be that a torch beam is always present, but invisible while the torch is off.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    so do buddhist believe in superpowers, if so what? is it really that big of a deal if I ask the question

It's not a big deal, or shouldn't be, bill. I'm sorry your threads tend to get treated dismissively, on the rare occasion you do post an OP. As someone said earlier, it's not so much a question of belief as it is experiencing. But the Tibetan gov't has always relied on a State Oracle (clairvoyant), for example. Spells and magic filtered into Tibetan Buddhist tradition from medieval India, according to scholars, and likely from Inner Asian shamanism, as well. And I recall one of our members, Vincenzi, quoted Pali scripture that says supernatural powers come at a certain stage of practice. As for the question, of what practical use are these? Are you kidding? Clairvoyance is of tremendous praactical use to people, as is communication with the deceased (very comforting to the bereaved). Just a few examples.

And BTW, prayer has been demonstrated to work, in studies by Larry Dossey, MD, and others. Prayers are a type of spell. Therefore, spells work. We don't know exactly how they work, but Dossey has a couple of books out on the subject of the healing effects of prayer.
  • edited February 2011
    I think real supernatural abilities are probably possible. But I haven't experienced flying or anything, so I can't say for sure. So I won't worry about it. If it happens, cool! If not, that's alright too.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    oops.(delete)