Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Superiority of the Lotus Sutra

2»

Comments

• The Buddha never spoke a single word. The teachings are the reflection of the moon in the water; all the teachings, the reflections, are slightly different... but in them the way to the truth can be found. The teachings of this sect of Buddhism are just as valid as every other school/tradition. If they claim to be superior and discredit the others, they discredit themselves.

With that, I leave this thread to those who cling to the raft.

Namaste
  • I honestly do have an interest in reading the lotus sutra after finishing the lankavatara. Without quoting the sutra itself, can you explain to me how your study of it has improved your practice? Like through personal analogy?
    Everything changed for me after reading the Lotus, even just reading it is a wonderful practice. Though I used to sit and meditate, the practice always felt somewhat empty. Yes, it used to make me feel calm and relaxed, but still lacking something. I feel the Lotus completed my practice, like reading the last page of a book.
    I can honestly say that no prayer I have made has gone unanswered.

• Everything I have quoted I have backed up with Sutra passages.
    Your argument is circular: You are using the conclusion you wish the establish (that the Lotus Sutra is superior) as its own supporting evidence (the Lotus Sutra says so).

Can you argue for the superiority of the LS while pointing to evidence outside of the LS?

By the way, according to The Daisy Sutra, all other sutras are inferior. How do I know this? Because the Daisy Sutra said so.

• I can honestly say that no prayer I have made has gone unanswered.
    wat? :-/
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I myself have been thinking lately to not talk about the Buddha's words so much, keeping my opinions to myself.

I would just like to read the sutra, as the OP has certainly sparked interest and I admire his faith. So I went through, skimming a few pages from a website. It seemed like many stories.

Chogetsu, which parts would you recommend reading to get an idea of what it is all about, the substance of the sutra? Of course you'd prefer it if I just read the whole thing, and I'll probably do that in the future.

Also, "in these more than forty years [since I began teaching], I have not yet revealed the truth."

Surely you can understand that I have the question:

Is this saying that the Buddha's 4 noble truths, etc. are not ABSOLUTE truths? Implying He likely did not teach them that way?

Can you answer and comment?

Thank you!
  • Be wary of those who do not quote from the Buddha's teachings. They simple cling to preconcieved ideas, of what they've been told by someone else.

They are unable to open their hearts to the truth because it does not agree with the rigid ideas they already have, so instead they reject it. Not only that but they encourage others to do the same, leading them away from Buddhahood.

The Nirvana Sutra states:

"In the Latter Day of the Law those who abide by the correct teaching will be as few as the specks of dirt that can be placed on a fingernail, while those who slander the correct teaching will be as numerous as the specks of dirt in all the lands of the ten directions.”
  • "what they've been told by someone else."
    The lotus sutra has been told to you by someone else.

And why are you now quoting the Nirvana Sutra? I thought you said that only the Lotus Sutra discloses the truth.

• Is this saying that the Buddha's 4 noble truths, etc. are not ABSOLUTE truths? Implying He likely did not teach them that way?
    I know you didn't address this to me, but for my 2 cents...

there are no absolute truths. But we want to think there is an absolute truth, so we search it out. And that's important for us, so it doesn't matter if there's an absolute truth which we could find.

• Is this the way all Nichiren buddhists feel?

• Is this saying that the Buddha's 4 noble truths, etc. are not ABSOLUTE truths? Implying He likely did not teach them that way?

there are no absolute truths. But we want to think there is an absolute truth, so we search it out. And that's important for us, so it doesn't matter if there's an absolute truth which we could find.

I'm not a nichiren buddhist. I don't fully associate myself with anything.
  • I myself have been thinking lately to not talk about the Buddha's words so much, keeping my opinions to myself.

I would just like to read the sutra, as the OP has certainly sparked interest and I admire his faith. So I went through, skimming a few pages from a website. It seemed like many stories.

Chogetsu, which parts would you recommend reading to get an idea of what it is all about, the substance of the sutra? Of course you'd prefer it if I just read the whole thing, and I'll probably do that in the future.

Also, "in these more than forty years [since I began teaching], I have not yet revealed the truth."

Surely you can understand that I have the question:

Is this saying that the Buddha's 4 noble truths, etc. are not ABSOLUTE truths? Implying He likely did not teach them that way?

Can you answer and comment?

Thank you!
    I'm happy that my posts have led someone to read the Lotus Sutra. According to T'ien-T'ai, Dengyo and Nichiren, the first half (14 chapters) make up the 'theoretical teaching', and the latter half makes up the essential. I think the reason for this is because in the first half, people still believed Shakyamuni attained Buddhahood for the first time in his present lifetime, whereas in Ch 16, he revealed he attained it countless lifetimes earlier.

Nichiren emphasised Ch 2 and Ch 16, they should give you an overview.

As for the Four Noble truths, I believe they served when the Buddha taught the Three Vehicles, of Voice Hearer, Cause Awakened Ones, and Bodhisattvas. They were used for people who wanted to 'use' the Voice Hearer Vehicle. The Lotus revealed that there are not Three Vehicles, there is only one. So that does not mean they are not true, but rather, only part of the truth.

• edited February 2011
    "what they've been told by someone else."
    The lotus sutra has been told to you by someone else.

And why are you now quoting the Nirvana Sutra? I thought you said that only the Lotus Sutra discloses the truth.
    The Nirvana Sutra 'expands' on the Lotus. I would say it ranks second place. Although, the Buddha passing into extinction is an expediant.

The Lotus Sutra is the Buddha's golden words, it is not someones own theories.

Still unable to quote from a Sutra?

The buddha's not separate from me. It doesn't matter what he said. That was 2,500 years ago. You can't talk with that man. If you think he's the buddha, then the buddha's dead and he can't help you. But the buddha is not just that man, the buddha is here. We're all the buddha. We've created our own imprisonment and restrictions and the like, but really we're the same thing as the buddha. If you choose to believe in delusion, it is when the delusion ceases that the buddha arises.
  • Still quoting your own opinions I see.
  • "In addition, if after the Thus Come One has passed into extinction
    there should be someone who listens to the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law, even one verse or one phrase, and for a moment thinks of it with joy, I will likewise bestow on him a prophesy that he will attain anuttara-samyak-sambodhi."

- Lotus Sutra Ch 10
  • edited February 2011
    I could quote you the diamond sutra if you would like. Or is the lotus sutra superior to that as well?
  • edited February 2011
    The Lotus itself say's it is. It [the Diamond Sutra] belongs to the category of Provisional Mahayana.
  • edited February 2011
    Please quote me where it says the diamond sutra specifically was a provisional teaching. can ya do it?? lol. but i know, you're gonna quote where it says that all others are provisional. Well guess what, the diamond sutra says the same thing. So boom I win. U IZ DUM DAWG
  • If the Buddha had said at the time that he was merely teaching provisional doctrines, there would have been no use preaching them.
    The listeners would have demanded the truth, as happened in the Lotus Sutra.
  • I can't hear you bro.

Why does he need to quote a sutra?
  • Shariputra: "Dharma King, none more highly honored,
    speak, we beg you, without reserve!
    In this assembly of numberless beings
    are those capable of reverent belief."

Shakyamuni: "Stop, stop, no need to speak!
    My Law is wonderful and difficult to ponder.
    Those who are overbearingly arrogant
    when they hear it will never show reverent belief."

[After Shariputra asked three times, the Buddha said:]

"Three times you have stated your earnest request. How can I do other than preach? Now you must listen attentively and carefully ponder. For your sake I will now analyze and explain the matter."

When he had spoken these words, there were some five thousand monks, nuns, laymen and laywomen in the assembly who immediately rose from their seats, bowed to the Buddha, and withdrew. What was the reason for this? These persons had roots of guilt that were deep and manifold, and in addition they were overbearingly arrogant. What they had not attained they supposed they had attained, what they had not understood they supposed they had understood. And because they had this failing, they did not remain where they were.

Ch 2 Lotus Sutra

Why does he need to quote a sutra?
    Everything should be backed up by sutras. If not sutras then commentaries by sages, otherwise it should be stated that it is a personal opinion/belief.
  • duz dee truth exist in da past bro?
  • I didn't know proseletysing and blatant sectarianism were allowed on this site. Jason, why haven't you shut down this thread yet? I can't believe this! :shake:
  • "It [the Lotus Sutra] will face much hostility in the world and be difficult to believe."

- Lotus Sutra Ch 14

The Buddha's words couldn't be more true.
  • My question is - If Buku was banned yesterday why is he still posting tonite?
  • I didn't know proseletysing and blatant sectarianism were allowed on this site. Jason, why haven't you shut down this thread yet? I can't believe this! :shake:
    Why would he censure the Buddha's own words?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I didn't know proseletysing and blatant sectarianism were allowed on this site. Jason, why haven't you shut down this thread yet? I can't believe this! :shake:
    Shut down on what grounds? What Chogetsu is presenting is classic Nichiren Buddhism, and as far as I can see, isn't being verbally abusive to anyone. That's not really grounds for censorship, in my opinion. If you don't agree with the assertion that the Lotus Sutra is the highest teaching of the Buddha, superseding all others, you're free to (1) make a counter argument or (2) simply ignore the thread like I do.
  • If you don't agree with the assertion that the Lotus Sutra is the highest teaching of the Buddha, superseding all others, you're free to (1) make a counter argument or (2) simply ignore the thread like I do.
    I agree, and I think others on this thread need to follow this advice. Making sarcastic remarks, pointless shouting and arguing isn't helping anyone.
    Shut down on what grounds? What Chogetsu is presenting is classic Nichiren Buddhism, and as far as I can see, isn't being verbally abusive to anyone. That's not really grounds for censorship, in my opinion. If you don't agree with the assertion that the Lotus Sutra is the highest teaching of the Buddha, superseding all others, you're free to (1) make a counter argument or (2) simply ignore the thread like I do.
    A very decent admin.

Namu-myoho-renge-kyo
    A very decent admin.

Namu-myoho-renge-kyo
    He's very reasonable.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    At least someone is.
  • how does the Lotus connect to the 4 Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, the 5/10 Precepts, the 37 Bodhisattva Vows, the Samaya Vows, the Vinaya?
  • They suited when the Buddha taught the Law as Three Vehicles, preaching that thee are different ways to attain Buddhahood. The Lotus revealed that there is only the One Vehicle.
    In many of the Provisional Mahayana Sutras, it is believed and taught that people of the Two Vehicles cannot attain Annutara-Samyak-Sambodhi. In the Lotus, Shakyamuni predicts that these people too will become Buddha's through the Lotus Sutra. Even Devadatta is given a prophecy that he will become a Buddha.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Proselytizing for your particular sect does not a discussion make.
  • Prosthelytizing for your particular sect does not a discussion make.
    I'm simply propagating the Buddha's words. Sects are irrelevant.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, you're not.
    They are not the Buddha's words, or at least, not everybody believes they are.
    So don't propagate them as such.
  • No, you're not.
    They are not the Buddha's words, or at least, not everybody believes they are.
    So don't propagate them as such.
    The people in the assembly even questioned "is this not a devil teaching now"?

It is a very difficult sutra to accept, just as people may not like the taste of medicine. Yet only the medicine [Lotus Sutra] can save them.
    :whatever: :rolleyes:
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    [Closed by me]
This discussion has been closed.