Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Explain what Buddhism has to say about materialism

edited February 2011 in Buddhism Today
I am a materialist in a sense. I think all conscious states are caused by physical activity in the brain. I think there is no life after death or reincarnation.

To someone like me, neglecting the possibility for a change in my beliefs, particularly that all conscious activity can be described by physical brain activity, what truth can Buddhism still purport? Can enlightenment be explained in terms of brain activity?

This is the central question. Can enlightenment be explained in terms of brain activity?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Brain and Mind are two different things, you understand.
    Enlightenment means using meditation (exercise) to change the thought patterns in the brain. You exercise your brain in a different way, to activate specific thought patterns and eliminate others.
    But in a Mind-speak sense, you merely 'change your mind' and move away from the negative.

This is all purely speculative on my part, and I know nothing of the technical mechanics required.
    But the Dalai Lama has made a study of this....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    By the way, your title is misleading.
    You ask what we consider Buddhism says about materialism, but then in your first post you completely change tack, and instead seek the answer to "Can enlightenment be explained in terms of brain activity?"

Which is it to be, exactly....?
  • I am a materialist in a sense. I think all conscious states are caused by physical activity in the brain. I think there is no life after death or reincarnation.
    Then there is no role for Buddhism in your life. If there is only one lifetime and cessation occurs at the end of this lifetime, there is no point for seeking the end of suffering.

Now, having stated this, there are indeed contrary views specifically those of Stephen Batchelor (he has a book: Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist) who pretty much claims there is no rebirth and other Buddhist concepts. This is by no means mainstream Buddhism and I certainly don't think it's "valid" as a Buddhist path, however, you might find it useful to read Stephen's thoughts on this.

• Form (or the body or "material") is one of 5 aggregates that both supports and gives rise to the delusional sense of self. Without form there is no perception, volition, sensation, or consciousness. Just as without perception, etc there is no conception of form. Form is an illusion created by the discriminating function of consciousness.

It is an illusion in the sense that your body, thoughts, beliefs, mind, etc. are all dependent upon an infinite number of dependently arisen phenomena. Your consciousness has arisen due to volitional impressions (specifically karma)that have arisen from a state of ignorance.

You are both the cause and effect of karma. This ever-changing stream of consciousness is what is reborn in every fleeting moment, in this life, in lives past, and in lives to come. There is no "you" that is reincarnated or left behind with the passing of the body. The only thing that ever remains are volitional impressions (Karma) that are the effects of ones thoughts, actions, and words.
  • edited February 2011
    By the way, your title is misleading.
    You ask what we consider Buddhism says about materialism, but then in your first post you completely change tack, and instead seek the answer to "Can enlightenment be explained in terms of brain activity?"

Which is it to be, exactly....?
    Federica, I think what voyaging is referring to is the materialist point of view that thoughts/consciousness is just material electrochemical processes in the brain and that there is no separate "mind".

So, the short answer to his question is that Buddhism does consider the mind to be separate from the physical body and that in fact, it discusses beings that are composed of mind-only and no bodies. So Buddhism can't be said to be purely materialistic.

• beingbeing Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I think this might be of interest for you - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110121144007.htm

I myself do not believe anything I have not confirmed myself and I don't see it as an obstacle to learn from Buddhas teachings, but the opposite actually. To believe in something I have not confirmed for myself, would be adding unnecessary delusions. I don't see Buddhism as a teaching, that tries to impose a belief system. I see Buddhism's goal to be the opposite - to give up attachment to any beliefs, even one calling oneself a Buddhist etc.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

~Buddha

Federica, I think what voyaging is referring to is the materialist point of view that thoughts/consciousness is just material electrochemical processes in the brain and that there is no separate "mind".

So, the short answer to his question is that Buddhism does consider the mind to be separate from the physical body and that in fact, it discusses beings that are composed of mind-only and no bodies. So Buddhism can't be said to be purely materialistic.

Yes, I see your point, and after having looked up the definition of 'materialism' you're quite right; I see that there is more to the word than the definition of a mere attachment to the physical "lovely things"....
    I was still misled a little though. It's possible others might be also.

Thanks. :)

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I am a materialist in a sense. I think all conscious states are caused by physical activity in the brain. I think there is no life after death or reincarnation.

To someone like me, neglecting the possibility for a change in my beliefs, particularly that all conscious activity can be described by physical brain activity, what truth can Buddhism still purport? Can enlightenment be explained in terms of brain activity?
    The Buddha taught there is no arising of consciousness without a sense organ as a condition.

Enlightenment is wisdom that causes the mind to let go. It is not so difficult to understand. For example, your mind realises something like the drug heroin is deadly poison therefore your mind has no craving towards the drug heroin. Your mind lets go of the drug heroin.

:)
    For in many discourses I have stated that consciousness is dependently arisen, since without a condition consciousness does not come into being.

Just as fire is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it burns - when fire burns dependent on logs, it is reckoned as a log fire; when fire burns dependent on sticks, it is reckoned as a stick fire; when fire burns dependent on grass, it is reckoned as a grass fire; when fire burns dependent on cowdung, it is reckoned as a cowdung fire; when fire burns dependent on chaff, it is reckoned as a chaff fire; when fire burns dependent on rubbish, it is reckoned as a rubbish fire - so too, consciousness is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it arises.

When consciousness arises dependent on eye and forms, it is reckoned as eye-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on nose and odours, it is reckoned as nose-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on tongue and flavours, it is reckoned as tongue-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on body and tangibles, it is reckoned as body-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on mind and phenomena, it is reckoned as mind-consciousness.

Mahàtanhàsankhaya Sutta

http://www.buddhist-elibrary.org/en/albums/asst/ebook/03_mahatanhasankhaya.pdf
  • Federica, I kinda agree that the title is misleading. As a writer and a scientist, I think words should be used in a way that most of us can understand. Still, if the intent was not to mislead, then that is fine :)

Physiologically, I'm not sure if we should separate the mind from the brain. Although we generally have concious control of our thoughts, this is not always the case. All the body's systems feed information into the brain and this impacts on our behaviour.

For example, I was sad and anxious today. I don't know why...maybe my cortisol levels were too high.... I snapped at a colleague and then had to say sorry. If I was happy, it wouldn't have happened.

Vangelis, you make your points well, but maybe Buddha would suggest that you're being overly dogmatic. I don't believe in rebirth because I have no real evidence to support it. I don't dismiss it though.
    edited February 2011
    Then there is no role for Buddhism in your life. If there is only one lifetime and cessation occurs at the end of this lifetime, there is no point for seeking the end of suffering.
    Vangelis

The Buddha taught the cause for faith in the Dhamma is suffering.

When the mind actually experiences suffering, it fully understands the urgency of extinguishing that suffering immediately.

"Faith, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for faith? 'Suffering' should be the reply.

Upanisa Sutta

“Good, bhikkhus. So you have been guided by me with this dhamma, which is directly visible (sandiññhika), timeless (akàlika), verifiable (ehipassika), leading onwards (opaneyyika), to be individually experienced by the wise (paccattaü veditabbo vinnuhi).

Mahàtanhàsankhaya Sutta

• So, the short answer to his question is that Buddhism does consider the mind to be separate from the physical body and that in fact, it discusses beings that are composed of mind-only and no bodies.
    I trust the Buddha himself did not purport mind-only views.

Very well then, Kotthita my friend, I will give you an analogy; for there are cases where it is through the use of an analogy that intelligent people can understand the meaning of what is being said.

It is as if two sheaves of reeds were to stand leaning against one another. In the same way, from mentality-materiality as a requisite condition comes consciousness, from consciousness as a requisite condition comes mentality-&-materiality.

Nalakalapiyo Sutta: Sheaves of Reeds

edited February 2011
    I certainly don't think it's "valid" as a Buddhist path...
    Greetings Vangelis

When I was a child, it was repeatedly flogged into me by my religion teacher (who I would vigorously debate) to never begin an opinion with the words "I don't think". Although I was staunchly anti-Christian, my kind (ordained) Christian teacher at least had the lovingness to set me on a logical path.

"I certainly don't think..."

You don't think???

It appears so, with your blind faith opinions.

:buck:

• Then there is no role for Buddhism in your life. If there is only one lifetime and cessation occurs at the end of this lifetime, there is no point for seeking the end of suffering.
    I sincerely hope you don't mean this. When else could suffering occur other than in this lifetime?

Indeed I intended "materialism" to mean the philosophical worldview. Thank you for your answer. I certainly don't think a being can be without physical existence (it is clear that brain causes experience), so I guess I'm at odds with Buddhist teachings.
    I think this might be of interest for you - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110121144007.htm
    Ah yes, I have read many studies such as this, and this is in general what has brought me to this forum. Is the Buddhist view of "Enlightenment" brought about through meditation reflected in this brain change? I see no other possibility. In other words, with the proper technology and knowledge, could we potentially engineer our brains to be "Enlightened" by causing the same brain changes that meditation brings about?

The Buddha taught there is no arising of consciousness without a sense organ as a condition.
    Yes, this is my belief.

Enlightenment is wisdom that causes the mind to let go. It is not so difficult to understand. For example, your mind realises something like the drug heroin is deadly poison therefore your mind has no craving towards the drug heroin. Your mind lets go of the drug heroin.
    Have you ever taken heroin? I think you would change your mind if you were to.

Federica, I kinda agree that the title is misleading. As a writer and a scientist, I think words should be used in a way that most of us can understand. Still, if the intent was not to mislead, then that is fine :)
    Certainly I can see the misconception caused by the title, but it makes sense linguistically :).

Physiologically, I'm not sure if we should separate the mind from the brain. Although we generally have concious control of our thoughts, this is not always the case. All the body's systems feed information into the brain and this impacts on our behaviour.
    I think it would be wise to add that I am a determinist and believe that humans have no free will. This may shed some light on my views.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate this discussion.
    edited February 2011
    I sincerely hope you don't mean this.
    The dude is brainwashed.

:eek2:
    edited February 2011
    Have you ever taken heroin? I think you would change your mind if you were to.
    For a mind with such a fertile imagination as yours, there is probably no role for Buddhism in your life.

Buddha taught his core teachings for those with little dust in their eyes.

Buddha taught reincarnation to protect ordinary unenlightened people from self-harm.

:lol:
    edited February 2011
    I think it would be wise to add that I am a determinist and believe that humans have no free will. This may shed some light on my views.
    Fully enlightened beings have free will.

Your view simply sheds light on enlightenment deficiency.

• Can elaborate on what exactly are the "negative" and "thought patterns to be 'eliminated'"?

Thanks!
    Brain and Mind are two different things, you understand.
    Enlightenment means using meditation (exercise) to change the thought patterns in the brain. You exercise your brain in a different way, to activate specific thought patterns and eliminate others.
    But in a Mind-speak sense, you merely 'change your mind' and move away from the negative.

This is all purely speculative on my part, and I know nothing of the technical mechanics required.
    But the Dalai Lama has made a study of this....
  • If there is only one lifetime and cessation occurs at the end of this lifetime...
    The Buddha taught about the cessation of craving; about the cessation of greed, hatred & ignorance.

• Oh dear, indeed, Dhamma Dhatu. I don't cling onto trying to "convert" or "coerce" people into becoming Buddhists. They can investigate and make up their minds themselves whether they should follow the path set out by the Buddha some 2,500 years ago or not. Whatever is right for them at the time of their lives or lifetimes.

The Buddha taught the cause for faith in the Dhamma is suffering.
    Oh, really? Nice quote you give but please, please, please do not take quotes out of context. Let me quote a greater part of the "Upanisa Sutta: Discourse on Supporting Conditions" and show what it is actually saying:

"The knowledge of destruction with respect to destruction has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for the knowledge of destruction? 'Emancipation' should be the reply.

"Emancipation, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for emancipation? 'Dispassion' should be the reply.

"Dispassion, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for dispassion? 'Disenchantment' should be the reply.

"Disenchantment, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for disenchantment? 'The knowledge and vision of things as they really are' should be the reply.

"The knowledge and vision of things as they really are, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for the knowledge and vision of things as they really are? 'Concentration' should be the reply.

"Concentration, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for concentration? 'Happiness' should be the reply.

"Happiness, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for happiness? 'Tranquillity' should be the reply.

"Tranquillity, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for tranquillity? 'Rapture' should be the reply.

"Rapture, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for rapture? 'Joy' should be the reply.

"Joy, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for joy? 'Faith' should be the reply.

"Faith, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for faith? 'Suffering' should be the reply.

"Suffering, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for suffering? 'Birth' should be the reply.
    ref: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.023.bodh.html

So if we read the whole of the supporting conditions that faith is responsible for, we see that whilst suffering is the supporting condition for faith, faith in fact supports: joy/rapture/tranquility/happiness/concentration/knowledge of things as they really are/disenchantment/dispassion/emancipation/knowledge of destruction (of the cankers). So we see that in fact, faith is the supporting factor for awakening and destruction of the cankers. It supports path factors such as concentration and wisdom (knowledge of things as they really are). It is pivotal to the path.

It should be mentioned, however, that there are 2 types of faith. Blind faith is belief in anything with no evidence and the faith the the Buddha talks about is faith based on having seen part of the path for oneself.

Faith is listed as one of the seven treasures (dhanas), one of the five spiritual faculties (indriyas), one of the four streams of merit and one or the spiritual powers (balas). There are many suttas that discuss faith and its support of progress on the path, however, rather than go into all of them in this post, here is a link that discusses some of them: http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Faith_in_Buddhism_-_Faith_in_Early_Buddhism_Theravada/id/1290150

and of course, there is always wikipedia which I loath to quote because of the amount of misinformation in it but for what it's worth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_in_Buddhism

And now for my: "superstitious unverified speculations about rebirth?". I have faith that the Buddhist monks and nuns I speak to do not lie. I therefore believe them when they tell me that there is rebirth. I have faith when they tell me how one can experience one's past lives. I have faith when some (very few) have related some of their past lives to me. I don't have faith when they talk about some of the "superstitious speculations" because I have actually experienced them for myself but as for past lives and rebirth, I have faith (and ensuring logical consistency of course) that they are not lying to me and that rebirth exists. I also have faith that one day, as progression occurs along the path, rebirth will be realised as part of that.

So, from the point of view of someone that states "I don't believe in rebirth, tell me how Buddhism is applicable", I can't do that. All I can say is that if you really strongly believe that there is no rebirth then there is no point in worrying about Buddhism. This seems to be the right path for someone that thinks like that.

But to imply that there is no room for faith in Buddhism is to misrepresent the dhamma.

• I trust the Buddha himself did not purport mind-only views.

He did better than that - he taught beings how to experience them for themselves. Try the arupa jhanas.

edited February 2011
    It should be mentioned, however, that there are 2 types of faith. Blind faith is belief in anything with no evidence and the faith the the Buddha talks about is faith based on having seen part of the path for oneself.
    Vangelis

There is no need for you to mention what I already mentioned.

I posted a quote on bright faith & mentioned your blind faith.

As you said: "I have [blind] faith that the Buddhist monks and nuns I speak to do not lie."

The Buddha himself did not lie. The Dhamma states the following:
    The Awakened One, best of speakers,
    Spoke two kinds of truths:
    The conventional and the ultimate.
    A third truth does not obtain.

Therein:
    The speech wherewith the world converses is true
    On account of its being agreed upon by the world.
    The speech which describes what is ultimate is also true,
    Through characterizing dhammas as they really are.

Therefore, being skilled in common usage,
    False speech does not arise in the Teacher,
    Who is Lord of the World,
    When he speaks according to conventions.

(Mn. i. 95)
    When the Buddha said birth (jati) is the condition for suffering, he was referring to self-identification, when the mind mentally appropriates the objects of sense and the five aggregates.

• This new forum style is killing me, I can't get it to work right :P

So, from the point of view of someone that states "I don't believe in rebirth, tell me how Buddhism is applicable", I can't do that. All I can say is that if you really strongly believe that there is no rebirth then there is no point in worrying about Buddhism. This seems to be the right path for someone that thinks like that.
    That is all I need to know then, thank you very much.
  • I certainly don't think it's "valid" as a Buddhist path...
    Greetings Vangelis

When I was a child, it was repeatedly flogged into me by my religion teacher (who I would vigorously debate) to never begin an opinion with the words "I don't think". Although I was staunchly anti-Christian, my kind (ordained) Christian teacher at least had the lovingness to set me on a logical path.

"I certainly don't think..."

You don't think???

It appears so, with your blind faith opinions.

:buck:
    I'm not going to get into a syntactical debate with you. There is no point in it. I am not going to say: "this is a fact believe it or else". So, yes, "I think", or "I believe so" are statements that admit the fact that for every person in a room or in the world, there are that many "views". Mine is but one, as is yours.

• I sincerely hope you don't mean this.
    The dude is brainwashed.

:eek2:
    I will also not get into personal attacks. You may do so but that will say more about you than me as a person.

edited February 2011
    He did better than that - he taught beings how to experience them for themselves. Try the arupa jhanas.
    Vangelis

You are misrepresenting the Buddha here. Just because the experience of the physical body ceases, this does not mean there is no physical body.

Allow me to share an example with you. When I was a child, my younger sister would close her eyes and then excitedly say to me: "You can't see me, you can't see me!"

There is a similar example in the suttas, when Sariputta was deep in meditation and a Yaka set him a blow on the head with a stick. Sariputta did not feel the blow on the head when in meditation but when his mind emerged from its meditation, it certainaly felt a headache. Sariputta later felt the physical pain from the blow on the head.

Of arupa jhanas, the Buddha regarded these as conditioned states.
    One discerns that 'If I were to direct equanimity as pure & bright as this towards the dimension of the infinitude of space and to develop the mind along those lines, that would be fabricated. One discerns that 'If I were to direct equanimity as pure and bright as this towards the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness... the dimension of nothingness... the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception and to develop the mind along those lines, that would be fabricated.'

Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta: An Analysis of the Properties
    As for the state of enlightenment, the Buddha advised this includes the physical body:
    He discerns that 'Whatever disturbances that would exist based on the effluent of sensuality... the effluent of becoming... the effluent of ignorance, are not present. And there is only this modicum of disturbance: that connected with the six sensory spheres, dependent on this very body with life as its condition.'

And so this, his entry into emptiness, accords with actuality, is undistorted in meaning, pure — superior & unsurpassed.

Cula-suññata Sutta: The Lesser Discourse on Emptiness

edited February 2011
    I will also not get into personal attacks. You may do so but that will say more about you than me as a person.
    OK. I apologise.

:dunce:

• As you said: "I have [blind] faith that the Buddhist monks and nuns I speak to do not lie."
    I will also not misquote you nor put words in your mouth. That again says more about you than me.

I have faith in the monks/nuns that I speak with because I watch listen and notice what they do and say to ensure that there is conformance. When I see conformance, then I understand that they are genuine and are not likely to lie. When they talk about some of their lay followers that they have been teaching having experienced their past life(s) then there is no reason to not believe them.

The Buddha himself did not lie. The Dhamma states the following:
    No, but he has been misrepresented many, many times. Taking quotes out of context is one such deceptive trick used to misrepresent him.
    The Awakened One, best of speakers,
    Spoke two kinds of truths:
    The conventional and the ultimate.
    A third truth does not obtain.

Therein:
    The speech wherewith the world converses is true
    On account of its being agreed upon by the world.
    The speech which describes what is ultimate is also true,
    Through characterizing dhammas as they really are.

Therefore, being skilled in common usage,
    False speech does not arise in the Teacher,
    Who is Lord of the World,
    When he speaks according to conventions.

(Mn. i. 95)
    When the Buddha said birth (jati) is the condition for suffering, he was referring to self-identification, when the mind mentally appropriates the objects of sense and the five aggregates.

No, the Buddha did not lie and he did not speak in parables. When he says birth, he means birth. When he says death, he means death. From Sammaditthi Sutta: The Discourse on Right View:

15. "And what is suffering, what is the origin of suffering, what is the cessation of suffering, what is the way leading to the cessation of suffering? Birth is suffering; aging is suffering; sickness is suffering; death is suffering; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; not to obtain what one wants is suffering; in short, the five aggregates affected by clinging are suffering. This is called suffering.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.009.ntbb.html

It's quite clear what he means by birth and death here.
  • I am not going to say: "this is a fact believe it or else". So, yes, "I think", or "I believe so" are statements that admit the fact that for every person in a room or in the world, there are that many "views". Mine is but one, as is yours.
    OK. I apologise.

:dunce:
    edited February 2011
    No, the Buddha did not lie and he did not speak in parables. When he says birth, he means birth. When he says death, he means death. From Sammaditthi Sutta: The Discourse on Right View.
    Vangelis

In the First Sermon, 'birth' means physical birth rather than the mental birth I referred to.

Allow me to offer some examples about how physical birth is suffering & also an example of mental birth in Dependent Origination:
    The mother then carries the embryo in her womb for nine or ten months with much anxiety, as a heavy burden. Then, at the end of nine or ten months, the mother gives birth with much anxiety, as a heavy burden.

Mahàtanhàsankhaya Sutta

Good man didn't you see an infant who stands and lies with difficulty, mingled in his own urine and excreta while lying?

Devadåtasutta

There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form to be the self. That assumption is a fabrication. Now what is the cause, what is the origination, what is the birth, what is the coming-into-existence of that fabrication? To an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person, touched by that which is felt born of contact with ignorance, craving arises. That fabrication is born of that.

Parileyyaka Sutta

He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Thus was it said. With reference to what was it said? 'I am' is a construing. 'I am this' is a construing. Construing is a disease, construing is a cancer, construing is an arrow. By going beyond all construing, he is said to be a sage at peace. Furthermore, a sage at peace is not born...

Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta

About the word, 'birth', Buddhagosa explains in his Vissiddhimagga:

Now this word jati has many meanings.

For in the passage 'he recollects one birth, two births, etc', it is becoming.

In the passage 'Visakha, there is a kind (jati) of ascetics called Niganthas (Jains)', it is monastic order.

In the passage 'birth is includes in two aggregates', it is whatever is formed.

In the passage 'his birth is due to the first consciousness in the mother's womb' (Vin.i,93), it is rebirth-linking.

In the passage 'as soon as he was born (sampatijata), the Bodhisattva' (M.iii,123) it is parturition [childbirth].

In the passage 'one who is not rejected and despised on the account of birth', it is clan.

In the passage 'sister, since i was born with noble birth', it is the Noble One's virtue.
    Wikipedia comforms with Buddhagosa's usage of 'clan':

jati - (Hinduism) a Hindu caste or distinctive social group of which there are thousands throughout India; a special characteristic is often the exclusive occupation of its male members (such as barber or potter)
    This kind of definition of jati is most readily found in MN 98, where it is said:

Men are farmers by their acts;
    And by their acts are craftsmen too.
    Men are merchants by their acts;
    And by their acts are servants too.

Men are robbers by their acts;
    And by their acts are soldiers too.
    Men are chaplains by their acts;
    And by their acts are rulers too.

So that is how the truly wise
    See action how it really is,

Seers in Dependent Origination
    Skilled in actions and results.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011

I think that even then, Buddhism can have much to offer in the way of things like ethics and psychology.
    edited February 2011
    "Suffering, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for suffering? 'Birth' should be the reply.
    Vangelis

The Nakulapita Sutta (SN 22.1) describes how birth is the condition for suffering, as follows:
    Now, how is one afflicted in body & afflicted in mind?

He is seized with the idea that 'I am form' or 'Form is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his form changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

He is seized with the idea that 'I am feeling' or 'Feeling is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his feeling changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

He is seized with the idea that 'I am perception' or 'Perception is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his perception changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

He is seized with the idea that 'I am fabrications' or 'Fabrications are mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his fabrications change & alter, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over their change & alteration.

He is seized with the idea that 'I am consciousness' or 'Consciousness is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his consciousness changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.
    Change & alteration = aging & death

• But to imply that there is no room for faith in Buddhism is to misrepresent the dhamma.
    Hi

I never said there was no room for blind faith in Buddhism. The Buddha himself advised, in MN 22, his community was six-fold, namely, arahants, non-returners, once-returners, stream-enterers, dhamma-followers & faith-followers.

However, you appear to have asserted there is no room for non-rebirthers in Buddhism.

edited February 2011
    I have faith that the Buddhist monks and nuns I speak to do not lie. I have faith when they tell me how one can experience one's past lives. I have faith when some (very few) have related some of their past lives to me.
    hi

When remembering one's past dwellings (lit: 'homes'), the Buddha advised his monks as follows:
    At Savatthi. "Monks, any priests or contemplatives who recollect their manifold past dwellings, all recollect the five aggregates subject to clinging, or one among them. Which five?

When recollecting, 'I was one with such a form in the past,' one is recollecting just form.

Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a feeling in the past,' one is recollecting just feeling.

Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a perception in the past,' one is recollecting just perception.

Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such mental fabrications in the past,' one is recollecting just mental fabrications.

Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a consciousness in the past,' one is recollecting just consciousness.

"Thus, monks, any form whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every form is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Any feeling whatsoever...

"Any perception whatsoever...

"Any fabrications whatsoever...

"Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"This, monks, is called a disciple of the noble ones who tears down and does not build up; who abandons and does not cling; who discards and does not pull in; who scatters and does not pile up.

Khajjaniya Sutta: Chewed Up

however, contrary to the Buddha, the Buddhist monks and nuns you speak to do not understand what they regard as "their past life or self" are just mental fabrications

contrary to the Buddha, the Buddhist monks and nuns you speak to do not tear down but build up; do not abandon but cling; do not discard but pull in; do not scatter but pile up.

:lol:
  • dhamma datu,a non returner or non rebirther is someone who has reached enlightenment and goes on to higher realms without rebirth on earth, not someone who doesnt believe in rebirth. or maybe i misunderstood your statement, in that case, sorry.
  • But to imply that there is no room for faith in Buddhism is to misrepresent the dhamma.
    Hi

I never said there was no room for blind faith in Buddhism.
    There is no room for blind-faith in Buddhism.

• "Suffering, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for suffering? 'Birth' should be the reply.
    Vangelis

The Nakulapita Sutta (SN 22.1) describes how birth is the condition for suffering, as follows:
    Now, how is one afflicted in body & afflicted in mind?

He is seized with the idea that 'I am form' or 'Form is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his form changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

He is seized with the idea that 'I am feeling' or 'Feeling is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his feeling changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

He is seized with the idea that 'I am perception' or 'Perception is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his perception changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.

He is seized with the idea that 'I am fabrications' or 'Fabrications are mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his fabrications change & alter, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over their change & alteration.

He is seized with the idea that 'I am consciousness' or 'Consciousness is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his consciousness changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair over its change & alteration.
    Change & alteration = aging & death

This is how attributing an "I" to any of the khandhas is suffering.

• However, you appear to have asserted there is no room for non-rebirthers in Buddhism.

I said that I can't see how that can be but in fairness and openness, I referenced Stephen Batchelor whose writings I do not agree with as they do not accord with what the Buddhist monks say, including the scholar monks. However, I do not hide the fact that there are competing "views" and I state those views even if I don't agree with them.

edited February 2011
    Sincerely, your mind is holding one very bizarre & dangerous wrong view.

In his first three sermons, the Buddha produced many arahants but did not even mention rebirth.

The Buddha taught rebirth belief is mundane right view that sides with merit but also sides with attachment & fermentations (asava). The Buddha taught rebirth belief is not a factor of the supramundane path (see MN 117).

I can only suggest you straighten out your bizzare, dangerous & disrespectful views.

Many sincere Buddhists, including renowned teachers & monks, do not believe in rebirth. Amongst these, I am not including Stephen Batchelor. I am referring to dedicated practitioners.

The Buddha never once included rebirth in a description of his core teachings.

Regardless of virtues or powers a monk can display, accepting unverifiable teachings from such monks remains blind faith.

All the best

edited February 2011
    This is how attributing an "I" to any of the khandhas is suffering.
    This is how the last four links of Dependent Origination manifest.

Attachment (initial thought of "I") > becoming > birth (full belief or identification as "I" & "mine"
    > suffering due to aging & death of object of attachment

:zombie:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I think it depends how far you go. Do you trust science or your own experience?

If a doctor hooked up electrodes to your brain and said that you were thinking of an elephant based on the reaings. But you were not. It would be an extreme to believe the doctor rather than your own experience.

I will also point out that it is the mental thinking that makes the material world seem substantial. But actually the mind activity is the foundation. Its an assumption that mind is emanating from a physical reality. The truth is that there is a mental process. And from that mental process we have a concept of 'physical' 'real' 'exists'.

If you don't see that in my 3rd paragraph then you cannot penetrate the dharma teachings to the level of emptiness from an experienced perspective. Though you could cognitively understand it via various explanations such as dependent origination.

In other words you would have a subtle grasping to the concepts 'physical' 'material' etc which would cause suffering due to the strain of holding onto something that is insubstantial and the need to defend your views. Until that grasping were overcome you would not have achieved the goal of the holy life which is liberation of the heart.
  • edited February 2011

I have only just read this thread - and that is a worrying point of view Vangelis, because its contrary to the attitude of teachers I have spoken to offline from 2 different traditions. People who don't believe in rebirth are most certainly accepted by them as Buddhist practitioners.

Personally I neither believe nor disbelieve in rebirth because its not something I think about these days although I've received teachings about it.

In general,this lifetime is the one we're living right now and the Buddhas's teachings are practiced in this lifetime. Speculation about past or future lives is irrelevant to what's happening in the here and now.

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I also have not found it necessary to have a view on literal rebirth to practice ... and it is only online in forums that I have encountered the issue stressed in the way it is here in this discussion.
  • believe in an afterlife or disbelief in same can have a profound impact or importance to how we live our lives so to call it irrelevant, unimportant or nonsense seems kind of silly. at least we can agree to disagree, trying to disprove reincarnation from buddha scriptures seems pointless and ridiculous, however, dhamma datu needs to wait till he dies before passing judgment on the whole process.
  • dhamma datu needs to wait till he dies before passing judgment on the whole process.
    Uh?

:screwy:
  • edited February 2011
    some people have no concept of rebirth, afterlife,heavens and hells till they die, passing judgment on believers and ridiculing the afterlife like dhamma did, and quoting or misquoting scripture is annoying, wait till you die to figure it out if you cant understand it, the buddha obviously talked a lot about his past lives, he may have said later it not important to dwell on it, but trying to turn a spiritual tradition of buddhism in to a vehicle to support secular humanism is ridiculous,

if you say i'm not a buddhist i don't believe in any afterlife that's fine, but trying to second guess the buddha and claim he said it all, i don't think so, scriptures in the bible seem to directly contradict themselves all the time, the same can be true of buddhist scriptures too especially when things are taken out of context,

proof text buddhism is just as ridiculous as proof text christianity or judaism, you pretty much have to read whole books or chapters to get the true context of a given passage and even then you can be often thrown off by a bad translation or misunderstanding a word, that's why i'd take the words of the monk who's studied scripture their whole life over my own interpretation of one small page out of hundreds of volumes of buddha scripture.

a typical example of proof text mentality is the anti homosexual christian message, a few verses put together, nothing whatsoever in jesus' words and a whole section of society, millions of people are condemned. we need to move beyond that, we cant say you have to believe in reincarnation to practise buddhism, but we certainly cant say buddhist's don't believe in reincarnation either, dare i say it, middle path????
  • edited February 2011
    former monk John said:

"some people have no concept of rebirth, afterlife,heavens and hells till
    they die,ie, passing judgment on believers and ridiculing the afterlife like dhamma did, and quoting or misquoting scripture is annoying, wait till you die to figure it out if you cant understand it, the buddha obviously talked a lot about his past lives, he may have said later it not important to dwell on it, but trying to turn a spiritual tradition of buddhism in to a vehicle to support secular humanism is ridiculous, "

And are you not passing judgement on others yourself?...and how on earth can a dead person 'figure it out'. Additionally the "afterlife" is a Christian concept.
    As for DD'S quotes, they are always relevant.

To conclude:

"The Blessed One said:

You shouldn't chase after the past
    or place expectations on the future.
    What is past is left behind.
    The future is as yet unreached.
    Whatever quality is present
    you clearly see right there, right there."

(MN 131 : Bhaddekaratta Sutta)

Time for me to attend to my offline life now. :)
  • edited February 2011
    well given there is an afterlife, i think a dead person would be in a better position to understand it than a live one, if there is no afterlife then no one can understand it, as for me passing judgment i think dhamma has me beat on that one, im not trying to insult people for not believing like me, he offended me and i responded nothing more.....( with regards his comments to Vangelis)
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited February 2011
    hello John.
    You got it totally wrong imho. Datu was not ridiculing any believers. He was only trying to show, that there is room in Buddhism for ANYONE. He was trying to prove, with Buddhas own words, that even if you don't believe in rebirth, it is NO obstacle to learning from Buddhas teachings.
    Believing in rebirth is not a prerequisite to understand/follow Buddhism.

It saddens me to see someone turning people away from Buddhism, just because they don't blindly believe in something, when in actuality Buddha strongly encouraged this kind of behavior.
  • may be you should go back and read what he said to vangelis ridiculing his belief in monks that teach rebirth, accusing him of holding bizarre, dangerous and disrespectful beliefs, and this refering to MONKS AND NUNS who believe in rebirth, hogwash, he has every right to his own views but he doesnt need to belittle the majority of the sangha for having belief in past lives or reincarnation, being, you got it totally wrong IMO
  • edited February 2011

This is the central question. Can enlightenment be explained in terms of brain activity?
    I think the organization of the brain is responsible for the way the mind fucntions, but what mind is actually made out of can't really be explained completely in terms of mechanistics. I've heard the perception of colors as being described as some sort of label. Well, if the brain was just non-living information, why couldn't it just build a label out of some sort of abstract code, like a specific combination of on and off codes.

Why the information in the brain translates to percieved colors, among a variety of other sensations, to an observer is something of a mystery. Its about as much of a mystery, in my view, to why matter has any of the properties it has, whether its creating gravitational fields by warping space and time or why photons get discharged when an electron goes into an excited state. Most of what we know about matter is the result of modeling it. Much of how it actually works is a mystery.

What I notice with materialism is it neglects the mystery of awareness and the internal observer. Its basically ignored. To many materialists, they believe the processes of matter precede consciousness. In my view, cosnciousness is an aspect of matter, as much as ionic bonding is an aspect of matter. I don't see much of a distinction. I think they're two sides of the same coin. I basically think the whole universe has elemental building blocks of consciousness build into it, and were a very complex organization of that consciousness, just as much as were a very complex organization of matter, which vicariously holds those same conscious properties.

The ego, in my view, is a kind of gravitational field that we, as conscious systems, are currently trapped in. The field, which is some result of electrons working in a very complex association with one another, gives the individual the temporary illusion that there's a "me" and an "everything else". Its not unlike how matter, when trapped in a gravitational field, clumps into a ball called a planet and how everything outside of that ball is the rest of the universe. That's one way to look at it I guess.

Anyway, I think there's consciousness or proto-consciousness existent in evrything, and that the complex organization of electrons that forms the human mind, plays off of the different states that proto-mind can exist in. The phenomenon of seeong Red, Green, and Yellow, tasting salty and bitter, feeling happy and sad are all complex diffractions and harmonizations of the protomind. I also think this proto-mind is also the basis of free woll. If matter preceeded consciousness, then there would be no free will. I don't think anything preceeds anything though. I think were as much linked with the governing laws of the universe as the wind or any "external" force is. The conscious phenomenon that drives the actions of the body is, I believe, the very same phenomenon that governs the laws of the universe. Were the laws, and the laws are us.

I hope that fills you in on where I'm coming from. Now based off of the idea that consciousness is an intrinsic part of the universe as much as matter is, I believe that when we die, our consciousness doesn't completely dissapear. The current form and organization of it collapses into baser components, just as how the matter in our body doesn't completely dissapear. It just decays into baser elements. ...and it all gets reshaped into new forms based off of whatever path the universe goes on.

Anyway, that's the perspective of consciousness that much of Buddhism, as well as Eastern thought in general, is coming from. I'm sure others can fill you in on what the specific sects say about materialism, but this is much of where Sidhartha's perspective originated from.
This discussion has been closed.