Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive

johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
edited February 2011 in Arts & Writings
I just ordered some books from Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive (http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php) and am wondering if anyone has ordered any books from there and if so what was your opinion of the material in them.

I just read the following post in another thread:
The Tibetans do not want to go thru the embarrassment of what occured with Lama Yeshe's so-called reincarnation, the Spanish boy...
and it caused me to wonder about whether the books I've ordered are of good quality Dharma.

The books I ordered were:

- "The Peaceful Stillness of the Silent Mind" by Lama Yeshe
- "The Joy of Compassion" by Lama Zopa Rinpoche
- "The Essence of Tibetan Buddhism" by Lama Yeshe
- "Becoming Your Own Therapist and Make Your Mind an Ocean" (combined edition) by Lama Yeshe

Comments

• Lama Yeshe is highly respected. Fear not. And people renouncing tulku status isn't all that unusual, actually. As Dazzle has said a couple of times recently, "Don't believe everything you read online".
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    "Becoming Your Own Therapist and Make Your Mind an Ocean" sounds like an interesting book, I must say.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    Just wanted to make sure it wasn't another Osho-like thing.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I just ordered some books from Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive (http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php) and am wondering if anyone has ordered any books from there and if so what was your opinion of the material in them.

I just read the following post in another thread:
    The Tibetans do not want to go thru the embarrassment of what occured with Lama Yeshe's so-called reincarnation, the Spanish boy...
    and it caused me to wonder about whether the books I've ordered are of good quality Dharma.

The books I ordered were:

- "The Peaceful Stillness of the Silent Mind" by Lama Yeshe
    - "The Joy of Compassion" by Lama Zopa Rinpoche
    - "The Essence of Tibetan Buddhism" by Lama Yeshe
    - "Becoming Your Own Therapist and Make Your Mind an Ocean" (combined edition) by Lama Yeshe
    Lama Yeshe is excellent there is certainly nothing wrong with him or his teachings :)
  • Lama Yeshe's stuff is not an Osho-like thing. His biography is as you see it on that site- he was a very well-respected teacher. His teaching style is a bit "free-form" for me, such that I couldn't follow it well, or should I say it wasn't appealing to me- they're transcripts of talks and they're "loosely-structured talks". If I remember right, johnathan, "free-form" isn't exactly your cup of tea either, although that may have changed.

A lot of people really loved Lama Yeshe though. I just missed meeting him by a couple of years visiting the gompa in California. He was very charismatic and very highly regarded.

Even so, there may be other books from the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition that you would like better.

Lama Zopa is highly respected and loved too. For me, I find his use of references to past karma in causal ways and some other... hmm... somewhat dogmatic ways of thinking are something I have difficulty with. You may see it differently though.

@compassionate_warrior, @caz namyaw, @SherabDorje Thank-you for your comments, I am glad that these writings are respected.

@MindGate It does sound interesting. My girlfriend got me "Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal teachings to Buddhist Psychology" by Jack Kornfield. I'm only a few chapters in but seeing Buddhism from that perspective is very interesting and useful.

@SherabDorje > You are correct, I don't do well with "free-form" or "loosely-structured talks". Having ADHD-PI I have a very hard time attaining to information. The more abstract the information is the less likely I'm going to be able to concentrate on it. I prefer structure with well defined concepts and practices.

I follow the Thai Forest tradition.

I am slightly drawn to Nyinma (more so for Dzogchen as described by Lama Surya Das).

I also appreciate Zen. Thich Nhat Hanh's "Peace is Every Step" is the kind of practice I currently try to lead.

And any teachings that deal with mindfulness and being "in the now".
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Lama Yeshe is highly respected. However, that it was Lama Yeshe himself (as the Spanish boy) who renounced the tulku status is what is questionable.

Today, we can read preserved teachings of Yama Yeshe. However, I am friends with one of Lama Yeshe's original Western followers.

She shares Lama Yeshe was mostly interest in practise & liberation; that he was always laughing & very lighted hearted.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited February 2011
  • I liked the hippy photos (but could not spot Dazzle Bling amongst the flower children).

:mullet:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Lama Yeshe is highly respected. Fear not. And people renouncing tulku status isn't all that unusual, actually. As Dazzle has said a couple of times recently, "Don't believe everything you read online".
    Steven Segal has ignored his own tulku status.

• I liked the hippy photos (but could not spot Dazzle Bling amongst the flower children).

:mullet:
    Well... I have really taken advantage of this site... I have the last 3 of 15 free books on its way (well free besides shipping and handling and a $25 donation) but still overall relatively cheap - less than a hundred dollars for 15 books and a donation... I didn't even need to make the donation... With a $25 donation or more you get a free copy of any book thats published within the next year)
  • edited April 2011
    The Spanish boy has said that he was "living a lie", and has made it pretty clear he didn't think he was Lama Yeshe's reincarnation. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osel_Hita_Torres
    Does that discredit his teachings though... Are they not just as valid?
  • The boy hasn't given any teachings. It's irrelevant to Lama Yeshe's teachings. As I said in the beginning, "fear not". :) I was just adding info to DD's comment about Yeshe's reincarnation being questionable. Sorry if that confused you.