Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Temple etiquette?

BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
edited February 2011 in General Banter
On my trip to Florida next month I plan on visiting a few temples. One (Wat Mongkolratanaram) has some temple etiquette posted on their website.

This has me confused: "Do not point your feet at the Buddha statues or Monks. This is a sign of disrespect."

How does one even enter the temple where the altar/Buddha statue is front-and-center without pointing your feet at the Buddha? How does one approach, greet and speak to a Monk without the feet being pointed at them?

What am I missing here?

TIA

Comments

• I'm pretty sure it's meant as literal pointing and for example when sitting.
  • I think you're taking it too literally. Of course you have to point in a specific direction if you're walking in that direction.

It means while sitting. Don't point your feet, especially the bottoms of your feet, in that direction while sitting.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I'm a literal kind of guy - guess I assumed they were also. :-/

I'd not heard of this type of disrespect before so it caught me off guard.

Thanx all.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I also think "intention is all" personally...
    In different cultures, different gestures mean different things...The 'O' we make with our thumb and forefinger, when signing 'OK' is considered extremely vulgar in some parts of Europe and south S.America....
  • I also think "intention is all" personally...
    In different cultures, different gestures mean different things...The 'O' we make with our thumb and forefinger, when signing 'OK' is considered extremely vulgar in some parts of Europe and south S.America....
    Yes, and in Indonesia it is considered very rude to point at someone. Even if you're just pointing to say "Mary is over there", it's considered offensive. You should instead hold out your whole hand in their direction.

And yes, they mean when sitting as far as your feet. Don't sit with your toes pointed forward if on the floor or if in a chair, tuck your feet under.

• Do the best you can. The people around you who know the ropes: they can tune into other aspects of your body language. Your earnestness, which I'm sure you have, will show thru in other ways. Everybody forgives beginners or new comers ("everybody" meaning the people worth being around). For example: if you are a new pilot (airplanes) you get near a large airport? The traffic controllers and expert commercial pilots ALL slow down and give you, the new pilot, extreme amounts of courtesy and dispensation.
  • On my trip to Florida next month I plan on visiting a few temples. One (Wat Mongkolratanaram) has some temple etiquette posted on their website.

This has me confused: "Do not point your feet at the Buddha statues or Monks. This is a sign of disrespect."

How does one even enter the temple where the altar/Buddha statue is front-and-center without pointing your feet at the Buddha? How does one approach, greet and speak to a Monk without the feet being pointed at them?

What am I missing here?

TIA

Hi BD,

It usually means that if you are sitting cross-legged in the temple shrine room you don't stretch your legs out with the feet pointing in the direction of the statue or monks.

with kind wishes,

D