Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rampant Hypocracy in Christians

edited September 2005 in Faith & Religion
I have a question for those who consider themselves devout Christians who visit this board. I've seen and known many people who consider themselves 'strong Christians' or however they would put it, but, other than going to Church each week, they don't demonstrate any of the values that I would have thought a Christian would.

Examples include people I've known who were crazy party animals, always going to parties and getting totally drunk or high, usually underage. I thought breaking the law also went against Christian fundamentals? I worked with a girl who explicitlity TOLD ME I would go to hell because I didn't go to church every week, yet, every morning she'd come in with some story of having sex with some guy at some lake or about some party she went to and got totally trashed.

Now, I wouldn't ask this question other than the fact that I've seen it over and over again. There's far fewer "Christians" I've met that actually acted the way you would expect someone who boasted about strong moral values to act than the ones who say it and live their life completely differently.

My point is; I wish these people would stop the facade, don't go around saying what a good Christian you are then the next day talk about how many girls you've slept with. Why do you suppose this happens? Why do these people try to have this front, this image, that they obviously are not like at all??

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2005
    It's not just christians. You just happen to notice it more because we live in a very predominantly christian society.

In thailand and other parts of southeast asia, there are monks who gamble like crazy, smoke, drink, party, and generally don't exactly live a buddhist lifestyle. It is, unfortunately, more common than not.

In Israel, although I have no firsthand knowledge, I imagine it is safe to say you would find many jews who love their religion, but probably don't exactly live a religious lifestyle.

The problem is not with religion - it's with attachment. People realize that they are weak and make many mistakes. They foist their insecurities off by making you feel bad about your life. They are attached to some ideal that they believe is worth living for - and even though they can't or won't do it, they will try to make others do it in their stead.

It's just like a playground bully. They hate themselves, so they push other kids around.
  • edited January 2005
    Brian wrote:

It's just like a playground bully. They hate themselves, so they push other kids around.

That's a very good analogy Prime, and that's why it irritates me so much, to have someone tell me that I'll be damned to hell for not doing the right things and then have them turn around and tell me about all these thing they do that would be consider sins under their own religion.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2005
    It seems to be that most people can not seperate their two natures of animalism/humanity. The animalistic and instinctual impulses to do whatever brings them enjoyment or gratification wins until the human side peaks through and says,"Hey that's not right." That's why Christians have the added advantage of repentance. That way they can do anything materialistic they want to and still have their slate wiped clean over and over again. The only thing they really forget is that it's not God you have to prove yourself to or make amends by. It's yourself that knows if you have done an unskillful action and it's the people you hurt along the way that you owe something to. It's like people have this bypass that skips their conscience. Religion can be very evil if it evolves to a point where your wrong doings "seem" to have no consequence. People believe they have the right to make as many mistakes as they want and not learn anything from them. I was arrested for drunk driving a few years back, and if I had that mind set I would have gotten arrested again, or maybe even worse, killed somebody. I took it as an experience to see first hand the negative consequences my actions had. Instead of saying,"God will forgive me so it's ok if I do it again" I said,"Ah that is the the fruit of my actions, I should be more careful so I don't do it again" People naturally forget they are responsible. The devil doesn't make you have sex or use drugs or steal. You decide what you do. It's an excuse and I think it's an out-dated one at that. When people say I'm going to hell I just laugh. Why let it bother me when it doesn't in all probability exist? And if it did, they would be the first to go because I make sure I live the best life I can without having to repent because I refrain form killing, stealing, drugs, etc.
  • edited January 2005
    Camman wrote:
    I worked with a girl who explicitlity TOLD ME I would go to hell because I didn't go to church every week

I thought about what you have said here and I think that just proves the number one thing wrong with Christianity. It's so publicized that no one really has to try to understand the religion they are basing their entire lives on, it's basically force fed to them and they suck it all up. I have read the Bible two times, and there isn't one single sentence in the Bible that says you must go to church on the sabbath. You can download an ebook and use windows and type in a search for "bible, church, sabbath" whatever you want, and it won't show any relavent matches. This girl probably heard someone say who have to go to church, or their parents said it to them to scare them into cooperating with them to go to church, or something stupid.

Lets take the Passion of the Christ for instance. How many Christians saw that? What does the story tell? Now how many Christians have read the Bible? and what story does that tell? Exactly. You'll hear excuses like they don't understand it, or it doesn't make sense...well the problem sure as hell ain't the wording cause there are plenty of people who have read it, and understood it just fine. It comes from the fact that it talks about things that you would deem utterly impossible, but because the "Son of God" :bowdown: did it it must be true.

Sorry I kind of went off on a rant there, but you get the basic idea, I think
  • edited April 2005
    All people are at least a little hypocritical. But with finding enlightenment that changes. People feel guilt over what is done so they take like it never happened and therefore they themselves become hypocrites. Both Buddha and Jesus said to find peace but in reality who has found peace when one person says this but does another. Brian is right about it not being just Christians but all people. Desire, guilt, and refusal to accept all lead to a hypocritical path. Many Christians say Jesus went to the sky after dying. But another view (Buddhist) says that it was a veil (clouds) over the people's eyes and some were lifted. This is the original Greek translation into English. You can go www.jesus-christ.ws for more info on the subject. But hypocrites are everywhere and can be anyone. The world will be fully rid of them.
  • edited April 2005
    Well my point wasn't of course that only Christian's are hypocritical, as several people have said, many people are, and myself at times will be hypocritical, but, I have noticed that the "strong belief" Christians I've come into contact are the first people to call you out on "sinful behavior" even if you don't follow their faith. Someone telling me I'm going to "go to hell for doing such and such" give me a break and stop trying to force my lifestyle into your values when you don't even follow them yourself.

There are lots of hypocrits in this world I'm just tired of these types trying to call others out and make them feel bad about themselves through their religious belief system. I'm sure it would happen with any belief system, but as Prime mentioned, I am surrounded by predominantly Christian people and that's where my comments are coming from.
  • edited April 2005
    I was never saying that only Christians were but all people. I've said in the post that all people were. In light of hypocrisy and of ignorance, we can benefit from knowing a least a little from everyone. No one is totally right however no one is totally wrong. Again, hypocrisy itself is based on a perception of judge and don't judge.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I think the real thing is, that when people are raised with a certain belief system they do not always take it as seriously as they were taught. I think here in the western world, which is where I am, people like myself who were raised Christian and decided to make the change on my own take their belief system more seriously. It's like Jews. They seem to be a race and not a religeon.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Brian makes the point that hypocrisy and attachments of all sorts arise within the prevailing hierarchies, be they political or religious.

A brief look at the history of the 14 Dalai Lamas reveals the extent of corruption that existed, from time to time, at the courts of Regents and Dalai Lamas themselves. Of course, we Westerners are more au fait with the defects of popes, bishops and ministers: they are part and parcel of the background of our lives.

Many have argued that organisation is, in and of itself, corrupting; that it encourages ambition and greed. Contingent with such defilements, ignorance becomes a major conditioning element. We see this process in churches, the Umma and, dare I say it, the Sangha, and in all political parties.

When we confront the 'true believer' in their home context, any questioning that we bring to the homeostasis of their imagined stability of belief may be perceived as threatening.

Within my own experience, as a Christian pilgrim to Buddhist Dharamshala, I was shocked at how many of the Tibetans expressed surprise that I termed myself Christian because I "listened" rather than tried to teach! It told me much about how arrogant Christians are perceived to be. Mind you, because my own Christianity is so far from the dogmatic mainstream that I have been preached at by many of them.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    That's very interesting Simon. And welcome to our little community.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Welcome Simon. I can tell that we're going to have an awful lot of stimulating and thought-provoking posts and contributions from you.... Your avatar is beautiful by the way...
    Poor Brian is being invaded by a high English contingency!
    It's either because of an inadequate number of Buddhist English forums - or we're trying to regain control of the colonies... peacefully, though!
    Nice to have you on board! :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    hahah it happens no matter where I go. I have been given honourary Englishman status by several friends in the UK. My other site (short-media.com) is about 40% british. I can't get away from you people! :D

It's gotten ridiculous - to the point where I am starting to be able to distinguish regional accents when I speak to various people in your country :lol:

Welcome to our site, Simon!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Thank you for your welcomes.

Congratulations on this site. It is beautifully restful on the eye.

I look forward to some interesting times here. Looking at profiles shows me that I have much to learn in this place.

:bigclap:
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I shan't hide my dislike for Christianity... But this is a Buddhist forum, not an Antichrist forum... Please...

Anyway Buddhists are different... We are like no morals... Precepts can be broken at will if we fancy, just that you find yourself going nowhere, but not to Hell like most other religions claim. So if the monks decide that they are pissed of monastery life, we can't say "Go to hell" but we can only say "Go nowhere".

And I think Christians are most hypocritical of all. Good boy for Sunday, bad boy for six days. God spent entire six days building his stuff and you spend those time wrecking it. WELL DONE.

On Sunday God rests, so you decide that you want to clean up the mess? EVEN BETTER DONE. And you push the shit of the world to non-Christians? EVEN BEST.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I read the Bible completely. And I'm non-Christian.

Anyway I'd say that the Jews give the best prayers. I have seen many Jews pray until they cry, touched by God. They seem really glad that they were brought into the world. Still, it's best not to generalize.