Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Human Will

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited December 2005 in Buddhism Today
How many of us do believe that the human will can enable a human to have unlimited power?

Say, you can run around Asia non-stop upon the brink of death (being chased by a Nazgul?), life entire cars pressing down upon the body of your spouse (I heard this before, the story goes that the wife was trapped underneath the car and the husband with all his determination and will virtually lifted the car up), whack an enemy to death even though you have ten stab wounds all over your body (this is a very bad way to die!), or something less dramatic like bending a metal spoon (ESP)?

Speaking of such I have thought of a situation where it seems impossible to follow Buddhist teachings.

Suppose your wife has been knocked unconscious, a rapist stands upon her and you have been stabbed by the rapist near-death. But if you muster all your will, you might just be able to give that idiot a round of beatings that would kill him before you die. So what do you do?

Comments

• edited December 2005
    It doesn't. The universe is not beholden to how we wish, hope, believe or will it to be.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I personally believe emotions will affect stuff when it is of a very intense character. But each of us has the freedom of belief. :doh:

Global Consciousness Project
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I believe the human body is capable of many, many things.

I believe that physics play a huge part into what the human body can do.

The human body can perform those feats which physics, musculature, internal chemicals and the variables (in the given environment) will allow.

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    I personally believe emotions will affect stuff when it is of a very intense character. But each of us has the freedom of belief. :doh:

Global Consciousness Project

Freedom of belief yes, but we also need to recognise that the universe is not about how we believe or wish it to be. The thing is to see things as they are, not how we want them to be.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Yes, I understand that we cannot change things as there are even if we have the strongest of wills. What I mean is something lesser. Like you in a coma and the doctors say you can never wake up and you have the determination to live and so you wake up one day unexpectedly.
  • edited December 2005
    Sure, that clarifies it.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Freedom of belief yes, but we also need to recognise that the universe is not about how we believe or wish it to be. The thing is to see things as they are, not how we want them to be.

Alas, venerable brother, we do not see things as they are. Far from it. Our senses, however many you number them, are limited by physiology and consciousness which transform and interpret input. Whilst our sister and brother searchers among the physicists speak of UNcertainty, I practise NON-certainty as part of my daily exercise.

Once again, I refer all to that beautiful allegory of the Dharma Through The Looking-Glass.