Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I need a Technical Miracle!

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited December 2005 in General Banter
Pardon me folks, but I have a problem with my PC....
For the past few days now, the PC has been experiencing minor glitches in it's workings.... it's been running slow, it kept coming up with a 'Report error to Microsoft' window now and then, and programmes wouldn't run...
I had been trying to do an auto-diagnostic/repair on it, and it was not happy to play ball....
Finally, yesterday evening it locked up completely, so that the only thing I could do was pull the plug from the socket and re-boot. Fortunately, the only thing open at that time was AOL. everything else had been saved and shut down.

Finally, when I re-booted, a message came up telling me something to the effect that a Hewlett-Packard part of the system was experiencing incompatibility issues with a Microsoft Update programme ,and that I had to re-install the entire HP programme, as if it were a new computer - !! It did however, assure me that no programmes would be lost, everything already recorded and saved would still be there after re-install. Phew!
So I dutifully followed all the made-for-idiots instructions, and got everything back up and running. I had to reinstall AOL ADSL link and re-install 'Microsoft works', but everything was back to normal after these procedures.

So where's my problem?

It's this:

Every single image, or photo I had in 'My pictures' and in the HP Photosmart - all our holiday pictures, all Nick's car photo's, all my 'avatar' images - has disappeared. Kaput. Gone.

Where?!?
Why??!!??

And much more important - is there any way I can retrieve them??!!?

I feel really mad, because (ONE) The computer lied to me...
and (TWO) it took me ages to accrue the collection, and these photo's are all we had. No hard copies...
If anyone can offer me any guidance on how to retrieve, I would be eternally grateful.... :(

Comments

• edited December 2005
    I can help, add me to MS Messenger as genryu2002 and let me know what the exact time difference is where you are and when you'll be online. I could walk you through it online, or possibly find them remotely if they're still on the pc. In the meantime, look in your c:\documents and settings folder for the various user accounts, and see if you can find them in one of the My Documents\My Pictures folders in there, if there are more than one. I'd also suggest that you check for spyware beforehand, using Adaware if you have it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    One: I've looked everywhere I can think of, and I can't see them anywhere.

Two: I tried adding you to MSmessenger and it won't take the signature you've given me. It says it's not complete. But I may be doing it wrong....
    Plus, I don't know how to activate my own account, and I can't access Nick's because he's got it down as his name on the passport, so I'd have to do it through his online address, not mine and I'm already getting a headache and I want a dark room to sit in - !!

If it's not too much trouble, just note it down for me, stage by stage in a PM, ....... I'll print it off and try to follow, given that all instructions on my PC will be in French.... *Deep and heavy sigh!* I wish I wasn't such a technical fudgewit - !!

But only if it really is not too much trouble. If it's too much or complicated, I'll just buy a bottle of paraffin and a box of matches....!! :lol:
  • edited December 2005
    you should visit these guys...they helped me through a cpu crisis :)

http://www.short-media.com/forum/index.php?

they are very patient and friendly...the hardest part is figuring out which forum board to post in :)

gl

adeamus
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Freddie,

I think the quickest way to see if you have any images left on your system is to

Go to Start
    Click on Search
    Select "All Files and Folders
    In the box labelled "All or part of the filename" enter: *.jpg
    The * wildcard should return you everything on your system that ends with an image type of "jpg" - which is a pretty common image type.

See if that returns anything.

Never trust your computer when it says, "Oh yeah!, Just reinstall me from like when you first brought me home and EVERYTHING will be alright, my dear."

They're liars.

-bf
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Oh yeah... zenmonk had a great idea regarding Adaware...

www.lavasoft.com is where you can get it.

Also, you might want to delete that "swinging couples" software you and Abe installed on there... along with your "Filthy Frenchies" webcam software...

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Done,

Done,

and definitely DONE!! :lol:
  • edited December 2005
    My error Federica, the ID you need to add is genryu2002@hotmail.com. Buddhafoot's suggestion about searching for jpg's should work too if they're still on the system.
    edited December 2005
    I tried it.... no joy.....:mad: I am now not so hopeful....
    had to open a different MSN messenger account through Modzilla Firefox as Nick has the main user priviledge on Microsoft Explorer...thingy.... whatsit.....

The time here now is 22:13.... does that help? compare it to the time it says I posted, according to USA time..... then let me know where the heck I am clock-wise - !! I think I'm about 5 hours ahead..
    edited December 2005
    .......actually, more like 7....:(
  • edited December 2005
    Got it. Now just add me as a contact and we should be set.
    edited December 2005
    ....ok....so why is it telling me that I can't add you, because you haven't opened an MSN messenger passport account?

I hate computers!!!!:rarr: :mean: :downhand: :werr: :banghead:
  • edited December 2005
    I have an MS Messenger account, so I can't understand that. Perhaps it would be easier if I add you? If you can send me a private message with the appropriate ID, I'll do that.