Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lord of the Rings

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited December 2005 in General Banter
After realizing that many people compare Star Wars to Buddhism I wonder if anyone even cares about Lord of the Rings...

But maybe it's because of the little similarities I can find. That of facing obstacles and not escaping them. When Frodo was in the Caves of Moria, Gandalf told him that everyone had to face the problem blah blah blah... But this isn't the point.

Any LOTR fans here?

Comments

• edited December 2005
    I am quite a huge fan of Tolkien's works.

For anyone who is interested in the worlds and mythologies he created I recommend reading 'The Silmarillian' which covers the main events in the history of the world prior to the War of the Ring.

I think one may find it difficult to draw direct parallels between Buddhism and LOTR because Tolkien himself was a staunch Catholic and, if you look carefully, you can see much evidence of this in his writings. One example (that was omitted in the Jackson films) is that when Aragorn realises his divinity his sword becomes encased in fire which he weilds to smite his foes. The angel of death traditionally also carried a sword of fire.

The character Mithrandir (Gandalf) is reborn however and generally transcends the pomp and circumstance that surrounds the other main characters in the books...

Indeed, if I were to draw a second parallel between Tolkien and a religion it would have to be the Japanese religion of Shinto. Tolkien certainly revered nature and was a true environmentalist at heart.

A little known fact is that it was Tokien's professorship in the northern industrial city of Leeds that insired the world of smoke and evil known as Mordor. That was of course prior to his being a don in the lofty academic world of Oxford colleges.

To be honest I am of the old school camp that feels the LOTR films will mainly deplete the pleasure of reading the books for many... Of course the other side of the coin is that the story will reach millions more.

:)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I just wish the Silmarillion would have covered more info on the Witch King Of Angmar and more stuff about Morgoth. Sauron was just a wuss compared to Morgoth!

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    As you probably know, Tolkien fils has made a fortune out of editing and publishing every scrap of Middle Earth material his father left.

I'm not sure if JRR would have been in sympathy with the modern ecological movement but he certainly mourned what he saw as the destruction of England. In his latter years, he would not travel back to his beloved Ribbledale woods round St Mary's Hall because train would take him through industrial landscapes. When I asked him if this was a reaction to his own childhood in Birmingham, he admitted that he had always hated the spoil tips and bleakness of the Potteries and the industrial Midlands. In many ways, he was similar to G. K. Chesterton who hankered after a sort of fairy-tale mediaevalism. Many of my contemporaries at Oxford found his attitude politically unacceptable, particularly his apologia for monarchy. To me, he was a wonderful teacher and word-spinner whose religious and political views were transmuted into marvellous stories.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2005
    All,

I love Tolkien (the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillian) and Herbert (Dune).

They are two of my favorite fiction authors.

Not many like them are there?

:)

Jason
    edited December 2005
    Another good author is Steven. R. Donaldson - he did the Thomas Covenant books.

Very good too.

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    I rather like Lovecraft myself.......

gassho
    -fd-
    edited December 2005
    HP? Another classic.

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I have to admit that I didn't get into Tolkien until the movies came out, but I finished the books before I saw the movies. The books are so much better than the movies. I had to remember that the films were not the books. I felt rather ripped off by the end of "The Return of the King". Having Saruman and Grima Wormtongue killed early in the film negated the real ending of the story. I felt it rather important the change that the Hobbits went through. Showing that they were no longer a little innocent group of people but one that had learned to defend itself.

I do read a little fantasy. Been reading off and on George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series. On book 3, but in no hurry to finish it. I've got other books I'm more interested in right now.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I tried to finish the books thrice... But everytime I read until the part where Frodo and Sam are stuck somewhere near Mordor I tend to restart all over again.

After watching the Fellowship on film I got a renewed dedication to re-read the book from end to end. I think one should read the Appendices of the Lord of the Rings as well. I think if the Tolkien line wanted to keep continuing the Middle-Earth tales, they could - as I think many would buy them.

The language in the books is excellent. Anyone who watches plainly the film is missing out on Tolkien's literary talent, and anyone who reads plainly the film is missing out all the great sceneries.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    ...The 'Who' of the 'What'......?
  • edited December 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    After realizing that many people compare Star Wars to Buddhism I wonder if anyone even cares about Lord of the Rings...

But maybe it's because of the little similarities I can find. That of facing obstacles and not escaping them. When Frodo was in the Caves of Moria, Gandalf told him that everyone had to face the problem blah blah blah... But this isn't the point.

Any LOTR fans here?

Strange but true this, I'm bringing out a T shirt that has a picture of Bush on the front with "Gollum Lives" as the text below the image. In the meantime, to discover the real subtext of the LOTR, try here:

http://www.cynicsteaparty.com/now/snarking/about/the_very_secret_diaries_of_the_lord_of_the_rings/
    edited December 2005
    Or, if you can stand the swear words

http://ter.air0day.com/?script=lotr

-bf
    edited December 2005
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    BF,
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!! Very funny even with all the swear words.