Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting piece by Ajahn Jagaro.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Very interesting indeed! I agree wholeheartedly with his assertion that the questions of rebirth/reincarnation and the like are not where to begin, they're not the goal of the Buddha's teachings and only interest us because of our clinging to existence and familiarity with "religion" teaching of an afterlife of either pleasure or torment.

Reading a lot, as he suggests, is also a great recommendation. We should know as much as we can, be comfortable with all the basics from as many angles as they are taught, and then begin our steady practice.
  • I would strongly recommend this to Beginners.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Ajahn Jagaro said: "I almost gave up at one point"

This must either be an old article or a different Ajahn Jagaro.

If an old article, contray to the article, Ajahn Jagaro did actually give up.

Ajahn Jagaro disrobed in 1995 and married a wealthy Thai woman.

His views back then & his practise seem to have been based superstition.

http://www.parami.org/duta/aussie.htm
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I would strongly recommend this to Beginners.
    There is no such thing as a "Beginner".

There are simply people with different dispositions.

To insist certain "Beginners" must believe in rebirth may lead them to reject the Buddha-Dhamma.

Best we focus on our own practise rather than becoming evangelists.

Beginners to Buddhism will find their own way and be drawn to the teachings that suit their disposition.

All the best

:)

• DD, are you saying that all those years Jagaro spent with Ajahn Chah, all he learned
    was superstition?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Not necessarily. Sometimes the superstitious angle is absorbed from elsewhere. The fact he gave up would indicate that his Buddhist calling was not sufficiently rooted for him to cut through the delusory influence of claptrap.

maybe.
  • Ajahn Jagaro said: "I almost gave up at one point"

This must either be an old article or a different Ajahn Jagaro.

If an old article, contray to the article, Ajahn Jagaro did actually give up.

Ajahn Jagaro disrobed in 1995 and married a wealthy Thai woman.

His views back then & his practise seem to have been based superstition.

http://www.parami.org/duta/aussie.htm
    To disregard everything he said as superstition just because he disrobed is a bit unfair tbh. If you kidnap a monk and fill him up with highly addictive drugs he too will become addicted. Love has the same effect on the brain as drugs. Disrobing was the honorable thing to do.
  • I was so sad to read these harsh criticisms of Ajahn Jagaro (the statement that he "married a wealthy Thai woman," by the way, is completely false; he married a young American who was and is a serious spiritual seeker, and two decades later, they are still a strong and happy couple).
    I would like for those who criticize monks who disrobe to take into consideration the fact that monasticism--however noble this calling may seem--is also, for many, an escape from some of the most difficult challenges of life. Many of the most inspiring spiritual teachers who I've met are lay people, and a substantial number of monks (but let me emphasize, not all!) suffer from various degrees of arrogance.
    We should try to learn from any and all teachers who offer valuable spiritual guidance. Monasticism is not the only way.

with much mettā,
    Jenny