Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have a wonderful [insert prefered seasonal holiday here], and great New Year!

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited January 2006 in Sanghas
All,

I just wanted to say that I am leaving to attend a year's end meditation retreat Saturday [like you really care ;) ].

It is always good to take whatever time you can to simply stop everything for a moment and focus on your practice. You can read as many Suttas as you want, you can debate the exact meaning behind the Buddha's words until you forget what day it is, but sooner or later you have to let all of that go and actually do the work. If you ever find the time, no matter how short, I advise you to take it. I shall be gone for a while myself, however, I'm sure that you will all find some way to carry on. I know it'll be tough, but I have faith in you all.

Have a wonderful [insert prefered seasonal holiday here], and great New Year!

Be kind to each other.

Best wishes,

Jason

Comments

• JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Jason,
    Have a wonderful time at the retreat. Since I have a regular meditation practice going well, it's time for me to get my nose in some suttas. Will see what I can find online.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Metta Jason, See you when you get back and tell us all about it....

Hugs,
    Fede
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    This is a great time for a retreat. My own, first, solitary 14-day retreat was at New Year, nearly 40 years ago - and it snowed! It was in North Wales and, for the whole time, we were snowed in, with all telephone lines down, all communications cut. Wonderful how the outside world conspired with my intention!
  • edited December 2005
    Have a wonderful time, Jason! And have a wonderful holiday. I will be starting off the new year with a shorter meditation session - I am going to a 2 hour session at the yoga studio I go to and I can't wait to start off the new year that way.

Kim
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Thanks Jason.

I hope that your retreat and everything else you do, while you're gone, is filled with happiness, kindness and peace.

And I wish the same for everyone in our sangha too!

Best wishes and peace to all of you.

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    Have a good time at the retreat, and as Fede said, tell us how you got on when you're back.

Good luck,

Adrian
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Bye Elohim! I hope everything goes well, and that you get something out of your retreat. :D

I want to get a bunch of presents for everyone on NewBuddhist :)
    Of course, I'll have to keep them ALLLLLL to myself, but it's the thought that counts, no?

KIDDING.
    Read my sig for holiday wishes!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2005
    All,

Thank you everyone.

I will fill you all in on the details shortly.

Much to contemplate.

:)

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    So this means you're back....!! So, welcome back!! ;)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Have a groovy retreat. I have had people telling me to have a happy new year all day and I am sick of hearing it. I don't see the difference between today and tomorrow. Just another day.:mean:
  • edited January 2006
    OK Don't have a good New Year.......
  • edited January 2006
    Welcome back Elohim!
    I'm looking forward to hearing how it went.
    edited January 2006
    Abraham wrote:
    OK Don't have a good New Year.......

Thank you. I didn't by the way. I worked 11 hours.
  • edited January 2006
    Hi

Wish you a Happy New Year.
    I am from India. Shall we become friends?

Pl reply.

devsbm@gmail.com
    edited January 2006
    Hello devsbm...
    Come and join us in our new members thread, and tell us a bit about yourself!
    Think we have a first in that you are from India!
    Welcome!
  • edited January 2006
    Best Regards
    Looking forward to your return
    edited January 2006
    Thank you. I didn't by the way. I worked 11 hours.

Cheer up, Comic, it could be worse!

Here's a scenario of how for you...
    You could be jobless, with no unemployment benefit at all, and no income support either, no knowing when your next dollar is coming from, and in the red, in your bank account.
    You could have the threat of eviction hanging over you, because you can't pay the rent, and you could have a couple of court cases hanging over you, with no knowing what the outcome will be...
    How's that?

Care to join my world?
    But hand on heart, I still stand by my signature though...
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    CI,
    Yeah, it isn't fun working New Year's. I worked starting 7p New Year's Eve until 7a New Year's Day. Sorry it didn't go well for you. Just remember that it is impermanent and there will be other good days.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    FEDE!!!!!!!!

((((((((FEDE)))))))
    ((((((((FEDE)))))))
    ((((((((FEDE)))))))

Bear Hugs for when things stink even worse. But they are redeemable anytime so you can use them now also. No wonder you want to reach over to that little Frenchman in the Unemployment office who has a smug look on his face saying "I have a job and you don't" and do physical harm to his smug little French person. But remember it is all impermanent. In one way or another. Last year at this time I was hanging on for dear life and now I'm sitting here writing you this email. Ya never know what is going to happen.
    edited January 2006
    federica wrote:
    Cheer up, Comic, it could be worse!

Here's a scenario of how for you...
    You could be jobless, with no unemployment benefit at all, and no income support either, no knowing when your next dollar is coming from, and in the red, in your bank account.
    You could have the threat of eviction hanging over you, because you can't pay the rent, and you could have a couple of court cases hanging over you, with no knowing what the outcome will be...
    How's that?

Care to join my world?
    But hand on heart, I still stand by my signature though...

That is the reason I came back to Vegas. Except I had a forclosure hanging over my head. I am very happy everyone. I dind't mind working new years eve at all.
  • edited January 2006
    Just got back from the continent and I wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year.

May your practice be deep and your hearts full of warmth (especially if the central heating goes!).

A deep bow to everyone.

• edited January 2006
    Just got back from the continent and I wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year.

May your practice be deep and your hearts full of warmth (especially if the central heating goes!).

A deep bow to everyone.

Greetings and Happy New Year to you. too!
    edited January 2006
    All best wishes, BSF - and thanks for writing "Just got back from the continent". It only took me 5 minutes to get to asking "Which one?" As Brits, there is only one, isn't there? and we are only peripherally part of it. :rolleyesc:ukflag:
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Simon,
    What in the world are you talking about? One what? I'm asking because I'm truly interested. I plan on being one of those touristy Americans in a few years and trying to learn as much as I can about the culture. I'm sure the British Isles is so much different. From what Rev. Genryu has said, we're barbaric compared to you guys.
  • edited January 2006
    Jerbear, when we refer to "the continent" it usually means we are referring to Europe rather than any of the other 4 continents of the world.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about finding us any less barbaric though! I can honestly say that the level of customer service I've received when visiting the States far exceeds any I've recieved here. Plus, like most countries, there are places you wouldn't want to visit here unless you were in an armoured personnel carrier !!
    All in all it's not a bad old place to live though. :ukflag:
    edited January 2006
    All,

My dilemma:

So, I have returned from my retreat a little less than a week ago, and I have been thinking quite a bit. The retreat itself was typical, however, near the end of it Ajahn Prasert said that he would like to see me go to Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University in Thailand. He said that he knew someone there, and that he was fairly positive that he could get me a scholarship from his temple here, as well as his temple in Thailand. I didn't know what to say.

It sounds like a truly wonderful oppurtunity, however, I am unsure if I should accpet his offer. There is supposed to be an Internation Program where the courses are in offered in English, but I have heard that they are not always--sometimes they are in Thai. I imagine that it would be somewhat overwhelming, and I am honestly not sure if I could do it. I am afraid of wasting so much money, as well as leaving the United States for at least four years.

Any thoughts?

:confused:

Jason
    edited January 2006
    Something which has always, unfailingly stood me in good stead;

"If it feels good, do it:
    When in doubt - don't."

if you already have a feeling of apprehension, then a gut instinct is not something to be taken lightly or ignored and dismissed....
    When do you have to give a decision?
    Is there a 'get-out clause'.... so to speak?
  • edited January 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    All,

My dilemma:

It sounds like a truly wonderful oppurtunity, however, I am unsure if I should accpet his offer. There is supposed to be an Internation Program where the courses are in offered in English, but I have heard that they are not always--sometimes they are in Thai. I imagine that it would be somewhat overwhelming, and I am honestly not sure if I could do it. I am afraid of wasting so much money, as well as leaving the United States for at least four years.

Any thoughts?

:confused:

Jason
    I agree with Fede ( I know she will appreciate this)
    You may have answered your own question. However, If you feel in your heart that this is the opportunity of a lifetime. The funds will come your way.
    A variation of your own passage may read " If you cling to nothing, you can handle anything."
    Best Regards on a safe return
    edited January 2006
    Jason, dear heart,

What a wonderful dilemma! And what a joyful opportunity to put "practice into practice".

There is absolutely no way I would dare give any advice on the choice. My only humble contribution is to the toolbox of implements to help make it. If I may extend Fede's comment, I would suggest that you imagine that you are an old man, lying on your deathbed, reviewing your life. What will you regret? What memories will you cherish? What actions will you perceive as having been skillful?

Your logical, analytical mind, which we know, here, and love, will only take you so far in judgment. In order to make life-changing choices, we need the power of imagination because wisdom whispers to us through imagination rather than through will.

BTW, my stepson is a teacher in Thailand and you may PM me if you would like his email addy.
  • edited January 2006
    You have always appeared to me to be very dedicated in both your learning and practising of 'Buddhism'. I am returning to the UK this year to take a Law degree...Why? because I know that if I don't I will regret it for the rest of my life. Whatever your decision I wish you a very Good New Year!
    edited January 2006
    All,

Thank you.

Jason